Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Offensive, I’m offended

I am assuming that you do not visit Manitoba or Ft Smith in the spring;)

Manitoba has 50000 to 75000 snakes in one small town every spring and you have not seen an orgy until you watch the snakes in the spring at Ft Smith. I am told it rivals the Calif. hippie movement in the 60's ;)

I also hope April posts the story about her encounter with that Africa snake. It is my understanding that they somehow stand up when they move and move pretty darn fast, besides being deadly.

interesting, thanks.

How do you prepare it. I assume skin it and slice off the meat before it is cooked or do you skin it and cook the entire snake ? How do you cook frog legs ? Are they always fried ---rattlesnake and frog legs ? Do people still use the rattlesnake skin for things like hat bands ?
Snakeskins are still used for hatbands and wrapping your bow limbs💥

A fun thread. I remember when I moved to California, from Upstate NY everyone said, watch out for rattlesnakes. After 5 years in California, I never saw a rattlesnake there while I was either hunting or fishing but always saw plenty in the woods of Upstate NY. Go figure.

Ticks, I hate ticks. I can deal with the snakes with avoidance. Ticks creep me out. I will move camp miles to get away from ticks.
Aw man just pulled one off the back of my 4 year olds ear last night! Took a chunk of meat with it! I HATE ticks! God dang I can feel them crawling on me right now. I’d kiss a snake right on the lips before I’d deal with another tick.

Looks like a black racer, which are pretty common here in the east. They get big, but are harmless. I see at least a couple around my house every year.
Worst experience EVER was a couple of years ago... I was cleaning out a drain pipe in my yard and was literally elbow deep in it when I felt an obstruction and some movement...I yanked my arm out and right behind it one of those buggers in the 5ft variety comes flying out. Talk about nearly having a heart attack...
The racers are harmless.......but like water snakes they gots a real bad attitude.

I found this old photo cruising for snake pics to share with @wllm1313

I don't, unfortunately, have a picture of the largest cottonmouth I've seen, which was just shy of six foot and probably 10 inches or so in diameter. Real dinosaur of a snake.

But I did find this photo, of a day probably a decade ago, and some real hijinks I got into with my granddad.

We were driving on a sand dirt road one afternoon, spotted this rattlesnake.

"Say son, let's catch 'at snake yonder."

As a rule, I don't kill snakes anymore. Venomous or not, I will only kill if I know I'm going to use it and as such haven't killed one in years. (In fact would never kill a nonvenomous snake.) But this rattler was destined to be a belt.

We were trying to kill it humanely but without damaging the skin. My dear grandfather who is cut from the rawest of North Georgia Scots-Irish stock and fears nothing but running out of beer, thwacked the snake on the head with a piece of pipe. The snake went limp and we put him in a box.

We put the box between us with the lid closed on the seat of our truck. It was only fifteen or so minutes later that he asked me

"Say son, do you hear something?"

We had a very alive snake in a box between us going down the road... good times. He was just rattling away in there...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210509-093441_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210509-093441_Chrome.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 22
I quit killing snakes some time ago. I do not fear them. I respect their area. I pay attention when hunting pronghorn on opening week as there are many prairie rattlers around. My dog gets snake shot boosters each year. I hunt quail in the SW and on any warm winter day rattlers can be sunning to keep warm, therefore I/we, my dog and myself, pay attention to our surroundings. We have lots of rattlers here in MT. We also have lots of bears. They get the same treatment as snakes.
Quite frankly I harbor no fear nor animosity toward snakes. They are in our environment for a reason. Give them wide birth and be sure to aware of your surroundings. MTG

Back