For those of you that own Swaro....worth it and why?

What is your opinion on the SLC 15x56?? It seems that the majority of you have commented on the SLC's being what you would try and find. Do you like the larger, or stay smaller. As I have said, I have used the 12x50 in previous years, and the size has worked.

What is your opinion on the SLC 15x56?? It seems that the majority of you have commented on the SLC's being what you would try and find. Do you like the larger, or stay smaller. As I have said, I have used the 12x50 in previous years, and the size has worked.
15’s are great on a tripod. They are too big to hand hold and hold steady. They aren’t an ideal everyday binocular unless you are glassing long distances and don’t want to pack a spotter. If your idea is to use 15’s instead of 10’s then I think it would be a tough deal.

I’m gonna go with the NL’s in 12x or 15x. I already have the BTX 95.

Thinking thinking about getting into archery this year, so I’m not sure if I should do 12 and use the BTX for rifle.

For archery is 12 too much? Any suggestions? 🤷🏻‍♂️

I am overloaded on Swarovski optics. I have a couple dozen Z5 rifle scopes and for binoculars I have the latest EL rangefinding binoculars with Swarovision lenses and iPhone technology to interface with my phone and OnX so I could get a reading from the binoculars to the phone to mark where you ranged and get there with the gps on the iPhone.

I have no idea how that works, I may never figure it out, but it is built in and available if I get technical enough. The glass is superb and rangefinding laser is faster and farther than the older model.

I also have the Swarovision EL 8X32 binoculars and I use them over 80% of the time. They too are exceptional and nearly compact in size. Every thing about them is superb and I would buy another pair immediately if I lost them.

I would recommend the 8X32 EL very strongly, you won’t be disappointed.

I’ve been using Swaro Bino’s And Spotter for about 10 years before that I wasted a lot of money on inferior optics.
It’s definitely worth looking through different brands to compare BUT the thing to remember if/when your spending hours behind the glass that’s when the Swaro’s really pay for themselves. On a recent hunt with my brother after about 2 hours of glassing ( with cheaper pair ) he started complaining about a headache from the eye strain and I told him that’s why I spend so much money on glass.

Last edited:
Worth every penny. Buy with confidence as if it isn’t love at first sight, you can re-sell them for at least what you paid with decent timing. No one else holds a candle to their re-sale value.

I used lots of different brands of mid-price-range binos over the years. When I retired, I sold my patrol rifle, and invested the money in 10X42 SLC. I don't miss the AR and love the binos ! Certainly the best glass I have ever used.

I bought my EL 8x42’s 15 years ago. Out of all the money spent over my years as a recovered gear junkie those ELs and my Leica RF are the two things I have never regret pony’in up for.
I plan to use both another 5 years minimum and thats pretty cheap per year for top quality. Im scared to look through a newer model set of ELs as I worry I will want to buy them.
When I bought the ELs I had been using Steiners. No bills went unpaid as I saved up for years for a few new Hunting firearms. I decided to keep using my old ruger tanger 3006 and just upgraded the scope instead of buying a new rifle and keep shooting my old 1187 shotgun. I bought the ELs instead of new firearms. 15 years later it proved to be a good move. I saved up and bought new firearms as the years ticked by.
When I go hunting most of those rifles I bought stay at home but my ELs go with me on every hunt.

Just went down the Swaro vs Leica vs Zeiss bino comparison video rabbit hole. Uh Oh...

I've been using Alpen binos for years with little to complain about. 10x42 & 10x50's. Good mid quality glass. I even have a Alpen spotter for long distance I like.
A few years back I switched from Leupold to Zeiss Conquest on the rifle. The difference is amazing.
Just upgraded rangefinder to Leica from Vortex, night & day difference.............so,what if I can find a deal on Zeiss Conquest binos? Victory?
I know how good Leica binos are.Same with Swaros. I've used some birdwatchers had at the park I worked at. I found elk @1st light with my Alpens before 2 guys with Swaros one morning on open ground.

Found new Conquests for $900. Used Victories for$1200,used Leica's for $1200+++,used Swaros for $1800+++....yikes.
10x42's. Is Swaro glass worth $1000 more? $2000?

I use a 15 year old pair of SLC 10x50s. Love them. My spotter is an older Leica 77. Love them.

I did look through some new Swaro NL Pure 12x. Amazing!

For years I was abused by cheap optics. Decades ago I finally broke down and spent $600 on Swarovski 8x20 pocket binos, it was all I could afford and I still have them and use them. Eventually I bought Swarovski 8x56 and a doubler. Then I traded work for Leica duovid and sold them. Recently I traded work for Zeiss 20x60 s but the Swarovski 8x56 is still my favorite.

Good glass is always worth the money. But if you don't have good eyes, like close to 20-20 corrected then I really would hesitate to spend that much if it is a huge hit to your bank account.

I bought 10x42's about 10 years ago, I think EL's but would have to look. Best money I've spent. The were an upgrade from Leupold Mohave's.
Just my preference but I would not get the rangefinding binos.

Last edited:
Been using SLC 10s for years and the NLs I ordered just shipped today. We will see how they compare but I can honestly say I have never regretted optics purchases. Optics (especially on the higher end) hold their value extremely well.

To the OP - I spent several years with Vortex and I asked these very questions...

What made me change - I had friends with swaro optics, and while I was debating whether or not something was a bush, they could tell me if it was a 5x5 or 6x6 bull at very long ranges. So that little extra quality does make a difference in that scenario. Regarding light-gathering, I will be honest I have compared a lot of bino's I struggle to tell any difference between alpha glass and other mid-range glass at dusk (just my eyes). but to that point, most alpha glass is truly better than mid grade bino's... but this is just like boots. Everyone is different, every model slightly different. So please don't take all these ideas as gospel. go find what works for you. Just google SLC vs EL's. you will find 100's of conflicting opinions on what is better.

For my eye's... I can't find a pair of binoculars more comfortable than my 10x42 EL's. I also have the newest SLC 15x56's.

And regarding the ranging bino's... you sacrifice the HD glass when you guy to the ranging bino's. (At least that used to be true, I know Swaro has made some updates. But El's have hd glass, the EL range bino's circa 2015 did not)

Good glass is always worth the money. But if you don't have good eyes, like close to 20-20 corrected then I really would hesitate to spend that much if it is a huge hit to your bank account.
Schmalts, that is a good point about eyes. The only thing that I wear is for reading glasses, meaning for up close.

Thanks to everyone for their feedback and opinions on these. Ended up going with the EL 10x42. Sportsmans was having a good sale. They also had a promotion going on, and got 10% off, so it was a good day. Now, looking to sell my Razor HD (12x50) binos. Again, appreciate you sharing your experience.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back