Swarovski Bino Upgrade

As for the humble brag - I paid 4500 for the truck I’m currently driving. 900 for the 1st pair of Swarovski binocs I bought in 95. I won my 10x42els in 2013 and sold them and paid 700 extra for the nl pures last year. They are not cheap but they are hands down the very best.
I agree I know a lot of guys who are underwater into trucks, campers and utvs who can't believe I can afford to apply for out of state hunts. I don't feel you guys should have to justify your spending either way. I was just busting some chops.

As for the humble brag - I paid 4500 for the truck I’m currently driving. 900 for the 1st pair of Swarovski binocs I bought in 95. I won my 10x42els in 2013 and sold them and paid 700 extra for the nl pures last year. They are not cheap but they are hands down the very best.
Well the most impressive part of that statement is the 4500 for the truck. You must be a handy son of a gun. You are saving a ton on vehicle ownership costs. On my way to deal my 08 tundra. Don’t want to but reliability is starting to be an issue for any longer distance hunts. I know I’m going to get taken for at least a pair or two nl’s on this transaction

I rented 10x from Tracy Barnes at Check Outside for my 2021 Alaska a trip. It's a cheap way to get real field time with each magnification. You can rent-to-own, so you could buy the ones you want to keep and return the others.

This beats the hell out of looking across the parking lot at Sportsman's Whorehouse.

NL 12's for me, mainly being used in the North Idaho Jungle with no issues. Awesome field of view. No forehead rest yet but will likely add to it this year. You will have zero regrets and will continue to make TheTone and others very jelly.
#metoo

I was seriously going to ask how one justifies $3000 binos and now I get it.....drive cheaper cars and get costly binos... :) I guess I'll just keep driving my costly truck since I use it way more than binos...lol

At them is fine...thru them is when the trouble begins.

Bad news... On Sunday I posted that I avoid looking thru nicer binos than my own. Then on Monday we stopped at a friend's place and ended up looking thru SLCs and Leica geovid rangefinder binos. Started down the path. My wife is interested too so I told her it was an expensive stop we made. Not to mention the custom rifles.

It's a short drive to @Mica Man house, maybe he has some elk in the field I can look at with his NL pures 😀

it's all about priorities.
I agree....some people find more use in certain things, I myself don't use binos enough to find them a priority. Some day I will go to the store, take my bions and test a pair against them....I don't do it now because I might spend $3000...I doubt it would make enough difference, because I personally don't think with my older eyes it would make a difference, but I don't want to risk it...LOL

One of my good friends did exactly what I was considering last year - buying the 12x42s and getting rid of the 8.5s and 15s for several months. His conclusion was the 12s were not as good as the 15s for stationary glassing and not as good for mobile glassing as the 8.5s. He returned his 12s.

I trusted his advice. We have been hunting together for 15 years and think similar on optics.

Fast forward recently and I decided to see what was for sale on Rokslide. An East Coast hunter had bought both 8x and 10x Pures. He decided he needed 8xs for his hunting. Very good price on his 10s. Quick conversation and I had the funds in his hands.

I received them last night. Best packing job I’ve ever seen. Binos are new, perfect condition.

I’ve been playing with them this morning glassing hillsides from my house. Great glass, slightly better than my 8.5 ELs. I’m going to need to play with these for a while. Winter deer/elk and then bear season.

Worst case, I can definitely sell for my purchase price.

Happy!

Attachments

• 42C2342D-883D-4A1F-B2F7-7647249618FE.jpeg
    42C2342D-883D-4A1F-B2F7-7647249618FE.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
One of my good friends did exactly what I was considering last year - buying the 12x42s and getting rid of the 8.5s and 15s for several months. His conclusion was the 12s were not as good as the 15s for stationary glassing and not as good for mobile glassing as the 8.5s. He returned his 12s.

I trusted his advice. We have been hunting together for 15 years and think similar on optics.

Fast forward recently and I decided to see what was for sale on Rokslide. An East Coast hunter had bought both 8x and 10x Pures. He decided he needed 8xs for his hunting. Very good price on his 10s. Quick conversation and I had the funds in his hands.

I received them last night. Best packing job I’ve ever seen. Binos are new, perfect condition.

I’ve been playing with them this morning glassing hillsides from my house. Great glass, slightly better than my 8.5 ELs. I’m going to need to play with these for a while. Winter deer/elk and then bear season.

Worst case, I can definitely sell for my purchase price.

Happy!
Jealous!!

Are the NL Pures as tough as the ELs? I think the double bridge on the ELs just looks like it would take more punishment. I do punish my gear. When I fell in SE AK in 2021, I got up and my bino case was completely full of blood red mud. I had rolled over those rental ELs hard for Lord knows how many revolutions. I literally washed them off in the stream and they were good to go.

I've got a line on some used 10x42 ELs. Some people who like to encourage me to spend my money ( not going to throw you under the bus @BackofBeyond )
are saying to keep saving for the NL Pure.

I guess I need to spend more time on Rokslide

Last edited:
Are the NL Pures as tough as the ELs? I think the double bridge on the ELs just looks like it would take more punishment. I do punish my gear. When I fell in SE AK in 2021, I got up and my bino case was completely full of blood red mud. I had rolled over those rental ELs hard for Lord know how many revolutions. I literally washed them off in the stream and they were good to go.

I've got a line on some used 10x42 ELs. Some people who like to encourage me to spend my money ( not going to throw you under the bus @BackofBeyond )
are saying to keep saving for the NL Pure.

I guess I need to spend more time on Rokslide
Bino's have to be the most damaged and abused item of all optics. They are also somewhat fragile. The recent switch to bino pouches probably help them from some damage as they are not exposed all the time and swinging around. The worst event I ever had was when I had binos in my hand for bird watching at a fish hatchery in AZ and hit a patch of ice... yes ice in AZ and I went into full blown Charlie Brown missing the football kick mode. Slammed my hands down to my sides to break my fall and the 8X32 in my hand were destroyed...

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hardan9
Back