Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Swarovski Bino Upgrade

I’ve used 10s for 30+ years and it took a month or so to really get used to the 12s handheld. I use them almost daily, had them out today on a hike. On a tripod the 12nl is crazy awesome to look through.

This thread has me wanting to make some bad financial decisions here soon. But if it’s a 30 year investment it can’t be a bad financial decision right? Similar to a house??

This thread has me wanting to make some bad financial decisions here soon. But if it’s a 30 year investment it can’t be a bad financial decision right? Similar to a house??
Just think about it this way, if inflation continues and the dollar continues to decline they will eventually cost 6k. Better get them now while you can. 😉

What are your thoughts on hunting thicker lodgepole and similar with the 12s? Are they manageable? I guess in comparison to my EL 10x they are relatively equal in terms of FOV, so it's just magnification.

Yes, they’re manageable. I did it in Montana around Thanksgiving. On that hunt, I was getting up to ridge tops, and then glassing across drainages and stuff like that also. If I only planned to be hunting the lodge pole all day, and not looking anywhere else, I would probably bring my 8s, but you’ll definitely get by with the 12s.
They are a lot closer to the 10 el, in my opinion, than they are to the 15 SLCs.

I have an outdoor gear rental shop located in Boise. Standard operations are to ship products to hunters to use, three day minimum rental.

I’m going to contact them and see if they’ll let me rent for one day, with pick up, 10x and 12x NLs. I’ll take them along with my 8.5 ELs and 15s to glass winter mule deer.

NL 12's for me, mainly being used in the North Idaho Jungle with no issues. Awesome field of view. No forehead rest yet but will likely add to it this year. You will have zero regrets and will continue to make TheTone and others very jelly.
That’s the type of endorsement I don’t need to hear from another brush country hunter

I really am contemplating some of these, but I really have been enjoying my Leica 2200 HD-B range finding binoculars. Not sure I could go back to packing a separate range finder.

Of course thinking it through, I enjoy knowing the range all the time, but I'm not sure I've fired a shot since I've had them that I actually needed to know the range to make a shot...

I really am contemplating some of these, but I really have been enjoying my Leica 2200 HD-B range finding binoculars. Not sure I could go back to packing a separate range finder.

Of course thinking it through, I enjoy knowing the range all the time, but I'm not sure I've fired a shot since I've had them that I actually needed to know the range to make a shot...
I went back without hesitation. I started carrying it with my range finder binos. The range finder binos are great when glassing for someone’s shot or working a hillside and seeing how far to get to my shooting spot. Under 200 yards it was always a lot more difficult to use the binos than the range finder if I needed to do it quick or sneaky

Do you archery hunt? I skipped the rangefinder/binos because I didn’t want to be messing with 12x binos to confirm which pin to use.

I never wanted the extra weight of the range finding capability on my binos.
I'll be honest my friend this thread seems like a humble brag and man is it making me jealous. Heck if you hadn't mentioned you had family in line for your 8.5's I would be texting you for a price.
My vote is 10x but I have never looked through 12's with that field of view.

I'll be honest my friend this thread seems like a humble brag and man is it making me jealous. Heck if you hadn't mentioned you had family in line for your 8.5's I would be texting you for a price.
My vote is 10x but I have never looked through 12's with that field of view.
It’s not a brag.

Best money I have spent on outdoor gear is on good binoculars.

I begged, borrowed and stole to finance them. My wife is fine with my crazy purchases as long as it’s not from the family budget. Rifles, pistols and other items have been sold to cash flow Swaro.

It’s not a brag.

Best money I have spent on outdoor gear is on good binoculars.

I begged, borrowed and stole to finance them. My wife is fine with my crazy purchases as long as it’s not from the family budget. Rifles, pistols and other items have been sold to cash flow Swaro.
It was definitely intended as a compliment regardless of how you pay for them. I'm just a little jealous I bet those are awesome! I agree your best money is spent on binos and boots.

As for the humble brag - I paid 4500 for the truck I’m currently driving. 900 for the 1st pair of Swarovski binocs I bought in 95. I won my 10x42els in 2013 and sold them and paid 700 extra for the nl pures last year. They are not cheap but they are hands down the very best.

I paid 200 for a pair of barrel compromised SLC 10-x42, had them made whole (like new) by Swaro for shipping costs & later negotiated a fair price & trade for the EL's. Bought the Pures used from a damn good HT seller who had Swaro go thru them before delivering to me for a very fair price...and gave Jr. the EL's. Win win...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back