Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Options for insulating layer vest?

justinch

What do you all recommend for a middle layer to wear on cool (30s-40s) mornings? Something packable, preferably. I have a sitka celsius midi now but was thinking of swapping for a vest. Don't really care about brand, color, etc.

I have the Sawtooth vest from First Lite. Good combo of synthetic insulation on the front and wool on the back so it breathes a bit better. I really like the Sitka Kelvin Lite vest too.

I have a Sitka Jetstream vest. It’s about 7-8 years old. I love the vest, EXCEPT for the fact the fleece liner picks up every damned cheat grass head or fir needle around. It’s a little heavy and I’d probably opt for something like the Kelvin instead.

I have a Sitka Jetstream vest. It’s about 7-8 years old. I love the vest, EXCEPT for the fact the fleece liner picks up every damned cheat grass head or fir needle around. It’s a little heavy and I’d probably opt for something like the Kelvin instead.

I have the Kelvin and it is the best. No burr picking up material and it is warm. Highly recommend it.

Depends on what you want to do while wearing it I suppose. For active insulation Polartec Alpha is hard to beat right now IMO. In R-value per ounce of course down is tops. Currently I use a Patagonia Nano Air Light vest on occasion, it's very high performance but not super durable. I pair it with a very light down hoody for summer backpacking and warmer spring/fall trips as my insulation combo. I've somewhat gone away from insulated vests much anymore, because covering your armpit area with insulation makes such a huge difference in heat retention, but it's a nice tool to have in the toolbox.
For an over-base-layer action layer on cool mornings something more like a very light softshell or windshirt works best for me, but I tend to run warm.

Also, be aware of the face fabric and DWR; it has a huge influence on breathability/dry time, wind resistance, etc. that can have more influence on performance than whatever insulation may lie within.

thanks for the ideas so far. what i had in mind as far as activity would be for mostly sitting/glassing/low activity after a morning hike to keep in the body heat. and easy to shed when it warms up. i'm still trying to find the best combo for me for an early september deer hunt around 8000'-9000'

thanks for the ideas so far. what i had in mind as far as activity would be for mostly sitting/glassing/low activity after a morning hike to keep in the body heat. and easy to shed when it warms up. i'm still trying to find the best combo for me for an early september deer hunt around 8000'-9000'
For just sitting, I had one of these in black for a while. It's a lot of bang for the weight: Montbell Alpine Light Vest

I tend to go from hot to freezing really quick so I like to toss on my puffy, rain jacket and rain pants. If it's warmer just rain gear.

I have a couple of down vests from Costco that I keep in my packs. They weigh next to nothing and are come with a pack bag. Works for me (but I am cheap, they are only around $10 and they usually have them early fall).

pseudo blaze

yeah... probably fine, especially in MT. The last thing I want though is for the one time I ever encounter a CO warden in the field for them to write me a ticket, because my vest isn't exactly blaze and since they had to take the time to drive out of town they sure as hell are gonna hang some paper.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back