Opinions ?

How about this one: Has equipment evolved to the point that the F&G should consider either restricting equipment or shortening archery seasons? Think about it. In MT, you can hunt for 6 weeks in archery season. When that season was set up, most of the equipment was deadly out to about what? 40 yards in most people's hands? That effective range has about doubled since? I know this year was an exception, given all of the snow we had, but in most years the best general season bulls seem to be killed by bowhunters.

Now before you get your hackles up, I bowhunt, and I'm not advocating for a shorter bow season, but I do think of this question sometimes and wonder if the "hard" hunt has gotten a little too "easy"

it is not a shot I would take or encourage anyone I shoot with to take.

JB and RB are great archery shots no doubt. They are good bow tuners and have great form. I'm sure I could learn a lot from them. I would have been impressed with a 3d target shot at that distance. I don't see the need to prove it on a live animal though.

This falls under the title of "stunt" rather than accomplishment. If this was Business as usual then Jim should be on the field archery tournament trail kicking ass and taking names....

Here is a picture of the 101 yard target at the Redding Trail shoot.

n1493630849_30136140_5844.jpg

Check out the spread in the group...That is with sponsored target shooters in the group and doesn't even include those arrows that missed the entire target.

Very few target archers were able to put 2 arrows in the orange....

Definitely falls under the "stunt" category and shouldn't be even messed with on live game. Just my opinion.

I do my fair share of screwing around with such shots, but that is it, just targets. Usually just costs me an expensive arrow.

I have to agree with wingman on this one it is really no differnt than a long range rifle shot.If the bow is set up for that shot and the person behind the bow knows what he is doing it could be done without problems.Just like anything there are guys out there that can shoot good and guys that should not even be out there.If you put the time in and practice a lots can be done with modern bow equipment.I myself would not even attempt the shot.I practice out to 70 yards and can keep arrows within a replacment core on a 3d target but only limit my bowhunting shots to 45 yards.Even then things have to be perfect for me to take that shot and I have to pay close attention to my form and how the animal is acting.

I won't knock somebody for taking a hail-mary - especially on game farm trash. :D

But just curious about how long does it take a 400 grain arrow starting at 300fps to go 133 yards, roughly? That shot was a stunt, regardless of how talented he is shooting arrows. That farm goat had was moving it's head all around, looked toward the hunters, looked away, looked back after the string popped, then looked away, then got nailed by the arrow.. Pretty awesome shot though, he's super lucky in that the animal didn't take a step or three after he released.

But just curious about how long does it take a 400 grain arrow starting at 300fps to go 133 yards, roughly?

Quick math, assuming an average velocity of 275 fps.

133 yards X 3 ft/yard = 399 feet.

399 ft / 275 fps = 1.45 seconds. That is a pretty long time, and I doubt most bows will average 275 fps over a distance that far. Maybe.

How long did it take for the sound to get there? .362 seconds. So, the animal has about 1.1 seconds from the time he hears the arrow release from the bow, until the arrow arrives, assuming an arrow can maintain that average velocity.

Quick math, assuming an average velocity of 275 fps.

133 yards X 3 ft/yard = 399 feet.

399 ft / 275 fps = 1.45 seconds. That is a pretty long time, and I doubt most bows will average 275 fps over a distance that far. Maybe.

How long did it take for the sound to get there? .362 seconds. So, the animal has about 1.1 seconds from the time he hears the arrow release from the bow, until the arrow arrives, assuming an arrow can maintain that average velocity.

I'm impressed that you factored in the speed of sound. I like a hunter that knows math.

But honestly, I'd have tried that same shot and I'm nowhere near that skilled. It's a world record blesha buck for God's sake!!

Any time you release an arrow or fire a bullet you must take responsiblity for the outcome good or bad. Bad hits humble a hunter in a hurry especially with a bow, with follow up shots being rare. To each their own but I know what I would do.

I am not a fan of contrived celebrations such as ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS putting the bow in the air. It's like Tiger's fist pump or the nascar guy that does the backflip. I understand it in the heat of the moment, but now it is just too contrived.
I have missed shots and wounded animals. Each time I learn a little about myself, my abilities and what chances I am willing to take. Today I am into minimizing risk. I'm not sure everyone shares my view.

No wonder my 7 year-old grandson doesn't want to study woodsmanship. Now days you just have to climnb in a box, over a pile of corn and shoot animals with laser sighted equipment. IMO anything over 33 yards is pushing the ethical limit. Oh ya! Pump that hand in the air to show your dominance over an animal that wasn't even in the same area code as you when shot. Good thing he had his scentlok on cause you never know a strong wind (tornatic) might have blown the scent to the animal.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back