***OFFICIAL*** 2023 SPRING BEAR THREAD

Somebody needs to go ahead and post the pic of their sow in here to average out the expectations from @Valley1320 NM bear. Then folks can start posting the bears they’ve harvested. Be a team player! I’ll try to assist where I can here in about a week.
If someone else posts a sow first, I'll put mine up from this past weekend ;)

If someone else posts a sow first, I'll put mine up from this past weekend ;)
Come on chicken!! 🤣🤣. No shame in a sow now. Hell there’s only been one damn dead bear on this whole thread.

I move to transfer all new posts over to @BAKPAKR summer bear thread. @EYJONAS! had his chance with this one but it’s just not working out.

I’ve been out the last three days with sons and a buddy. We’ve seen 15 bears glassing and have passed on sows and small bears. A couple blown stalks.

Highlight was yesterday my son was sitting on the front bumper of his truck glassing a ridge.

He felt the truck shift hard so he glanced back threw his truck window. A very large cinnamon boar was climbing into the bed of his truck. He instinctively thought small ears and big head is a good bear.

They saw each other at the same moment. They stared at each other for a few seconds and each trying to decide what to do next. Son’s rifle was in the truck empty. He was trying to decide how to defend himself, run or fight, when the bear folded his cards and bolted.

He said he’s glassing with a rifle handy going forward.

I’ve been out the last three days with sons and a buddy. We’ve seen 15 bears glassing and have passed on sows and small bears. A couple blown stalks.

Highlight was yesterday my son was sitting on the front bumper of his truck glassing a ridge.

He felt the truck shift hard so he glanced back threw his truck window. A very large cinnamon boar was climbing into the bed of his truck. He instinctively thought small ears and big head is a good bear.

They saw each other at the same moment. They stared at each other for a few seconds and each trying to decide what to do next. Son’s rifle was in the truck empty. He was trying to decide how to defend himself, run or fight, when the bear folded his cards and bolted.

He said he’s glassing with a rifle handy going forward.
Would have been the shortest pack out in history! Seems the bear are out in full swing. Can't wait to head up there.

Trip was fun but unsuccessful. First day in I passed up a small blacky. Maybe only 100 lbs?? Possibly less. By the end of that day we reached the new area I wanted to try. It was a bust. No greenery and only grizzly tracks. Next morning on our way back to where we should have stayed in the first place I spotted a bear 1.2 miles to the west. It looked cinnamon w blond ish tips and after watching it feed for a few minutes I was 99% sure it was a mature black bear. (I only had my 10x binos). The next hour or more was spent getting over there and setting up. Finally after sunset it popped out 700 yds further up the drainage. It was a mammoth of a grizzly bear. Extremely frustrated we made camp and went to bed. The next day was spent exploring new country on our way back to the truck which we finally made it at around 630. Should have listened to snowymountaineer. We did discover some new country and it was full of bear sign. Just no way to setup on it due to the timber.
We did spot 3 rams although only 2 are in the pic.
E1D295DF-DF81-4291-9754-1E41D34F3017.jpeg3D393D9A-2A70-4EE0-98CC-1D23A7A51C5F.jpegE1605101-2DBE-4F75-B5E8-53967D5F0B00.jpeg76344669-A33C-40C4-9B08-BF9450E96301.jpeg14F4944A-0164-46D9-8BC5-E3E42DB30C03.jpeg8C40D19E-FE45-449F-9A70-4FFE91473456.jpeg93B9F742-30AC-4A56-AEBD-7D57E7319D97.jpeg286FF448-071C-4449-B27E-C5919EA5FCC2.jpeg69E4204B-9A9C-42A6-A3BF-D879AEA35AC3.jpeg

Trip was fun but unsuccessful. First day in I passed up a small blacky. Maybe only 100 lbs?? Possibly less. By the end of that day we reached the new area I wanted to try. It was a bust. No greenery and only grizzly tracks. Next morning on our way back to where we should have stayed in the first place I spotted a bear 1.2 miles to the west. It looked cinnamon w blond ish tips and after watching it feed for a few minutes I was 99% sure it was a mature black bear. (I only had my 10x binos). The next hour or more was spent getting over there and setting up. Finally after sunset it popped out 700 yds further up the drainage. It was a mammoth of a grizzly bear. Extremely frustrated we made camp and went to bed. The next day was spent exploring new country on our way back to the truck which we finally made it at around 630. Should have listened to snowymountaineer. We did discover some new country and it was full of bear sign. Just no way to setup on it due to the timber.
View attachment 276401View attachment 276402View attachment 276403View attachment 276404View attachment 276405View attachment 276406View attachment 276407View attachment 276408View attachment 276409
Some beautiful looking country!

View attachment 276401View attachment 276402View attachment 276403View attachment 276404View attachment 276405View attachment 276406View attachment 276407View attachment 276408View attachment 276409

Show off!!!

You mountain boys sure have it "rough"!!! :ROFLMAO:

#Jelly

Show off!!!

You mountain boys sure have it "rough"!!! :ROFLMAO:

#Jelly
Some beautiful looking country!
Yeah the views were getting old. 😂. It’s hard to be bummed in country like that. I was frustrated when the grizz walked out instead of a blacky. But the next morning I was pumped again.

Well, I missed out on spring bear out west this year for a multitude of reasons. I'm taking my own advice next year and just going. I'll throw a date on the calendar and make it happen...

Might do late summer/early fall bear here in MN if I can either A. get a leftover tag, or B. get some permission to hunt someone's land in a no quota zone.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chamoy
Back