Caribou Gear

now considered useless traits

belshawelk

The post on "best advice" got me thinking about specific traits or specialties you posses that most people either laugh at or consider useless.

For me its working an Axe. I don't brag on myself much, but I can absolutely equivalently handle an axe.

My dad and I had a logging company growing up. We sold firewood. All hand cut, hand split and delivered. We cut, split and delivered well over 5,000 cord of wood. I split every one of them. I when I say a cord of wood, I mean real cord of wood, not today's math.

I cant for the life of me understand a log splitter. Our neighbors got one when I was about 15. My dad bet them a few cases of beer i could beat him and his son with it. I did and it wasn't even close. I cannot confirm nor deny that the ol man may have shared the beer with me.

Seems like now everyone has to have a damn log splitter. I am 52 and to this day will still out split anyone, anytime, anyplace, especially a damn log splitter.

Like I said useless trait. But if your ever stuck in woods trying to build a fire, I am your guy!

Making a good clean cut on a piece of lumber with a handsaw. I own a Dewalt circular saw but in leaner years I did all my home projects using a handsaw and I still do unless it’s a whole bunch of cuts that makes getting out a drop cord worth it.

Making a good clean cut on a piece of lumber with a handsaw. I own a Dewalt circular saw but in leaner years I did all my home projects using a handsaw and I still do unless it’s a whole bunch of cuts that makes getting out a drop cord worth it.
and I'm over here struggling to pound a nail in without shit going sideways...

The more I split wood the more a log splitter makes sense. Then again, I'm not 15 anymore, and half of my body is held together by titanium at this point.
I've split a lot of wood, But never without a splitter. F that but I'm thinking were talking two different types of volume.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back