Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

NRA On The Hot Seat - Exposed or Attacked?

This is way more interesting than a soap opera.

North is now under a $1 million contract with Ackerman McQueen, the consulting group that has run the NRA for decades. Now, North and Ackerman are asking for LaPierre's resignation.

LaPierre and his group of highly paid folks, are claiming that this is all about money.

Really, you can't make this stuff up. This article is a good abbreviated version of what happened today - https://www.apnews.com/a4b597b392d440c79ae2d3f12f1548d6

NY Times have this posted tonight - https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/26/business/nra-wayne-lapierre-oliver-north.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Will be interesting to see where the dust settles following the Board meeting on Monday. I was told by some trusted friends to expect big fireworks at the annual meeting, and that is part of why I started this thread a few days ago. The fireworks are bigger than I could have imagined. Maybe that is what happens when millionaires fight with each other over their million dollar income streams.

I hate to see North in this situation. In the 80's he was a stand up Marine that took the roll of escape goat. If anyone thinks a Lt. Col in the Marines had enough authority to do everything he was accused of is not thinking clearly. He took one for the team... In his roll as President, he should of known better.

Doesn't look like Nuge is running his fat mouth about this on social media, pretty quiet for that guy. Just some more trashing of the Michigan DNR and other state wildlife agencies. Honestly, would not shed a tear seeing him and Lapierre go down in flames

So there appears to be two sides at contention. Is there a good and a bad side or are they both bad? Who do sportsmen want to win? I honestly have never followed the NRA, fear mongering isn't my thing.

Thanks for posting all of this, Randy. This might be a net-positive for the NRA in the long run- sunlight is the best disinfectant.

Get it all on the table, expose the bad actors and let the dust settle. Perhaps the organization will become more appealing to ordinary hunters such as myself that are turned off by the way things have been run over the last number of years.

After completing the NRA Hunter Safety Course as a young aspiring hunter in 1957, I joined and strongly supported NRA for decades. Then when the "movement" ramped up in the political arena and seemed only driven by the deep-pocketed members, red flag questions emerged. When Wayne LaPierre threw gasoline on the "anti-guvmnt" hatred by characterizing federal employees as "jack-booted thugs" without really qualifying his statements, some of my friends who worked for the US Forest Service and other federal agencies were actually experiencing threats and risks associated with their "guvmnt" employment. My perspective changed as I viewed NRA as an anti-government organization focused on lobbying, politics, and avoiding civil discourse. The solicitation letters kept on coming in droves, even as I wrote a caustic letter to LaPierre voicing my concerns. Finally, no more solicitations and I was done with the NRA.

However, recently I viewed an interview on PBS FRONTLINE program featuring Oliver North. LTCOL North had some very positive goals and a much different healthy vision for the NRA, a vision which included more emphasis on gun safety, school security, and other constructive programs which caught my interest. So this fallout with LaPierre and the old guard seems consistent with North's aims for improving the NRA. The hope is for his success, the end of the LaPierre anti-government and heavy politically slanted era ... and an NRA attracting more young hunters and gun owners who are more interested in firearms safety, public security, and constructive policy through civil discourse. I think such change would serve to strengthen support of the Second Amendment through a much less divisive process and one which will shed a more favorable light on the NRA.

Lobbyists are a critical necessity of a Republic yet, imo, the most vulnerable component for government corruption.

It reminds me of a portion within a Thomas Jefferson quote;

...The people cannot be all, & always, well informed. the past which is wrong will be discontented in proportion to the importance of the facts they misconceive; if they remain quiet under such misconceptions it is a lethargy, the forerunner of death to the public liberty...

My membership comment has been shared with NRA. One voice of a hopeful many. May the NRA maintain it's mission and strengthen through certain restructuring. May the NRA continue the preservation of one of our two most valuable Amendments. Without our Second, the First is only a bunch of words.

$ and power is a drug few in the Democrat and Republican Party manage for the people's interest.

My hope is for NRA opportunity to restructure while it maintains lobbying power to continue thwarting those organizations who oppose our rights that, "Shall not be infringed".

The NRA lost me when they wound up on the wrong side of countless wildlife management, land management, and hunting related issues. Combine that with their views on political things wayyyy out in the weeds that have absolutely nothing to do with the 2nd, they just aren't going to be a group that I support.

Also, as Straight Arrow mentioned, their vilification of Government employees was another bridge too far.

The constant fear mongering is another big issue for me, don't respond well to that.

I also don't agree with how they rate elected officials with their BS system. The letter behind a politicians name is more important than their actual position on the 2nd. How can they give the current President not only a pass on what he's said and done on 2nd issues, let alone have him speaking at their convention? The pervious President signs legislation to allow firearms in National Parks, expanding gun rights, and the NRA doesn't say shit about that...

Their agenda is not as white as the driven snow...not even close, and the 2nd has become a side-show to their political goals, ambition, and money.

The chickens have finally came home to roost...

There are a couple treads going in NRA strong hold like bowsite CF, all the usual suspects are silent. If BHA was injected into somehow they would be grinding axes on places like Bowsite and Rokslide. NRA gets a pass though, the Sacred cow

It’s pretty hard to look at Mr North as the guy on the white horse when he is getting paid $1 million a year from a vendor of the organization he is president of the board of.

