MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

On the hunt for the perfect mid/outer layer (2022)

WestKyHunt

What does everyone reccomend (or is currently using) for a warm packable layer that can be used as an outer layer in ~40° temps and as a mid layer when it gets colder?

I currently own an older version of the Sitka Kelvin Lite and dislike the hood on it. Other than that it is okay, just feels as if it would be easy to tear, so I tend to baby it or not wear at all.

What's on my radar thus far, in no particular order.

First Lite Source Jacket
Kuiu Wind Pro Fleece
King's XKG Transition Thermolite
Sitka Kelvin Active
Sitka Traverse

Added info.

I just purchased a Jetstream and have a disdain for having more than one hood when wearing multiple garmets.

Jetstream and Timberline pants came in today!

Eyeing some Badlands jackets as well now. My buddy has their resist jacket and it seems surprisingly warm for the price

I like the Sitka fanatic hoody, or the FL furnace. FL is a bit heavier, kinda depends on how much hiking I’m doing.

I just picked this up for still hunting whitetail, I know @Sytes is a big fan and has a closet full of their gear.

View attachment 252153
Better sweater? Honestly that would be a sweet mid layer and outer layer on decent days

I use the kuiu peloton 240 as a mid or outside layer depending on temps.
When it was below zero I dressed in a medium base, a fleece sweater and then the 240 over. If I slowed and got cool I could add a puffy or if too warm shed the sweater. Worked well.
My wife has threatened to steal mine.

Skre gear the last few years over a patagonia fleece or wool sweaters. Or the old windshear berber fleece from cabellas, when cabellas made ok stuff.
Any colder its the down parka now. Thicker bases is the middle ground.

I ordered a few Black Friday items which I tried out this morning while plowing snow.
Alpaca sweater- super light and warm.
Kuiu strong fleece-it over the alpaca was very comfortable.

I think my new mid layers are warmer, lighter and offer more movement.

It was -2 this morning.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMD
Back