Caribou Gear

NRA On The Hot Seat - Exposed or Attacked?

So I read post #529. Could this thread become a roadmap for recovery?

H.R. 127 is upon us. There is a whole different thread to discuss that.

We are here to lament the decadence of the NRA. The problems of the NRA are the flowering of a weed whose seed is in the heart of every 501 we know.

Can we here find:
- some effective way to restore the NRA to it's former relevance?
- some replacement acceptable to the broad spectrum of 2A supporters?
- safeguards against our favorite conservation NGOs going the same way? ( I see signs of this already)

I can see the problem, but I am neither wise enough, nor intelligent enough, to present a solution. I think there are some on HT who have useful experience in the arena.
Also some who have fought this fight and are tired.

I've resigned from NGOs over issues like this and all I really did was remove my voice from the fight. I've learned that the kid who takes his ball and goes home ends up on his porch alone. His former buddies are still out there playing ball without him and they don't miss him.

While certainly no more of my money is going to go to the Wayne LaPierre haberdashery fund, I am still interested in having a relevant, strong 2A lobby. How do we do it?

some effective way to restore the NRA to it's former relevance?
1. LaPierre gets fired, takes his wardrobe but no cash in departure. Organization undergoes complete restructure.

2. Top priority goes to firearms safety.

3. Second priority to youth hunter safety (My NRA Hunter Safety Certificate qualifying me for a hunting license in1957 taught from NRA Hunter Safety Handbook.)

4. Lower priority to professional nonpartisan public education regarding Second Amendment, firearms history, and firearms safety.

Then and only then, would I be interested in again supporting NRA.

Equating @Hunting Wife to being a slave owner is not going to further this conversation. You need to apologize. Apparently East Coasters really do fight dirty. Was that comment supposed to be factual, constructive conversation? First it was "Obama passed a Federal Excise Tax on ammo", now anyone who disagrees with you is Uncle Tom. I can see why you think there is no such thing as honest debate. You are going to need to bring something more objective to this discussion.

I amuses me when someone says "thousands" of people showed up armed someplace to demonstrate and it was peaceful. This is brandishing and it is a form of intimidation. Intimidation is not peaceful. Thinking somehow that it gained good press for gun owners is laughable. Can anyone objectively think that an event like this would do anything other than solidify gun control advocates?

I remember when I got my first CCW in California in the 1980's. The required class was taught by an off duty CHP. He taught if you were going to show it, you better shoot it; and you better not unless it's life or death. Even so much as pulling your coat back to show the pistol butt was brandishing. This is a misdemeanor with up to a year in jail (3 years if at any place where children under the age of 18 congregate. )
You need better comprehension of what your reading and you need to read all the post before you decide to chastise me.

My point to huntingwife was her believing that a rational conversation with the liberals over gun laws would be like having a rational both sides in peaceful debate conversation with the 1800 slave owner of the south pre civil war. Slave owners didnt want to hear the abolitionist folks and the liberals don’t want to hear and don’t believe you should own a firearm .

In reference To Obama and taxes , I was wrong . I did retract my post and apologized . Obama would have went after guns with more impact but he did not have the support of Congress. If I am wrong I will admit it. I did not knowingly post incorrect information.

No one was brandishing a firearm , they were legally and peacefully protesting with there guns open carry and I’m none threatening posture. Letting the Virginia law makers it’s not the guns that are the problem but social decay ! I was not there however I do support those in peaceful lawful protest . It kinda of a right whether to laugh or not ! The fact is the press isn’t on the gun owner side and haven’t been in quite a while .

For the record , I’m no radical ! I’m 60 years old I have 4 children and 12 grandchildren . All the kids are doing well , all educated and I put a lot of my time onto my family . Been married to the same woman for 40 years and run a business. I hunt and fish , don’t carry CC never pulled a gun on anyone and don’t own self defense guns ( though I could put one to use quickly ! I don’t own AR type guns , not my thing but I will stand for anyone who wants them! Those are the guns the founding fathers were referring to in the constitution. Not our right to hunt .

Tomorrow is gun month in Maryland , my home state ! It’s call gun month because that’s when the legislature try’s to pass more gun restrictions. I love where I live , the eastern shore , Chesapeake bay , the Ocean 2 hrs away. It’s a easy place to make a living and nice people but 50 miles away is Baltimore and 90 miles away is Washington DC and politics is run by liberals! I will probably leave because if I want to legally own guns I won’t be able to live here much longer. So I know I’m new but I’m trying to explain to you all , these people are unhinged , they don’t care that your a responsible person , they don’t believe you should own guns and they will lie and cheat to take them away ! It’s just a learned truth here in the East , the west coast is no better !

Last edited:
Context.

Context is lost far to often on internet forums. Intentionally lost where tribalism takes center stage and the hyenas kackle loud enough to drown out reasonable discussion... pat their brethren on the backs,, etc... and sometimes context of a single line unintentionally fades and again bolstered by the tribal play. Nature of modern day divisive social media.

