Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

OOOPS

Redman

FB_IMG_1655048158676.jpg
Posted this in the fishing thread but thought I'd share it here!
My beautiful bride hooked the biggest "sucker" ever! Teaching her to how to catch Northern Pike and moment's before she bounced it off my chest. I told her "No worries it wouldn't be the first time I dug a lure out of my flesh!" Next cast I about get nocked out of the boat from a Rapla traveling at Mach 1. I look at Casey and she starts crying and saying " Oh no your bleeding!" I just start laughing and telling her and our son it is fine. Tried to remove my hat but it wouldn't come off. Get my multi-tool out but the hooks are to far embedded. We motor back to the cabin and I cut the hooks off with side cuts. Finally get the hat off but the hooks are deep. Casey and my parents both tried to get the hooks pushed through so we could cut the barbs off but they were too worried about causing me more pain....which being slow a gentle caused more pain. I took over and pushed the hooks on through cut the barbs off and pulled them out. Then we went back out fishing! Not the way I wanted to get blood on my new RMEF hat 🤣

Wow! I bet that hit with a thwaakkkk! Glad all turned out ok. I think you're going to need a bigger boat!

Yeeouch! Looks like she has the hook set portion down, anyway…😉

The ER up by where you were has a large display of various gigantic musky lures that have been removed from people and donated, you are certainly not the first to catch a treble and you won’t be the last.

Glad you could get it out ok and enjoy the rest of your vacation, looks like your family had an awesome trip.

That was a specialty of mine. Removing hooks and such. Had a whole collection of pliers, tweasers, even a small vise grip in my med kit in the Patrol boat.
The worst was a 8" Rapala across a face. That one was packed for a trip to the hospital.

That was a specialty of mine. Removing hooks and such. Had a whole collection of pliers, tweasers, even a small vise grip in my med kit in the Patrol boat.
The worst was a 8" Rapala across a face. That one was packed for a trip to the hospital.
I almost gave her the 8 inch one so she could cast further 😳

View attachment 225644
Posted this in the fishing thread but thought I'd share it here!
My beautiful bride hooked the biggest "sucker" ever! Teaching her to how to catch Northern Pike and moment's before she bounced it off my chest. I told her "No worries it wouldn't be the first time I dug a lure out of my flesh!" Next cast I about get nocked out of the boat from a Rapla traveling at Mach 1. I look at Casey and she starts crying and saying " Oh no your bleeding!" I just start laughing and telling her and our son it is fine. Tried to remove my hat but it wouldn't come off. Get my multi-tool out but the hooks are to far embedded. We motor back to the cabin and I cut the hooks off with side cuts. Finally get the hat off but the hooks are deep. Casey and my parents both tried to get the hooks pushed through so we could cut the barbs off but they were too worried about causing me more pain....which being slow a gentle caused more pain. I took over and pushed the hooks on through cut the barbs off and pulled them out. Then we went back out fishing! Not the way I wanted to get blood on my new RMEF hat 🤣
Oowwwiiieeee hahaha you’re a fisherman’s fisherman, sir

I bet pushing them through tickled 😳. I did the ol yank it out trick with braid fishing line last year and it actually wasn’t too bad.. but mine was in my thumb and not my head..😬
Trotline hook to the forearm last summer. No braid- I just yanked once before the shock wore off. Came right out.

Had a topwater plug in my palm two years ago in the fall- two prongs well past the barb in my left hand. Went to the urgent care, all they did was add lidocaine and use sutures to pull it out slow & steady.

From here on- I'm always wearing sunglasses, and I'm seriously considering barbless. Especially after trying to teach someone to cast a flicker shad in a small boat this weekend. :oops:

Always crimp those barbs.

I learned that with an articulated sculpin that the Missouri River breeze caught & deposited into my cheek. :)

Blood on a fishing hat is good juju. Nice work Mrs Redman!

But were the pike biting? I was in Canada and they were hungry! 41.5" was my biggest.
Yes I was catching them one after another. They were liking white and chartreuse bass style spinner baits with big willow leaf blades. I did catch a few on Rapalas and the daredevil spoon. Casey could not catch a one even when I was catching them left and right. She was pretty bummed that she didn't catch one.

Just wait till she decides you need to teach her fly fishing. Doesn't Orvis make a suit of armor for fishing guides?

Just wait till she decides you need to teach her fly fishing. Doesn't Orvis make a suit of armor for fishing guides?
I would have loved to have had a fly rod up there. Ran to the local bait shop and got a small clear torpedo bobber and a handful of flies. When the water was calm as glass in the early morning and evening I caught a ton of big bluegill and red ear.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back