Swarovski Bino Upgrade

Are the NL Pures as tough as the ELs? I think the double bridge on the ELs just looks like it would take more punishment. I do punish my gear. When I fell in SE AK in 2021, I got up and my bino case was completely full of blood red mud. I had rolled over those rental ELs hard for Lord knows how many revolutions. I literally washed them off in the stream and they were good to go.

I've got a line on some used 10x42 ELs. Some people who like to encourage me to spend my money ( not going to throw you under the bus @BackofBeyond )
are saying to keep saving for the NL Pure.

I guess I need to spend more time on Rokslide
It all depends on the price tag for the used EL’s. Looking at the price between new EL 12x vs new NL 12x is only ~ $400 (Amazon because it’s easy.) So ya, I think NL’s are worth the $400 marginal increase in price for what you get.

Are the NL Pures as tough as the ELs? I think the double bridge on the ELs just looks like it would take more punishment. I do punish my gear. When I fell in SE AK in 2021, I got up and my bino case was completely full of blood red mud. I had rolled over those rental ELs hard for Lord knows how many revolutions. I literally washed them off in the stream and they were good to go.

I've got a line on some used 10x42 ELs. Some people who like to encourage me to spend my money ( not going to throw you under the bus @BackofBeyond )
are saying to keep saving for the NL Pure.

I guess I need to spend more time on Rokslide
I’ll let you know in a year after beating them around.

I’ve never had mechanical issues with my ELs.

Pures don’t look weak to me.

Use update. Elk on the ridge above house still look like elk with the Pures.

Last edited:
Bino's have to be the most damaged and abused item of all optics. They are also somewhat fragile. The recent switch to bino pouches probably help them from some damage as they are not exposed all the time and swinging around. The worst event I ever had was when I had binos in my hand for bird watching at a fish hatchery in AZ and hit a patch of ice... yes ice in AZ and I went into full blown Charlie Brown missing the football kick mode. Slammed my hands down to my sides to break my fall and the 8X32 in my hand were destroyed...
Of course, the smart thing to do would be to come to you for a Leupold 171565 instead
I’ll let you know in a year after beating them around.

I’ve never had mechanical issues with my ELs.

Pures don’t look weak to me.
It's just me playing Worst Case Scenario. There are tons of SLCs out there with the single bridge. I'm sure it would be out there if the design was weaker.

Of course, the smart thing to do would be to come to you for a Leupold 171565 instead

It's just me playing Worst Case Scenario. There are tons of SLCs out there with the single bridge. I'm sure it would be out there if the design was weaker.
I have a 171565 staring at me right now. Beat any 2023 price increase and buy now

I’d hand deliver them even
You shouldn't have talked up the SLCs. Now I"m hot for Swaro
NL 12's for me, mainly being used in the North Idaho Jungle with no issues. Awesome field of view. No forehead rest yet but will likely add to it this year. You will have zero regrets and will continue to make TheTone and others very jelly.
You are not helping me do the right thing financially

One of my good friends did exactly what I was considering last year - buying the 12x42s and getting rid of the 8.5s and 15s for several months. His conclusion was the 12s were not as good as the 15s for stationary glassing and not as good for mobile glassing as the 8.5s. He returned his 12s.

I trusted his advice. We have been hunting together for 15 years and think similar on optics.

Fast forward recently and I decided to see what was for sale on Rokslide. An East Coast hunter had bought both 8x and 10x Pures. He decided he needed 8xs for his hunting. Very good price on his 10s. Quick conversation and I had the funds in his hands.

I received them last night. Best packing job I’ve ever seen. Binos are new, perfect condition.

I’ve been playing with them this morning glassing hillsides from my house. Great glass, slightly better than my 8.5 ELs. I’m going to need to play with these for a while. Winter deer/elk and then bear season.

Worst case, I can definitely sell for my purchase price.

Happy!
I have the 12’s NL and love them.

That’s the type of endorsement I don’t need to hear from another brush country hunter
I just was researching this thread to possibly get some 8x for timber hunting. You guys suck. Now I’m looking at the Nl. I Mostly hunt thicker timber for whitetails but I also have a Colorado deer hunt in the next few years. 16 points right now.

After a season of use I’m not convinced the 10x42 NLs are better than the 8.5x52 ELs.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back