Caribou Gear Tarp

For those of you that own Swaro....worth it and why?

WNC2500

I have read on this forum over the last few years and hear raving reports about Swaro binos. I have been a vortex owner since I started hunting out west in 2016. I own a pair of 12x50 Razors, and a Razor 4000 rangefinder. I have been very pleased with both, and have no complaints as far as hunting with both.

I hear you guys talk about buy once, cry once, and I also see everyone type about how crystal clear they are. With that being said, let's just say I decide to buy a pair of swaros. So many people ask for others opinions on guns and cartridge selections, so weigh in on optics for me.

1) What model would you buy? EL? SLC? others?
2) Would you buy the rangefinder version? EL Range.
3) If you were a previous owner of something else, and switched to swaro, what made you switch?
4) Is Swarovski the top notch premium brand in optics for the hunters? Has the durability proved itself to be worth the $??

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience. Looking forward to learning about what you guys think is the premium brand.

I have the SLCs in 10x and 15x. The 15x are standard tripod glassing for deer hunting in Arizona. My 10x go with me everywhere. Some folks I bumped into in January out in the desert who were using the razors just about crapped themselves when they looked through my 15x SLCs. I actually think there is more value in the viper lineup than the razors. The razors are pricey, and right now there are good deals on the Swarovskis. The rangefinder binos are crazy expensive to the point I didn’t give them a serious consideration. I bought what I bought because they are great binos and I didn’t want to spend $1k+ for binoculars I didn’t love.

1) SLC are now some other brand or something. They don't make them any more. @Schaaf would be able to answer this.
2) I personally don't think I would buy the rangefinding EL's.
3) I had previously owned nikon, konus, tasco, and others. Had a buddy let me look through his at dawn and dusk and there is ZERO comparison in my opinion even though I was comparing them to shit binos.
4) I think this is one of the top notch brands. Yes they have a lifetime warranty that covers if their product fails, if you ruin them its not their fault don't expect them to pay for your mistake. I have had to use my Swaro warranty, they went above and beyond my expecataiton and am glad they have a lifetime warranty. Vortex pushes that lifetime warranty in my opinion to sell things in the mass numbers...why its because you'll need it at some point because their stuff just isn't top shelf quality imo.

I will add that I recently bought a swaro spotter, wife wasn't super pleased with the price tag. Today we were out and about and she looked through it and was amazed how crisp and clear it was. I asked does it justify the price tag I paid? Her response was its like looking at the critter from a few feet away. Every detail was able to be seen.

Buy what you are happy with. I have a pair if 10x42 SLCs I bought 15 years ago. A buddy had a pair of the HD Vipers or what ever the top end Vortex are. We compared then side by side, very close, but at a mile I could see individual balusters on a deck with swaros and couldn't with the vortex. At dusk they were pretty close, but swaros won again. My FIL had has had a couple of the Viper spotting scopes, the smaller 50mm and the 80mm. Neither held a candle to my ziess which I've compared SxS with a couple swaro non HDs.

The resale on vortex seems to be ok as well. If your happy with them that's a that matters.

It’s not that Swarovski is all that works, it’s that high quality glass works. They happen to jive with lots of eyes and retain their value well among the alpha optics manufacturers. Plenty of ways to skin the cat, Swaro is one of the good ways for most folks.

In addition to whats already benn said they have the best customer service I've ever dealt with. My first experience was when my lab who's now 14 plus ate the rubber off my 10 x 42 SLC'S when she was a pup. I sent them in for repair expecting to be charged and they sent them back completley repaired for free. They even threw in a dog bone and said "try this instead". I also had a pair of 15's I bought used come apart. They repaired them for free, no questions asked. Great company and product.

Last edited:
It’s one of the few top tier pieces of gear I have.
I would lay down the money for them tomorrow if I didn’t have them already. Mine are 10x42 slc about 2009 vintage.
They have been worth every penny. I’ve had one instance where the focus knob got backed all the way off. They fixed it for free, cleaned them and had them back to me in less than 3 weeks.

I started with cheap binos, then moved up to Leupold BX-3’s. Those failed and Leupold sent me BX-4’s as replacements. I used those for a while and were happy with them until I looked through alpha glass. I ended up buying a set of Leica Geovid-R for long range hunts and a used pair of SLC 8x42 for my everyday woods hunts. Couldn’t be happier with both of them. Great glass and low light performance. One of the biggest differences I see with quality glass is the increased FOV and it makes a big difference. I will say though, to my eyes, I can’t tell much difference between Swaro, Leica and Zeiss binos, they are all 3 really good. Some will throw Kowa in that group but I’ve never seen a pair in person.

Only problem for me is that once you dive in all the other glass is garbage. We call it the divorski if you are married.
Timmy, definitely married. Now that is funny, I don't care who you are! Divorski.....love it.

Best thing to do is go into a retailer that carries both and try them out. I was on the fence with purchasing either a Vortex or Swaro spotter. The Sportsman Warehouse I was at had a small picture set up to look at. For most instances there wasn’t much difference. Then I turned them up all the way and WOW, I could see detail with the Swaro’s that I couldn’t with the Vortex. It’s all about what you can afford and what you will be happy with. Lots of guys out there that love their Vortex, and that’s what counts.

