Caribou Gear Tarp

Swarovski Bino Upgrade

brymoore

I’m going to upgrade by binos from Swaro 8.5x42 ELs to NL Pures. Love my ELs but I made the mistake of looking out of NLs. I’m trying to decide between 8x42, 10x42 or 12x42. I’ll buy the forehead rest.

I currently have 15x56s and 65 ATS I use too.

My understanding is the Field of View is outstanding in the NLs. The 10x42 NLs (399 FOV) will have the same FOV to my 8.5 ELs (399 FOV). I won’t lose any FOV upgrading my magnification. However, should I consider getting the 8x42s (477 FOV) for fantastic FOV knowing I can tripod my 15s when glassing? 12 NLs FOV is 339 - 10 ELs are 336 for comparison.

Using the Forehead rests I should be able to stabilize the 10s and 12s better. Definitely puts the 10s in play for consideration but how does it work with the 12s? Any experience? Can I stabilize 12s with my hands? If I get 12s, the 15s might get sold. Might.

Which of the three optic magnifications would you buy in my situation? FOV vs Magnification stabilization. I know I’m way overthinking this.

I have the 12s, and have no problem stabilizing them for shorter, closer-in looks. I don’t use the forehead rest. The field of view is so good that, even with the 12x magnification they are wider than my old Zeiss. But where they really shine is on a tripod. They are incredible on a tripod, giving remarkable detail even at great distance.

I imagine if you got the 12s, your 15s would be a little redundant. If you want to keep the 15s, go with one of the lower magnification models.

I have the 12s. They have replaced my 10 ELs. They’re an incredible binocular

If you’re a coues deer hunter you may miss the 15 SLC but if not I think you’ll like the 12 Pures enough that they’ll replace everything else. It’s nice ditching having to carry binos on your chest and another pair in your pack.
You can hand hold them pretty well. The magnification may be a bit much if you are still hunting lodgepole or something like that.

I have those compact 8x CL for that.

I have the 12s. Absolutely love them and glassed circles around everyone else this year. I have the forehead rest and find it helpful glassing when hiking. As @Sammich Freak said, off a tripod they are amazing. Put a couple spotting scopes to shame. If you are going to run them off a tripod with any regularity go 12s. If you will not be glassing off a tripod go with 10s.

10x. you already have 15s, why buy a bino you might struggle to stabilize (12).

and 8 is underpowered compared to 10s that are easy enough to use hand held, and fantastic on a tripod. Cant fathom FOV of 8 versus 10 makes a like of difference, It would not the way I grid as I glass for longer sits—except I would be missing some animals fooling around with 8s versus my 10s.

I use 10 EL and a swaro spotter. Do not have 15s but have borrowed/used swaro 15s on a couple sheep hunts in the past.

Rumor has it my new 10 ELs were funded via a full body salted sheep cape with enuf cash leftover to give the wife $300 cash mad money after all said and done. Pephaps that is why I have a euro of my ram….

Last edited:
I’m going to upgrade by binos from Swaro 8.5x42 ELs to NL Pures. Love my ELs but I made the mistake of looking out of NLs. I’m trying to decide between 8x42, 10x42 or 12x42. I’ll buy the forehead rest.

I currently have 15x56s and 65 ATS I use too.

My understanding is the Field of View is outstanding in the NLs. The 10x42 NLs (399 FOV) will have the same FOV to my 8.5 ELs (399 FOV). I won’t lose any FOV upgrading my magnification. However, should I consider getting the 8x42s (477 FOV) for fantastic FOV knowing I can tripod my 15s when glassing? 12 NLs FOV is 339 - 10 ELs are 336 for comparison.

Using the Forehead rests I should be able to stabilize the 10s and 12s better. Definitely puts the 10s in play for consideration but how does it work with the 12s? Any experience? Can I stabilize 12s with my hands? If I get 12s, the 15s might get sold. Might.

Which of the three optic magnifications would you buy in my situation? FOV vs Magnification stabilization. I know I’m way overthinking this.
I have the forehead stabilizer for the NL pure. Love it, but keeps getting caught in my bino harness.

Will sell it to anyone for a big discount. PM me if you’re interested.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back