The mud is starting to fly and I don’t think anyone involved is going to be looking all that good before too long.
It wouldn't take much of an equine ride to outclass the nag LaPierre has been whipping so long.

After completing the NRA Hunter Safety Course as a young aspiring hunter in 1957, I joined and strongly supported NRA for decades. Then when the "movement" ramped up in the political arena and seemed only driven by the deep-pocketed members, red flag questions emerged. When Wayne LaPierre threw gasoline on the "anti-guvmnt" hatred by characterizing federal employees as "jack-booted thugs" without really qualifying his statements, some of my friends who worked for the US Forest Service and other federal agencies were actually experiencing threats and risks associated with their "guvmnt" employment. My perspective changed as I viewed NRA as an anti-government organization focused on lobbying, politics, and avoiding civil discourse. The solicitation letters kept on coming in droves, even as I wrote a caustic letter to LaPierre voicing my concerns. Finally, no more solicitations and I was done with the NRA.

However, recently I viewed an interview on PBS FRONTLINE program featuring Oliver North. LTCOL North had some very positive goals and a much different healthy vision for the NRA, a vision which included more emphasis on gun safety, school security, and other constructive programs which caught my interest. So this fallout with LaPierre and the old guard seems consistent with North's aims for improving the NRA. The hope is for his success, the end of the LaPierre anti-government and heavy politically slanted era ... and an NRA attracting more young hunters and gun owners who are more interested in firearms safety, public security, and constructive policy through civil discourse. I think such change would serve to strengthen support of the Second Amendment through a much less divisive process and one which will shed a more favorable light on the NRA.

I don't recall that he was characterizing ALL guvmint employees as thugs; just the ones that would kick in your door at 3 a.m. and demand your guns. The pic of the guy with an "assault" rifle and little Elian Gonzales being a prime example. I doubt anyone would have much to fear from a forest service employee.

I don't recall that he was characterizing ALL guvmint employees as thugs; just the ones that would kick in your door at 3 a.m. and demand your guns. The pic of the guy with an "assault" rifle and little Elian Gonzales being a prime example. I doubt anyone would have much to fear from a forest service employee.
That seemed to be the case ... until in Montana a USFS employee doing general maintenance at a campground was bludgeoned with a shovel by a self-proclaimed anti-guvmnt wingnut, who made mention of his NRA influence.

It did place a target on all Federal LEO's... Threats were extensive, even towards Federal employees in general (non LEO). LaPierre *could have been more selective in his comment.
At the same time, Americans were faced with an overreach of enforcement strategies.

Push and pull...

This letter and response is a decent bearing.

President Bush's response / NRA resignation to the Jack Booted Thug comment;

Dear Mr. Washington,

I was outraged when, even in the wake of the Oklahoma City tragedy, Mr. Wayne LaPierre, executive vice president of N.R.A., defended his attack on federal agents as “jack-booted thugs.” To attack Secret Service agents or A.T.F. people or any government law enforcement people as “wearing Nazi bucket helmets and black storm trooper uniforms” wanting to “attack law abiding citizens” is a vicious slander on good people.

Al Whicher, who served on my [United States Secret Service] detail when I was Vice President and President, was killed in Oklahoma City. He was no Nazi. He was a kind man, a loving parent, a man dedicated to serving his country — and serve it well he did.

In 1993, I attended the wake for A.T.F. agent Steve Willis, another dedicated officer who did his duty. I can assure you that this honorable man, killed by weird cultists, was no Nazi.

John Magaw, who used to head the U.S.S.S. and now heads A.T.F., is one of the most principled, decent men I have ever known. He would be the last to condone the kind of illegal behavior your ugly letter charges. The same is true for the F.B.I.’s able Director Louis Freeh. I appointed Mr. Freeh to the Federal Bench. His integrity and honor are beyond question.

Both John Magaw and Judge Freeh were in office when I was President. They both now serve in the current administration. They both have badges. Neither of them would ever give the government’s “go ahead to harass, intimidate, even murder law abiding citizens.” (Your words)

I am a gun owner and an avid hunter. Over the years I have agreed with most of N.R.A.’s objectives, particularly your educational and training efforts, and your fundamental stance in favor of owning guns.

However, your broadside against Federal agents deeply offends my own sense of decency and honor; and it offends my concept of service to country. It indirectly slanders a wide array of government law enforcement officials, who are out there, day and night, laying their lives on the line for all of us.

You have not repudiated Mr. LaPierre’s unwarranted attack. Therefore, I resign as a Life Member of N.R.A., said resignation to be effective upon your receipt of this letter. Please remove my name from your membership list.

Sincerely,
[signed] George Bush

And NRA's apology / clarification.

The National Rifle Association has apologized for a recent fund-raising letter that described some federal agents as “jack-booted thugs.”

“I really feel bad about the fact that the words in that letter have been interpreted to apply to all federal law-enforcement officers,” NRA Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre said.

“If anyone thought the intention was to paint all federal law-enforcement officials with the same broad brush, I’m sorry, and I apologize,” LaPierre said.

LaPierre insisted that the fund-raising letter was intended to criticize only isolated actions, primarily involving the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms.

But at least one section of the letter offered a more sweeping condemnation of federal law-enforcement efforts.

The letter referred to federal law-enforcement agents as “jack-booted government thugs” and said that “in Clinton’s administration, if you have a badge, you have the government’s go-ahead to harass, intimidate, even murder law-abiding citizens.”

Back