Open invitation to hunt Maui, Hawaii

Thanks for the invite. I was planning to make a trip to Hawaii with my girlfriend this spring, but we decided to save a little money and go to southern Utah instead. I may have to take you up on your offer some day. Is April a good time to be there for hunting or fishing? I heard that it could be rainy that time of year.

Fishing on Maui is not that great. Charterboats are expensive and the shoreline is pretty well picked over. April is a pretty good time of year. Weather tends to be nasty Dec, Jan and Feb. For goats, pigs and cattle, the time of year does not really matter. For axis deer, they are just starting to grow their new antlers. They are hard horned around June. The rut for the big bucks is July and August sometimes running into September.

I go to Maui every other year or so, so maybe I'll get ahold of you sometime. I would've hunted every day last year when I went. Family vacation of extended family that only wanted to sit by the pool. Super boring.

Theat, I've fished twice on Maui. The boat got one fish the first time but I wasn't a big fan of that trip. 2nd time, went with Start Me Up and no fish were caught but I had a great time. It all goes to who the captain and crew are. They make the difference. And I lucked out with the people that were on it. Two Aussie dudes that took me out for a beer afterwards and two separate couples that were pretty cool.

Thanks Rodney. Have any pics? I enjoyed Maui a couple years ago as well as Lanai but didn't get any hunting in. Ended up kayak fishing deep water with Captain Jon Jon and had a great time.

I am not much of a picture taker. I will work on changing that. Axis can be tough because there is usually a herd - a lot of eyes! It is a challenge. I hope some of you join me. It is a tough but really enjoyable area to hunt.

Rodney,

Sounds awesome. What the the upland bird opportunities like there?
When I was there a few years back, there were chickens everywhere! ;) :D

I didn't see any, but the dry side of the island looked like a good home for chukars...

I’ve got a vacation planned to Maui in a month.....

What are the regulations on weapons? Bow? Rifle?

Be careful, we were already thinking about going next March/April. :D A friend of ours just got back and the photos pushed us even harder.

Sorry for the delay in responding. Upland bird hunting is not very good. Usually after the first shots are fired, the pheasant fly down to the lower elevations where hunting is not allowed. Chukars are a better bet but still involve a lot of walking.

Belly-deep, Hawaii has an out of state hunting license. It used to be $95 for the year. It is available on-line and it does require that you have a hunter safety certificate. Rifles have to registered with out police department within I think 3 days of being brought into the state. They have to taken to the main police station in a gun case. If you bring your rifle, let me know ahead of time so I can make sure that you choice of ammo is available. There is a local gun shop with a pretty good selection but it is a small shop. Rifles have to have a muzzle energy in excess of 1200 ft lbs to be legal. 243 on up is what most people shoot. Archery would only require the license. Success with goats, feral cattle and pigs is pretty good with a bow. Getting an axis deer is pretty tough. If you decide on archery, I have a friend who hunts mostly with a bow. I would probably see if he can take you.

I am at a point where my joy in hunting does not coming from the harvest. It comes from the joy of the stalk, nature and being able to share with others. My only request is that as I have a pretty busy schedule, I get advance notice so I can plan accordingly.

Thanks for the open invitation Rodney! My folks are over there right now, and I'm all kinds of jealous. Looked over some axis deer last year when we were there, and swore to myself that I'd go after them next time. Might be tough to swing on a family vacation, but I'll give you a holler the next time we go and see what you think. Can you hunt with a rifle any time of year, or are there specific seasons?

The only restriction in the area I hunt is from the 1st weekend in November through President's day in January. This is bird season and shotguns with birdshot are allowed in the area on weekends. Weekdays is open for big game.

The area I hunt is managed by the club I belong to. We are trying to control the population of the ungulates in the area to reduce damage to the native forests. The area is Kahikinui and is the southeast slope of Haleakala. We hunt the area from the summit down to 4500 feet. If you look on google maps it is the Kahikinui forest reserve.

The area I hunt is managed by the club I belong to. We are trying to control the population of the ungulates in the area to reduce damage to the native forests. The area is Kahikinui and is the southeast slope of Haleakala. We hunt the area from the summit down to 4500 feet. If you look on google maps it is the Kahikinui forest reserve.

Next to Nakula NAR ? not next to Kula FR ?

I have tickets for Maui May 2 - 16 was planning on hunting Molokai but nothing is written in stone except for my flight to Maui. What are the Axis numbers like in your hunt area ?

It is next to the Kula Forest Reserve. We don't have a lot of axis. There are some nice bucks (over 30") taken out every year but not like the quantities on the ranches. Small groups usually about a half dozen animals.

Note that I am not an outfitter, there are not charges or fees. I am just offering to take people hunting.

Thanks for the offer. I've never hunted Molokai FR and was only there for 3 days about 30 years ago. My wife and I are looking forward to returning to Molokai. Probably not much change there in 30 years, I hope.

Sorry for the delay in responding. Upland bird hunting is not very good. Usually after the first shots are fired, the pheasant fly down to the lower elevations where hunting is not allowed. Chukars are a better bet but still involve a lot of walking.

Belly-deep, Hawaii has an out of state hunting license. It used to be $95 for the year. It is available on-line and it does require that you have a hunter safety certificate. Rifles have to registered with out police department within I think 3 days of being brought into the state. They have to taken to the main police station in a gun case. If you bring your rifle, let me know ahead of time so I can make sure that you choice of ammo is available. There is a local gun shop with a pretty good selection but it is a small shop. Rifles have to have a muzzle energy in excess of 1200 ft lbs to be legal. 243 on up is what most people shoot. Archery would only require the license. Success with goats, feral cattle and pigs is pretty good with a bow. Getting an axis deer is pretty tough. If you decide on archery, I have a friend who hunts mostly with a bow. I would probably see if he can take you.

I am at a point where my joy in hunting does not coming from the harvest. It comes from the joy of the stalk, nature and being able to share with others. My only request is that as I have a pretty busy schedule, I get advance notice so I can plan accordingly.

Rodney

I really appreciate the offer but on such short notice and don’t think a hunting trip is in the cards this time around. We go to Hawaii every couple years, so next time I’ll plan in advance. Thanks again.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back