PEAX Equipment

Opinions on Swaro EL SV and SLC HD

hunt1up

So I'm looking at a few used pairs of Swaro binos. I'm considering the EL Swarovisions and also the SLC HDs. Both are 10x42.

Anyone with first hand experience with either/both care to weigh in on their likes/dislikes?

Have the EL SV & like em...had the old SLC. I'd say your personal ergonomic preference would be the decider between the new models. Prices comparable between the two you're considering?

Have the EL SV & like em...had the old SLC. I'd say your personal ergonomic preference would be the decider between the new models. Prices comparable between the two you're considering?

Yes, price is similar. My experience with any of the alpha glass is limited. I have looked through some older Swaro 15s but that was years ago. Seing either in person will be a challenge for me as the nearest dealer is an hour away.

My latest binos have been a pair of Vortex Viper HDs which I didn't use much. I just used my Zeiss Conquest HDs for a week in WY and was mostly satisfied with them. Though the eyecups on the Zeiss leave a LOT to be desired, at least for me. They don't lock well and I, on numerous occasions, found myself looking down to readjust them. Kinda chapped my butt as they are $900 binos.

Figured if I can find some gently used Swaros for a little more money then I'll try them.

I would suggest that before you buy a set. Take a look at the Leica Ultravids and the Zeiss Victory T* FL series binos. Let me start by saying that I'm a Leica junkie

My dad has a set of SLC's. I have a set of Ultravids. The Leica's are significantly lighter. I do not like the feel of the EL's in the hand (that's me, personal preference and all). I also found that the Leica gave a bit better color fidelity, better Shadow detail, and less eye strain. The swarovision system does not agree with my eyes. I can explain some of the reasons if you pm me.

A high end pair of Binocs is quite an investement, one you only want to make once. If your dealer that is an hour away stocks all three brands, make the trip and look through as many sets as you can. Find what works best for your eyes. It is well worth the fuel and time to make sure that you have no regrets with a top tier bino purchase.

Yes, price is similar. My experience with any of the alpha glass is limited. I have looked through some older Swaro 15s but that was years ago. Seing either in person will be a challenge for me as the nearest dealer is an hour away.

My latest binos have been a pair of Vortex Viper HDs which I didn't use much. I just used my Zeiss Conquest HDs for a week in WY and was mostly satisfied with them. Though the eyecups on the Zeiss leave a LOT to be desired, at least for me. They don't lock well and I, on numerous occasions, found myself looking down to readjust them. Kinda chapped my butt as they are $900 binos.

Figured if I can find some gently used Swaros for a little more money then I'll try them.

Alpha is correct. Price being comparable I'd pick the EL. You won''t be sorry either way.

I would suggest that before you buy a set. Take a look at the Leica Ultravids and the Zeiss Victory T* FL series binos. Let me start by saying that I'm a Leica junkie

My dad has a set of SLC's. I have a set of Ultravids. The Leica's are significantly lighter. I do not like the feel of the EL's in the hand (that's me, personal preference and all). I also found that the Leica gave a bit better color fidelity, better Shadow detail, and less eye strain. The swarovision system does not agree with my eyes. I can explain some of the reasons if you pm me.

A high end pair of Binocs is quite an investement, one you only want to make once. If your dealer that is an hour away stocks all three brands, make the trip and look through as many sets as you can. Find what works best for your eyes. It is well worth the fuel and time to make sure that you have no regrets with a top tier bino purchase.

The nearest dealer is a BassPro. Being in corn country, even the big stores don't always stock the gear one would buy for western hunting. Most local hunters can get by with some $100-300 glass to see a deer in the woods. I'll call and see if they have what I need to look at. Leica and Zeiss are on my radar too. Thanks for the insight.

Even if they don't "Stock up" they should have at least one set from each of the manufacturers. It is worth the trip just to get them in your hands and see how they work for you. If they don't have a 10X42 in each they should have something close.

Also, Feel free to ask, many sporting goods stores will let you examine the binocs outside if you have an employee with you. even if you are just trying to read distant license plates or bumper stickers, it's better than looking at an optics chart in the store.

My two cents after owning various binocs and scopes (including Zeiss, Swaro's and now Vortex). My first set was a set of Nikon's. My next set were the Swaro SLC and then EL's bc they were "better". Then I looked through the pair I have now (Vortex Viper HD's). I took them out and could not tell the difference between the EL's and the Vortex, so I sold the EL's and pocketed the cash difference. I was so impressed with the Vortex nocs that I started looking at scope by them. Bought the Viper PST and compared it to the over-priced Nightforce NXS that I had always used. Again, not enough difference to justify the price differential. Take home point would be....Buy the best that you can afford and make sure that youre not just buying the name. Apply that logic to optics, guns, camo clothes, trucks etc. Custom rifles be the same game. A Remington 700 Sendero or a Tikka T3 will shoot almost as good as a $5000 custom rifle and can be had for a lot less which allows you the cash to buy other hunting gear, or a trip, or..... Im sure some of the gear snobs here will disagree but thats my experience and advice to you.
Nik

Also, Feel free to ask, many sporting goods stores will let you examine the binocs outside if you have an employee with you. even if you are just trying to read distant license plates or bumper stickers, it's better than looking at an optics chart in the store

...good advice. Remember, looking at the Brazilian babes selling South American hunts at SCI thru a pair of swaros at 100 feet is not a practical 'demo'.;)

I'm hearing more and more good things about Vortex...thinking about some in 8x42. Any owner's thoughts?

My two cents after owning various binocs and scopes (including Zeiss, Swaro's and now Vortex). My first set was a set of Nikon's. My next set were the Swaro SLC and then EL's bc they were "better". Then I looked through the pair I have now (Vortex Viper HD's). I took them out and could not tell the difference between the EL's and the Vortex, so I sold the EL's and pocketed the cash difference. I was so impressed with the Vortex nocs that I started looking at scope by them. Bought the Viper PST and compared it to the over-priced Nightforce NXS that I had always used. Again, not enough difference to justify the price differential. Take home point would be....Buy the best that you can afford and make sure that youre not just buying the name. Apply that logic to optics, guns, camo clothes, trucks etc. Custom rifles be the same game. A Remington 700 Sendero or a Tikka T3 will shoot almost as good as a $5000 custom rifle and can be had for a lot less which allows you the cash to buy other hunting gear, or a trip, or..... Im sure some of the gear snobs here will disagree but thats my experience and advice to you.
Nik

I will agree with most all of that. I actually just sold my Viper HDs. I liked them. Good build quality, nice glass, but just didn't fit in my hands like I wanted. I also have a set of Kaibabs that I hardly use, but I like them too. And I shoot 2 Tikka T3s, lol! That being said, I guess I just want to try something different. I've owned and used plenty of binos under $1000 and I suppose I just want to see what all the hype is about. Plus, I want to move my Conquest HDs, so I'm back in the bino market.

I appreciate the insight!

...good advice. Remember, looking at the Brazilian babes selling South American hunts at SCI thru a pair of swaros at 100 feet is not a practical 'demo'.;)

I'm hearing more and more good things about Vortex...thinking about some in 8x42. Any owner's thoughts?

I had the Viper HDs and as I mentioned above, also have the Kaibabs. My dad has the cheaper Diamondbacks. All are very nice. The Vipers have a very "robust" feel to them, very quality. They just didn't fit me. They just felt too small in my hands, but I have no other complaints.

Got a pretty good deal on a pair of EL Swarovisions so I bit the bullet. These things better be nice!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back