Yeti GOBOX Collection

Offensive, I’m offended

Our local conservation officer is a trained herpatologist. He has helped me with my snakes and if any other conservation officers around the state or the Midwest have snake issues he will help them. several years ago an officer from the Ildnr called because there was a guy who was reportedly trafficking snakes and possibly had a black mamba for sale. Our local officer was all ears and was on his way to help. They lined up an undercover buy and they had an ambulance parked down the street in case someone got bit. The ambulance asked what they were to do if someone got bit because they had no antivenin for snakes let alone a black mamba. They were instructed to just fill the bite victim with morphine until they passed.
the undercover officers went in skeptic that they were going to see a real black mamba. The guy brought a pillow case out and dumped it on the floor. Sure as hell they were now face to face with one of the deadliest snakes in the world. Being satisfied they were actually buying a black mamba they told the guy to put it back in the pillow case. The seller stuck out his fist with an oven mitt on it and the snake immediately bit it. The seller grabbed the snake by the neck and stuffed it back into the pillow case. Apparently black mambas do not have long enough fangs to penetrate through the mitt and the best way to control them was to be bitten by them.
Nope! No. No more. This thread is dead to me. Goodbye now.

Water snakes and cottonmouths are the only two snakes I truly despise. The rest are kinda live-and-let-live (unless they're venomous & too close to kids). Best way to get bit by a snake is to mess with it. Leave them alone, and you'll be alright.

Still uneasy about solo archery hunting in grizzly country, though.

This thread inspired me to dig up this one from a hunt in the Namibian Kalahari back in 2005. I took some high school grass cutting money and went on safari. This is a Cape cobra that met my 30-06. They are pretty nasty and not well-liked. He was upright with his hood up when I shot him, which was cool.

I would not say I am super tall, but I look that way next to Sokman, our tracker, who wouldn't be a top prospect in the NBA.
IMG_20210426_172449402.jpg

IMG_20200827_060118.jpg

Always check out the far side of logs before you hop over. The log was partially blocking the trail. I walked around, so I spotted this guy from the far side.

IMG_20200827_060102.jpg
Eastern AZ

Mowing today and saw a 5 foot garden snake. I never realized how fast they are. First sighting, I was wary. I realized that I had gophers move in and hoped, nay prayed, the garden snakes kill gophers.

Spent the rest of the mow, avoiding the snake. I saw him 3 or 4 times.

Hope he stays around.

Water snakes and cottonmouths are the only two snakes I truly despise. The rest are kinda live-and-let-live (unless they're venomous & too close to kids). Best way to get bit by a snake is to mess with it. Leave them alone, and you'll be alright.

Still uneasy about solo archery hunting in grizzly country, though.
There are 7-8000 venomous snake bites in North America annually. About 70% of them are 18-25 year old males who are intoxicated. They keep pestering the snake till it has no choice.

View attachment 181631

Always check out the far side of logs before you hop over. The log was partially blocking the trail. I walked around, so I spotted this guy from the far side.

View attachment 181635
Eastern AZ
Yep, I was bit... good eye on your part. Heh!

images

I did not read all six pages so this may have already been mentioned.

When we lived in Texas we would go to Sweetwater every year during the rattlesnake festival. Have eaten rattlesnake many times and liked it. Have other H/T Texas members attended ?

Besides Sweetwater, the other times I came face to face with a rattlesnake was when we were Coues Deer hunting.

I hope April or Happy Myles sees this thread and will share their stories about their encounters with the Black Mamba in Africa.

When we lived in Texas we would go to Sweetwater every year during the rattlesnake festival. Have eaten rattlesnake many times and liked it. Have other H/T Texas members attended ?

Besides Sweetwater, the other times I came face to face with a rattlesnake was when we were Coues Deer hunting.

I hope April or Happy Myles sees this thread and will share their stories about their encounters with the Black Mamba in Africa.
Just over the TX/OK, the annual Waurika Rattlesnake Fest....have sampled fried rattler. Not bad.

This year's coming up; https://www.texomashomepage.com/news/local-news/waurika-to-hold-annual-rattlesnake-festival/

I’ve never been to the Sweetwater Rattlesnake Roundup but I’ve been to the one in Freer, TX a few times. It gives me the creeps but the kids like it.

I hate this thread! 😱

I am assuming that you do not visit Manitoba or Ft Smith in the spring;)

Manitoba has 50000 to 75000 snakes in one small town every spring and you have not seen an orgy until you watch the snakes in the spring at Ft Smith. I am told it rivals the Calif. hippie movement in the 60's ;)

I also hope April posts the story about her encounter with that Africa snake. It is my understanding that they somehow stand up when they move and move pretty darn fast, besides being deadly.
Just over the TX/OK, the annual Waurika Rattlesnake Fest....have sampled fried rattler. Not bad.

This year's coming up; https://www.texomashomepage.com/news/local-news/waurika-to-hold-annual-rattlesnake-festival/
interesting, thanks.

How do you prepare it. I assume skin it and slice off the meat before it is cooked or do you skin it and cook the entire snake ? How do you cook frog legs ? Are they always fried ---rattlesnake and frog legs ? Do people still use the rattlesnake skin for things like hat bands ?

I am assuming that you do not visit Manitoba or Ft Smith in the spring;)

Manitoba has 50000 to 75000 snakes in one small town every spring and you have not seen an orgy until you watch the snakes in the spring at Ft Smith. I am told it rivals the Calif. hippie movement in the 60's ;)

My life is better without snake orgies anyway!!! 🤣 🤣

Looks like a black racer, which are pretty common here in the east. They get big, but are harmless. I see at least a couple around my house every year.
Worst experience EVER was a couple of years ago... I was cleaning out a drain pipe in my yard and was literally elbow deep in it when I felt an obstruction and some movement...I yanked my arm out and right behind it one of those buggers in the 5ft variety comes flying out. Talk about nearly having a heart attack...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back