First Lite Jacket Setup

fattybinz

I’m building up a set of first lite clothing. I bought base layers and now am in the market for a jacket. Was ready to pull the trigger on the uncompahgre 2.0, until I read some reviews saying it is pretty delicate. I push through some pretty nasty stuff, so that’s got me worried. So I’m thinking I’ve got a few options:

1 – Buy the uncompahgre and also get another tougher layer that can go over it….something light and tough that I can also put over everything while just glassing if it gets really cold. Some reviews mentioned that the uncompahgre loses a lot of its insulating power when something is layered over it, so not sure about this option. If I went this route, then what should I wear over? Men’s corrugate guide jacket?

2 – Just get the uncompahgre and take it off whenever I’m on the move. I get REALLY hot whenever I’m hiking….so even in 10-30 degrees, I'll hike with a base layer and a long sleeve t-shirt. I'll layer up once I sit down to glass or something. But, if for example I’m out into dark when it gets really cold, and I’m walking on flat or downhill terrain, I would like to keep that outer layer on, so I may not have any choice but to push through brush with my insulating layer.

I’ll do late season cow elk hunts about every other year, so I’d like a setup that will be warm enough for that, with enough base layers. I’ll mostly be hunting in the 25-65 degree range. Anyone have any ideas?

After spending a few weeks researching this issue. It seems the general consensus (which doesn’t exist in the hunting community) was Sitka was the toughest/best outer wear for the money with FL leading the charge in the base/mid layers.

On a budget I personally bought Black Ovis merino base/mid layers, an Eddie Bauer 650 fill down mid/insulating layer, and a Sitka Jetstream.

From what I read, the Jetstream was the best all around jacket for mountain hunting.

Do have rain gear to put on on top of it all incase of any major down pours.

Good luck and have fun piecing it all together, to be honest I was pretty happy to be done with it all. Enough info to make your head hurt!

If you're set on First Lite, the Catalyst softshell seems like it might work for your application. Late season I wear it over a midweight baselayer when its cold and I'm on the move. I'll also carry a vest or hoody that I put underneath if it's colder. When it's time to settle in to glass for awhile I have a giant Outdoor Research Puffy that I throw over everything. The Catalyst is like the Sitka Jetstream, but probably not quite as weatherproof.

For 90% of western rocky mountain hunts.
Wick Hoody
Brooks down sweater
Vapor Stormlight

If your in the Pacific NW or AK either get the SEAK or just get a grundens jacket.

Add the Cataylst if you're doing lots of late season hunts, or if you get cold easily (I do).

I'm a First Lite guy and have a pretty good kit put together after a few years of buying a piece or two per year. In the conditions you describe I'd probably wear my midweight merino base layer and have the tech fleece and catalyst soft shell in my pack. Last fall my deer hunt was in the teens in the morning (sunny and not real windy) and those three pieces kept me plenty warm even when sitting and glassing. I've got an Uncompahgre too, but I really only wear it in the duck blind. Since I've had it I've yet to do an active big game hunt where I needed to wear it.

I mostly hunt whitetails from a stand, but I run the catalyst soft shell and when the temperatures dip I layer the brooks down sweater underneath. The brooks is very delicate, but it fits under the soft shell better than the uncompahgre will

I use FL and KUIU. I have found pros and cons with both brands. In my opinion puffy coats and pants are put on once you are at your glassing/stand spot. For me synthetic base layers stink after wearing in just a few hours so I am a merino wool fan and find FL to be the most comfortable but less durable. KUIU is the most durable merino I have found but for me it is the least comfortable. Soft shell jackets are good to wear while hiking because they are durable but seem to weigh more.

After spending a few weeks researching this issue. It seems the general consensus (which doesn’t exist in the hunting community) was Sitka was the toughest/best outer wear for the money with FL leading the charge in the base/mid layers.

I agree with this. I have a lot of Sitka gear and First lite and I really like the FL base layers. I bought the Ridgeline pullover and uncompahgre vest this year, both of which are great additions. For light weight pants, I prefer the Corrugate pants from FL over Sitka ascent but for a heavier pant, I think the Sitka Timberline is tough to beat. I dont have experience with FL jackets but I do have the Sitka Jetstream and it is also tough to beat.

I am super fortunate to have access to guide pricing for both Sitka and FL, so I have quite a bit of experience with both.

I am a pretty big fan of my Catalyst. I also had a Jetstream jacket, and I way prefer the Catalyst when being active. The Jetstream is a little bit more windproof though....

As for an insulating layer, none of them breath well. I like the Umcompagre, but if I was looking at where to spend the money, I would just buy a hooded nano puff or something similar of steepandcheap.com, REI outlet, etc.

If I was going to be looking at a cold weather setup for moving around a lot, I would do the Catalyst and a Klamath hoodie underneath, then add remove base layers as necessary.

If you are looking at pants for that time of season, nothing beats the Sitka Timberlines. They are the cat's PJs...

So when you size up your jackets for layering purposes, are you "swimming" in them if you were to wear the jacket alone?

So when you size up your jackets for layering purposes, are you "swimming" in them if you were to wear the jacket alone?
I don't size up jackets for layering, I just order my size. Sitka gear (FL probably does too) is cut with layering in mind so unless you are close to the next size up, you should be able to go with whatever size you normally wear.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back