Best thing to do is go into a retailer that carries both and try them out. I was on the fence with purchasing either a Vortex or Swaro spotter. The Sportsman Warehouse I was at had a small picture set up to look at. For most instances there wasn’t much difference. Then I turned them up all the way and WOW, I could see detail with the Swaro’s that I couldn’t with the Vortex. It’s all about what you can afford and what you will be happy with. Lots of guys out there that love their Vortex, and that’s what counts.
Adding to this, don't look at optics and compare them inside. Make them take the optics outside and look through them in real light instead of light produced by light bulbs.

And compare them after sunset. Look outside in the low light.

When it comes to warranty, I have always preferred a manufacturer who repairs their product in lieu of just sending you a new pair. I think it says a lot about the craftsmanship.

In the 90's I bought a pair of open box dispersion glass Minox from Cameraland.com....the sight pic uptick between them and the 200 dollar Wind Rivers I was accustomed to was remarkable. The uptick between the Minox and SLC's were just about as drastic IMO, mainly the Swaro clarity to edge. Traded the SLC for some EL hd's eventually. I'd like to look thru some NL Pure.

Customer service when the shit hits the fan is another consideration.

I had my 10x42 SLC's for about 2 years when one side of the lens fogged on a mule deer hunt in Montana. I had one bar of service and got in touch with customer service back east. The customer service rep was one awesome lady. She got the serial number off my bino's and then asked where she could ship (next day air) a replacement pair to finish up my hunt. I didn't have an address and she asked what town I was near, looked up a hotel address on-line and sent me a loaner pair via fed-ex that arrived by 10 AM the next day. The loaner was a set of 10x42 EL's. I sent mine in and when they were repaired I sent the loaners back. I was without binoculars for about 9 hours total of hunting time.

That was worth the price I paid for them.

Another advantage to a place like Sportsman Warehouse is their 30 day return policy. When I bought my Swarovski ATS spotting scope they set it up outside in the parking lot. I was still on the fence (mostly over the price). The sales person told me to take it out in the field, if I was still undecided I could return it within 30 days. I bought it, immediately went on a 5 day trip in the Alaska Range with it and then decided I wouldn't be returning it.

I had used mid range vortex all my life to i broke down and bought a pair of slc 10x42 that I found on ebay for a steal of a price. I now wish I had broke down and bought swaros sooner. I would love to have a swaro spotting scope now. But I may just settle for the razor uhd instead. I've spent a few days looking thru the razor uhd and really like them when it comes to spotters never had a chance to look the swaro spotters but I think it goes without being said you wouldn't be disappointed

The 12x NL Pures look really nice.

I know guys that have 10 el and 15 SLC that have bought the 12s and say they don’t see themselves using the 10 and 15 enough to justify keeping them.
Small enough to handhold and a wider FOV than 10x el.

As to the original question, yes I think high end (doesn’t have to be swaro) glass is worth it if you use it a lot and can afford it. If you are trying to decide between the binos or a tag or a trip, keep your vortex and go with the hunt.

If you’re going to use the swaros a lot and it doesn’t strain your account or your marriage, buy them.

Both times I’ve bought swaro, I bought used and was glad I did, but if you’re considering NLs there probably isn’t any used because they just came out.

1) personally I’d go SLC if you can still find one (plenty of options if you’re ok with used) or NL. I wouldn’t go middle of the road since EL are still quite expensive. I bought the SLC and am happy with them. I do wonder about the NL though. If I didn’t have the 10x42 SLC I’d be looking seriously at the 12x42 NL because the little extra zoom would come in handy for me plus the FOV is great on the NL. Those two are in different price categories, so if NL doesn’t fit yours, SLC is still an awesome option. Let my experience be a warning that buying one can become an addiction...
2) I wouldn’t get the combined unit, but this is personal preference. I’d rather spend my money getting the best possible glass in the binoculars then have a separate rangefinder.
3) I never had high quality binoculars before. I had some OK Leupolds. I would get dizzy looking through them. I don’t have that issue with my SLC. For spotter, I had a fairly expensive Vortex (for the time), and I didn’t get a clear picture through it. My new swaro ATX blows it away.
4) haven’t had to use the warranty, but I think it says something that they’d rather fix them than send you a new pair

Overall, I think Swarovski is worth it if it’s within your budget. If it’s not within your budget, it’s not worth getting stressed over money just to get it.

Like another user said, the real testament to this is when my wife said it was worth the money when I had my spotter set up for digiscoping so she, my kids, and I could all watch some ducks and eagles at the same time.

Another reason why I find Swarovski worth it for me is because with that much money invested, I feel more obligated to take it out and use it. As a result, I spend more time outside enjoying nature rather than sitting inside wasting my life away. Very fun just watching the birds with high quality optics.

My current setup is SLC 10x42 and ATX 95. Would love to get the NL 12x42, but that’ll be hard for me to justify for a while.

If I could change one thing, I wish my spotter had a fine focus knob.

Back