Historically print media / dial phones on the kitchen wall had too much time and hyena's tribalism was far less... and before that... one if by land, two if by sea...

Haha!

Bah... back to NRA.

I agree. One party is more supportive of law abiding American gun ownership. One is less.
One party is more supportive of federal lands remain for all. One is more supportive of transfer to state.

As Randy shared in the Outfitter bill for Montana, the $ tells the story. Lobbyists have a role in our Republic.
HCI and others pour $ into one party, NRA and others pour $ into the other party's pocket.

Life.

Context.

Context is lost far to often on internet forums. Intentionally lost where tribalism takes center stage and the hyenas kackle loud enough to drown out reasonable discussion... pat their brethren on the backs,, etc... and sometimes context of a single line unintentionally fades and again bolstered by the tribal play. Nature of modern day divisive social media.

Historically print media / dial phones on the kitchen wall had too much time and hyena's tribalism was far less... and before that... one if by land, two if by sea...

Haha!

Bah... back to NRA.

I agree. One party is more supportive of law abiding American gun ownership. One is less.
One party is more supportive of federal lands remain for all. One is more supportive of transfer to state.

As Randy shared in the Outfitter bill for Montana, the $ tells the story. Lobbyists have a role in our Republic.
HCI and others pour $ into one party, NRA and others pour $ into the other party's pocket.

Life.
Hope I'm wrong ... but your tone and the lengthy diatribe about partisanship seems to promote it.

Hope I'm wrong ... but your tone and the lengthy diatribe about partisanship seems to promote it.

We register as one party or another for the one that best represent our interests as Americans.

Example:

Screenshot_20210201-094514_Chrome.jpg

Politician stump speeches for our most recent election;
Former Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. is calling for a ban on all online sales of guns and gun parts, an unusually aggressive proposal. Senator Elizabeth Warren wants a 30 percent excise tax on guns and a 50 percent excise tax on ammunition. Thirteen candidates want to require a license to own a gun.

Regarding your query(?)

"Partisanship" or Party affiliation? One and the same or different? To each his/her own.

Exemplified within the vast majority of Hunt Talk controversial threads.

It's the shiny hook syndrome. 🤣

NRA membership has declined substantially.
Revenue from member dues dropped by 34 percent from 2018 to 2019 ,
according to an audited financial statement the NRA provided to the North Carolina secretary of state.
That’s the lowest member revenue since 2012.

The audit shows that the NRA operated in the red every year since 2016.
According to the audit, in 2019 the NRA took out a $10 million line of credit against its Fairfax, Virginia, headquarters.
In 2021, the group has $35 million due on those credit lines and other debt, the audit states.
The NRA’s total debt obligation as of December was $57 million.

"Ol Wayne rationalizes his Harry's shirts a lot like Kerry does his wife's jet.....for me but not for thee

This showed up in my Twitter feed today. Wayne at his best...

What a douche. He always impressed me as being a self serving loudmouth phony. Facts seem to confirm my suspicions. I have followed the NRA controversy as it unfolded. Really disgusting.

LaPierre is an obvious douche (at best) and I hate that I have to keep up my NRA membership to stay a member of my local range, but it is important to remember that the author of the 2nd Amendment was James Madison and the author of the current authoritative SCOTUS ruling on 2A rights is Antonin Scalia - it is painful that the broader discussion about gun rights somehow gets dragged down by one jerk - it should be about the PEOPLE, not random rich self-important jerks whether named LaPeirre or Bloomberg.

LaPierre is an obvious douche (at best) and I hate that I have to keep up my NRA membership to stay a member of my local range, but it is important to remember that the author of the 2nd Amendment was James Madison and the author of the current authoritative SCOTUS ruling on 2A rights is Antonin Scalia - it is painful that the broader discussion about gun rights somehow gets dragged down by one jerk - it should be about the PEOPLE, not random rich self-important jerks whether named LaPeirre or Bloomberg.

I agree with this but would like to add that there is more than one jerk involved in this issue in my opinion. But, he IS the jerk, that is suppose to be on our side.

Sigh..... seeing that makes me angry, disgusted and also sad. I have absolutely no interest in hunting a elephant and seeing that was hard. The fact that the elephant was actually use to humans and he couldn't even dispatch it quickly or really at all. Shows how much of a dirt bag Wayne is. Even at like 10ft he still couldn't cleaning dispatch the animal.

Here come the winds of anti's...... its going to be a long 6 months now.

In order for one jerk to rise to this level of jerk-prime, he needs a court of jerks to enable him and fund him.

In order for one jerk to rise to this level of jerk-prime, he needs a court of jerks to enable him and fund him.
Sounds like many of our elected officials. Might constitute the court of jerks as the voters... or more likely the court of jerks are those who elect the primaries.

Back