now considered useless traits

I don't like DEET base repellents and their ability to melt plastic, remove paint, etc.
I hated that growing up too - screwed up some nice fishing pole handles along the way - but good news, turns out it is not the DEET but the solvent carrying the DEET that is the problem - and 3M solved it (they encapsulated the DEET in a way that leaves it effective but more soluble in less nasty solvents) - 3M Ultrathon the only bug spray I use now.

I can still write in complete sentences ... most of the time. Maybe skip the odd definite article. But good grief, look at the way people in general write on the internet these days! It's shameful. And everything in acronyms. That's an idiot's way of communicating. I cannot understand why anyone would purposely try to beguile his audience with acronyms. Like it's some kind of badge of intelligence. "I know what I'm trying to say even if you don't. Must mean I'm smarter." Actually, quite the opposite.

A very long time ago, a mentor told me to always say a person’s name out loud when you meet them and it will anchor it in your brain. Something as simple as “Nice to meet you, Gomer.” It’s ingrained as a habit for me, so I really have no baseline to compare it to, but I do tend to remember people’s names.

Yeah I do this too and it doesn't work.

Being taught how to lose with composure and NOT NEEDING A DAMN PARTICIPATION TROPHY.... Which speaks to your delayed gratification.
amen and pass the pea's . You must have hundreds of them Pat with four active young ladies. I still remember one of them "hunting" from the front room window :love:

I wanted a 57 Vette so bad !! Loved Elvis, Drive In theaters, and The Marlboro man ( not the cigarettes, just the man )

Ken, would you please post up the video, Do You Remember These by The Statler Bros.

Guys watch it all the way through. Do any of you remember them ? ( "Judy;s Mom" ) spans the decades I am sure, but what about the other items :)

I can still write in complete sentences ... most of the time. Maybe skip the odd definite article. But good grief, look at the way people in general write on the internet these days! It's shameful. And everything in acronyms. That's an idiot's way of communicating. I cannot understand why anyone would purposely try to beguile his audience with acronyms. Like it's some kind of badge of intelligence. "I know what I'm trying to say even if you don't. Must mean I'm smarter." Actually, quite the opposite.
Yep we’re all a bunch of whiskey drinking, cigar smoking, no writing idiots. 😂😂😂 SMDH

Being taught how to lose with composure and NOT NEEDING A DAMN PARTICIPATION TROPHY.... Which speaks to your delayed gratification.
I just can't not on this one as the logic is so insane.

So the premise is a 30 year old parent gives his 5 year old a participation trophy and that's the 5 year old's fault. 🤨

The adult makes a choice here. The adult had issues with their parents, or was so weak they couldn't deal with their kids disappointment or whatever.

5 year old's aren't calling up and ordering themselves trophies.

The only person at blame is the parent. Now is it possible that parenting strategy led to some shitty people... absolutely.

I can very possibly beat all of you at ping pong. Exceedingly useless.
This of course leads to college drinking games. I was ok with pong, but ruled on flip cup! The key was to wear sunglasses while playing either game. Mad skills. Card games in college too. Kings! Never forget the little man sitting on your cup. Poor bastard fell off or was consumed by so many. Remember President? Colloquially known as the asshole card game. President wore the box of beer as a crown. I wonder what the collegiate crowd does today? Arts lost to the unstoppable progression of time…

So the premise is a 30 year old parent gives his 5 year old a participation trophy and that's the 5 year old's fault. 🤨

The adult makes a choice here. The adult had issues with their parents, or was so weak they couldn't deal with their kids disappointment or whatever.

The only person at blame is the parent. Now is it possible that parenting strategy led to some shitty people... absolutely.
I can not argue with you. If we adults give a 5 year old a trophy, then that is not the five year olds fault. But at some point/age, "losing" with grace needs to be taught IMHO. I know I was glad I was taught how to lose, with grace, as I never won a drag race, but I kept trying and had a hell of a good time doing so .

and to answer a couple of pm.s----yes, I did, in fact, have to work at getting the seams in the back of my hose, straight ( ref the statler bros song ) --but garter belts and hose did have some positive benefits to them as well ;)

Exactly what my post meant. Being a little league/softball coach back in the early 2000's when it seemed to start to today with our now 8 year old third daughter ( I have coached them all so far). The parents not being able to parent and set up what happens in life. Sometimes you win, sometimes you loose.

I in no way was eluding to the fault being in the child. NO way. Behavior is taught or learned.

When little "Timmy" or "Susie" ( no offense to anyone named that) loses and a parent/League etc.. gives a trophy because they don't want the kid to feel left out, even though they lost, then that is a problem.

No different than in the real world. You don't perform you don't get the bonus, you don't get the raise. Being the owner of three small businesses with my wife on top of being an Automotive Executive for 20+ years for various manufacturers it is amazing how society has changed when it comes to losing or accountability.

What takes the cake is when Mommy calls you or your wife to tell you that "timmy" can't report to work today because his grandma wants to make dinner and its his favorite meal and he really doesn't want to miss it.. 15 minutes before his scheduled shift....

Actual true scenario that happened. We are writing down the excuses we get and in the past three years of owning said businesses we have quite a few pages already. Yes we employ younger college aged kids but holy cow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CZ452Scout
Back