Offensive, I’m offended

• Thread starter Deleted member 28227
  • Start date
Killed this baby copperhead on the sidewalk in front of my house when I lived in Raleigh. At the time, Wake County led the country in per capita copperhead bites. They were everywhere.

View attachment 181379
I’m down in Stanly county east of Charlotte. My lawyer’s young boy got bit down here fishing this week. He’s gonna be ok but scary for his parents.

Nothing says that “you’re NOT in Kansas anymore” when you wake up in the middle of the night to see a mamba working it’s way across a roof rafter tracking some rodent in the thatched roof overhead. Mombasa holidays were lovely with this one noted exception........well, I guess the jelly fish in the swimming areas weren’t all that fun.

Our local conservation officer is a trained herpatologist. He has helped me with my snakes and if any other conservation officers around the state or the Midwest have snake issues he will help them. several years ago an officer from the Ildnr called because there was a guy who was reportedly trafficking snakes and possibly had a black mamba for sale. Our local officer was all ears and was on his way to help. They lined up an undercover buy and they had an ambulance parked down the street in case someone got bit. The ambulance asked what they were to do if someone got bit because they had no antivenin for snakes let alone a black mamba. They were instructed to just fill the bite victim with morphine until they passed.
the undercover officers went in skeptic that they were going to see a real black mamba. The guy brought a pillow case out and dumped it on the floor. Sure as hell they were now face to face with one of the deadliest snakes in the world. Being satisfied they were actually buying a black mamba they told the guy to put it back in the pillow case. The seller stuck out his fist with an oven mitt on it and the snake immediately bit it. The seller grabbed the snake by the neck and stuffed it back into the pillow case. Apparently black mambas do not have long enough fangs to penetrate through the mitt and the best way to control them was to be bitten by them.

Eff that.

Man I hate snakes! Last year in a month timeframe I had 3 close calls with them and I hope that never happens again.

Late august me and two friends are shooting a couple rifles at their rifle range. We finish up and are standing around a Toyota Tacoma talking....im leaning on the tailgate wearing a pair of shorts and slip on shoes when I feel something brush across my leg. Assuming it’s something small I look down to see a rattlesnake across both my feet making his way past me. I jumped, screamed, and headed north at a high rate of speed...there was a fence about 30 yards behind me or id still be running. My friends promptly killed that one so I could join back in on the conversation.

A week later I was fishing the beaverhead with my wife and a couple friends. I anchor up and hop out onto some tall grass on an island and land on a baby rattler. It rattles and I jump back in the boat...dug it out with my oar and tossed it towards land to live freely.

Two weeks later I’m archery elk hunting and step on one in the dark. It goes nuts and starts rattling and striking at me...I jump around like I’m playing dodgeball and somehow don’t get murdered. A pissed off snake moving under your foot is not a fun feeling!

Here's a gopher my wife wrestled down on the side of the road in NM. As a kid we'd catch about every snake we could other than rattlers and try to keep them as pets, it's amazing how good they are at getting out of improper cages. We did quite a bit of snake work many years ago, glued radio transmitters on their tails, the rattlesnakes didn't even know they were there, but the gophers would twist their tail around like it was driving them crazy and they'd usually have it off in a day or two crawling in and out of holes. The rattlesnakes we found like to den in open talus slopes, standing on the talus tracking one down and having the whole talus field around you start buzzing was always interesting. Striped whipsnakes were the coolest we worked with though, very rare in WA, long, fast and sneaky, they can lift about half their body off the ground to stand up and look around.

Attachments

• IMG_0186.JPG
    IMG_0186.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 59
Man I hate snakes! Last year in a month timeframe I had 3 close calls with them and I hope that never happens again.

Late august me and two friends are shooting a couple rifles at their rifle range. We finish up and are standing around a Toyota Tacoma talking....im leaning on the tailgate wearing a pair of shorts and slip on shoes when I feel something brush across my leg. Assuming it’s something small I look down to see a rattlesnake across both my feet making his way past me. I jumped, screamed, and headed north at a high rate of speed...there was a fence about 30 yards behind me or id still be running. My friends promptly killed that one so I could join back in on the conversation.

A week later I was fishing the beaverhead with my wife and a couple friends. I anchor up and hop out onto some tall grass on an island and land on a baby rattler. It rattles and I jump back in the boat...dug it out with my oar and tossed it towards land to live freely.

Two weeks later I’m archery elk hunting and step on one in the dark. It goes nuts and starts rattling and striking at me...I jump around like I’m playing dodgeball and somehow don’t get murdered. A pissed off snake moving under your foot is not a fun feeling!
Hopefully you bought a lottery ticket after all of that. To step on two rattlers and kick another off your feet and not get bitten is a serious streak of good luck 🍀.

Thanks, nightmares for months to come.🥵

We were in the Caribbean once, snorkeling over a reef. I saw two sea snakes on the bottom of a sandy patch, just resting, kind of just moving a little with the waves, and pointed them out to my wife. One raised its head like cobras do. I thought I heard a jet ski, but it was my wife with her free diving fins making about the same wake back to the beach. I don't mind them, but she's terrified, and has an uncanny ability to find them.

It’s very common for people to come in to our nature center and after seeing the snakes they go a different direction. There are two instances that stick out in my mind and I’ll probably never forget.

one of them was the governor of Iowa. She came into our nature center unannounced. She had been having a getaway weekend with 5 or 6 of her friends and no one knew she was in town. They came into the center around 9 or 10 am in the middle of the week so there wasn’t anyone but her and her 5 friends and 1 security guard. They were all dressed normal, casual with hiking boots and outdoor gear. I happened to be cleaning the cage of the black rat snake whom at the time was only 5 1/2 ft long. When I clean cages of the bigger one I will just put them down on the floor because they are pretty easy to keep track of. The governor, who I didn’t recognize, walked right past the snake and didn’t even notice. She was looking through the gift shop when she noticed the snake on the floor. Her whole group locked themselves in our board room that has big open windows to the outside and the inside of the building. They said they were not coming out until the snake was put away. The state patrol officer who was her security guard had been looking at another exhibit and saw something was up so he came over to check it out and Immediately began laughing hysterically. That’s about the time I figured out who the group was. The security ended up being a guy originally from the area and was on the trip because he was an outdoorsman. After I put the snake away the ladies came out from behind the locked door and looked around the rest of the building.

I don't mind bull snakes and garter snakes. Rattle snakes, copperheads, etc...scare the hell out of me. My hearing is horrible so I'm scared of the rattle snakes since it's very likely I won't hear one warning me that I'm about to step on them. :oops:

I’m down in Stanly county east of Charlotte. My lawyer’s young boy got bit down here fishing this week. He’s gonna be ok but scary for his parents.
Knowing a little bit about snake bites, make sure he gets proper care. Most doctors do not treat venomous snake bites regularly and they follow old protocol on treating them. Drs are often apprehensive in giving antivenin for a copperhead bite which is a mistake.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back