NRA On The Hot Seat - Exposed or Attacked?

That seemed to be the case ... until in Montana a USFS employee doing general maintenance at a campground was bludgeoned with a shovel by a self-proclaimed anti-guvmnt wingnut, who made mention of his NRA influence.

If its the case I'm thinking of, it was actually a hodad that the FS employee was beaten with at a work center that the vagrant had taken up residency in.

I think I am like a lot of you. Fresh out of college in mid 70's, I was all for the NRA and remained a member for years. But the constant and constant need for money, did turn me off. I did not always support their political agendas, some I did.

One of my most prized items I own is the silver bullet from Charles Heston's promotion in the 80's. Hung from my pickup mirror for years.

Have not been a member for years now. I do support the Whittington rifle range in Raton, NM. They support guns.

The exposure of the bad influences will probably be a good thing.

I think I am like a lot of you. Fresh out of college in mid 70's, I was all for the NRA and remained a member for years. But the constant and constant need for money, did turn me off. I did not always support their political agendas, some I did.

One of my most prized items I own is the silver bullet from Charles Heston's promotion in the 80's. Hung from my pickup mirror for years.

Have not been a member for years now. I do support the Whittington rifle range in Raton, NM. They support guns.

The exposure of the bad influences will probably be a good thing.

Is that the nickel plated one on a chain? I have one but for the life of me I couldn't remember where it came from. Thanks for the refresher.

There are a couple treads going in NRA strong hold like bowsite CF, all the usual suspects are silent. If BHA was injected into somehow they would be grinding axes on places like Bowsite and Rokslide. NRA gets a pass though, the Sacred cow
I found it funny how loud the the crickets are on bowsite right now about this.

Damn. I thought it was silver. The sentiment is still the same and what it signified!

Lot of stuff on the internet. North is resigning based on retirement compromise.

I found it funny how loud the the crickets are on bowsite right now about this.
Yes considering that if anyone ever voiced a shread of criticism for the NRA they were lambasted..
Now no one says a peep and the followers are just as rabib.

Goes to show you that Profiteers in the NRA have tempture on their base. Self introspection be dammed...its not happening.

There is a nice range right near my house. I’ve been tempted to joint it, my biggest hang up has been you have to be a N.R.A. member. I gave up on them 20 years ago as it was a never ending request for donations. seems Like all they were doing was spending on mass mailings.

Hopefully this will change the range rules and that same money can just go into the range verses Ackerman’s account.

When I was a member I received survey after survey after survey about my opinion on a number of nra topics. Of course the survey ALWAYS ended with boxes to check on how much $$$ I was going to donate with my survey.

I’ve read thru the articles and comments here twice. Not really sure where the story is. In my mind this is business as usual. What I see described here is not shocking. This is what is going on everyday in this country. This culture exits everywhere, it lives in privately owned companies, non profits, and even tax funded programs/dealings on the local, state, and federal level. The more money that’s involved the more of it you will find. Until someone else comes along that is as/more effective than the NRA I will still be a member.

Yep, partisan dog whistle profiteering is a rung bell.

I’ve read thru the articles and comments here twice. Not really sure where the story is. In my mind this is business as usual. What I see described here is not shocking. This is what is going on everyday in this country. This culture exits everywhere, it lives in privately owned companies, non profits, and even tax funded programs/dealings on the local, state, and federal level. The more money that’s involved the more of it you will find. Until someone else comes along that is as/more effective than the NRA I will still be a member.

When I was a member I received survey after survey after survey about my opinion on a number of nra topics. Of course the survey ALWAYS ended with boxes to check on how much $$$ I was going to donate with my survey.

Seemed like a terrible waste of money to keep surveying the same people who would no doubt answer mostly the way they wanted.

Seemed like a terrible waste of money to keep surveying the same people who would no doubt answer mostly the way they wanted.

Donor surveys are a well-known tactic.

Make people feel like their opinion is valued, and they’re more likely to give money to you.

Then, from understanding the answers in a survey of those who did give money to you, you can build a persona of the type of person who will give money to you. This will help you craft your message so they can optimize it to generate donations. Additionally by identifying which surveys themselves generate the most donors, you can identify the subjects that motivate your members.

They get money. They get information. The members are made to feel special, which circles back to the money.

Donor surveys are a well-known tactic.

Make people feel like their opinion is valued, and they’re more likely to give money to you.

Then, from understanding the answers in a survey of those who did give money to you, you can build a persona of the type of person who will give money to you. This will help you craft your message so they can optimize it to generate donations. Additionally by identifying which surveys themselves generate the most donors, you can identify the subjects that motivate your members.

They get money. They get information. The members are made to feel special, which circles back to the money.

AND our survey said. Just STFU and send the damn money.

Admittedly, sometimes it takes me a while to figure these things out and understand all of information. I don't really understand all of it, and that's probably what some organizations rely on. The common folks don't often catch these things. But, reading this tread brings some questions to mind.

At the risk of getting beat up, and showing my ignorance:

1) Many of the commenters have stated they quit supporting the NRA for various reasons. Although these reasons are legitimate and important, everyone has the right to do as they want. But, they also credit the NRA as doing a lot of good. So, if there is good that the NRA has done and is doing, why stop supporting them?
2) In cooperation with #1, Why not push for change in the things that are in question, don't understand, or don't like? There must be some avenue to question/correct these things. Other than pulling out.
3) As Big Fin eluded to, that while on the different boards with the RMEF (Thanks for your contribution), he knows of all the good that the RMEF and he can defend any opinion to the contrary. So, why didn't someone in the NRA organization ring a bell and call this stuff out? Could it have been that overlooked? I'm sure as well spoken, educated, and accomplished that Dana Loesch is, surely she would have see this stuff and called someone out.
4) If the NRA has stood up for all of us in the past and defended our rights, before this scandal, shouldn't we stand behind them and push for reform.

Sorry if I seem off base here, but I don't think this is what William Conant and George Wood Wingate envisioned for their organization.
It is extremely difficult, if not almost impossible to change an organization from the outside.
If you have been on the board of anytype of non profit you would know this to be so.
Just my experience at it, but it is an easier battle to let them go under and rebuild after the rats have left

https://www.nationalreview.com/corn...e-into-the-public-light-oliver-north-departs/

Interesting tidbits...

Further complicating the matter is that North has a contract with Ackerman McQueen to produce a television series “Oliver North’s American Heroes.” LaPierre accuses North of attempting to oust him in order to protect Ackerman McQueen.

North was not at the public NRA member’s meeting this morning; LaPierre was. Childress read a letter from North, citing recent reports in the New York Times and The New Yorkerabout financial improprieties and declaring, “if true, the NRA’s nonprofit status is threatened.”

“There’s some housekeeping that needs to be taken care of,” Childress said after reading North’s letter. But then the meeting shifted to the traditional recognition of the youngest and oldest lifetime NRA members in attendance and the usual, noncontroversial business.

Seems a bit of internal power struggle with a politically charged Attorney General fraught with extreme bias against the NRA. Sounds about par for a Democrat witch Hunt...

So Wayne continues to make his million dollar plus annual salary after he retires. What in the hell is wrong with the Board to approve such a thing. A bunch of ultra rich shady guys getting into a pissing match with each other, soap opera no doubt.

Back