Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

now considered useless traits

edited to add I’m pretty quick at doing mental math with is pretty useless anymore when everyone has a phone. Also converting inch’s to feet as long as it’s below 240”. To many times of hand gauging tanks
Me too, inches to tenths, pretty much any kind of percentage or decimal. To the point where I get robbed for it at work "rain man" 🙄

I am pretty good at a bunch of things, really good at few, expert at probably none, except maybe “figuring it out” and losing my keys. I was a state-level runner, was pretty fast on a dirtbike, people seem to take my advice seriously, I don’t hire contractors to do much, I butcher my own game, do my own plumbing and basic wiring, grow a good garden, can build a fence, can cut down a tree, can manhandle a bobcat loader, know how to break the bead on a tire, and I can identify probably 2000 plant species. Most of what I do feels a bit obsolete most days, but I save money, stay out of trouble, and avoid hurting myself most of the time. What more can I ask.

My wife says I’m good at making something good to eat out of bunch of whatever happens to be in the fridge or cupboard. I also can answer about 30% of the questions on jeopardy.

Manual Transmission
Work on / fix most anything mechanical
Penmanship (write letters)
Balance a checkbook
Start and carry a conversation with a complete stranger

Kids these days and older couldn’t even find the spare tire let alone change it. In my day you either learned how to make it work or walked. No tik tok to watch.

YouTube is a gift from heaven at times. I’ve learned so much from it; gutless method, how to wire all sorts of crap, there are dogs the size of horses 🙄 , and that if any of you need a refresher on beer shotgunning you can find that too! 🍺 🔫

I like to walk a bit but I got a truck to carry me anymore than a few miles. If I was only splitting wood for an occasional fire at the house I wouldn't need a splitter but If I was splitting wood for a long winter of burning it in the house and barn then I woukd want one.
We had a firewood business like yours when I was a kid. Dad was in his mid to late 30’s and I was a teen. We split wood with an axe. Mostly ash. Not bad. Dad always talked about putting together a splitter but never got around to it until
i was gone and he was in his 40s. Then mysteriously one appeared While I was off to college.

I like to walk a bit but I got a truck to carry me anymore than a few miles. If I was only splitting wood for an occasional fire at the house I wouldn't need a splitter but If I was splitting wood for a long winter of burning it in the house and barn then I woukd want one.
We had a firewood business like yours when I was a kid. Dad was in his mid to late 30’s and I was a teen. We split wood with an axe. Mostly ash. Not bad. Dad always talked about putting together a splitter but never got around to it until
i was gone and he was in his 40s. Then mysteriously one appeared While I was off to college.
that right there is funny. Not the splitter of course, but dad getting stuff after you are gone. I had the same issue;

-John Deere A tractor with hand flywheel. I had to start that thing every morning to feed cows. After I left... New ( used) tractor with a starter
-black and white TV no cable. After I left , Color TV and satellite dish ( one of the big early ones that looked like you were working for NASA)
- and my favorite; always growing up a 2wd pick up. I must have chained up 100 times for both snow and mud. - right after I left he bought his first 4wd

He said it was all in the name of not spoiling me. God he was cool.............

I can still stack hundreds of bales of hay so it all comes out square. Split many hundreds of cords of firewood with a splitting ax. Skin 100 yellow perch in about an hour (extra spending $$ in my younger years). Seldom miss overhead shots on ducks and geese 😬

that right there is funny. Not the splitter of course, but dad getting stuff after you are gone. I had the same issue;

-John Deere A tractor with hand flywheel. I had to start that thing every morning to feed cows. After I left... New ( used) tractor with a starter
-black and white TV no cable. After I left , Color TV and satellite dish ( one of the big early ones that looked like you were working for NASA)
- and my favorite; always growing up a 2wd pick up. I must have chained up 100 times for both snow and mud. - right after I left he bought his first 4wd

He said it was all in the name of not spoiling me. God he was cool.............
About that same time he decided our John Deeres tractors needed cabs and we really didnt need livestock to make ends meet. I had a big appetite but heck if I remember eatin 300 head of steers a year. And seemingly out of nowhere a snowblower appeared for the sidewalks. By the time I graduated from college you couldn't find a snow shovel anywhere on the farm. My Dad was mixture of butt kicker and cool. I worked hard and stayed out of trouble (outside the farm and business) and when I didn't have something to do he let me do what I wanted. i always had car or truck available. Did I mention he was a Pontiac , Cadillac and GMC truck dealer as well as a farmer…..
i might add I am thankful to have the many skills I learned growing up. I dont employ many but push come to shove I have them.

I can still stack hundreds of bales of hay so it all comes out square.
This is a skill, we put up a couple hundred a few weeks ago and it took a lot of work to look half decent! Will defend with that is not my specialty and was just helping out lol

Balancing on wobbly poles while hanging tobacco in the peaks of tobacco sheds. Oiling, castrating, detusking and nose ringing pigs in one noisy assembly line .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back