now considered useless traits

I miss it. Working 60 to 80 hours a week and then trying to do 120 acres of small bales wasnt gonna work while starting a family. Someday again maybe.
Isn't that why you have lots of kids to stack bales on wagon and put hay up in the mow while you drive the tractor? Or let the 3 year old drive if none of the bigger kids are around to pick up just 30 more bales that didn't fit on wagons. My little guy loves to make hay since he was 2. Picked up the bigger kids to help and left him at grandma's. He bawled and screamed till grandma brought him to the field 1 hr later and then he just sat on a bale trying to catch his breath for another hour. At 3 he would use his butchers meat hook/hay hook on you if you tried to take his bale in the rotation in order to get ahead of the baler.

20180829_170412.jpg20180618_195651.jpg

20170616_192555.jpg

Last edited:
Someone mentioned working on their own vehicle. I do 99.9% of my own car and truck repairs and maintenance and people look at me like I'm crazy.
I do take pride in being able to sharpen knives on an old-fashioned stone. No need for any gadgets.
Spelling has also been one of my strong points since I was a kid.

My wife and I can use our thumbnails to put the guts back in a cassette tape.
Knowing the reference numbers for books in the library.
Using a hacksaw to cut steel instead of a grinder.
Knowing how to sharpen a knife off of an old Arkansas stone, I hate replaceable blades on knives!

I am really good at taking those fill-in-the-dot tests - if it wasn't illegal I would have paid my way through college taking SAT tests for various dimwitted Kennedy kids so they could go to Harvard. And more recently, my prices would have been much cheaper than the $1 million dollars some parent paid to fake their kid's membership in a rowing team to get into Yale. But alas, not an option so I have to work a 9-5 for my paycheck.

The post on "best advice" got me thinking about specific traits or specialties you posses that most people either laugh at or consider useless.

For me its working an Axe. I don't brag on myself much, but I can absolutely equivalently handle an axe.

My dad and I had a logging company growing up. We sold firewood. All hand cut, hand split and delivered. We cut, split and delivered well over 5,000 cord of wood. I split every one of them. I when I say a cord of wood, I mean real cord of wood, not today's math.

I cant for the life of me understand a log splitter. Our neighbors got one when I was about 15. My dad bet them a few cases of beer i could beat him and his son with it. I did and it wasn't even close. I cannot confirm nor deny that the ol man may have shared the beer with me.

Seems like now everyone has to have a damn log splitter. I am 52 and to this day will still out split anyone, anytime, anyplace, especially a damn log splitter.

Like I said useless trait. But if your ever stuck in woods trying to build a fire, I am your guy!

Where I grew up the trees were coastal live oak and eucalyptus, I dare you to race the splitter :ROFLMAO:

Where I grew up the trees were coastal live oak and eucalyptus, I dare you to race the splitter :ROFLMAO:
The other shitty tree to split is wild Cherry. You have to peel the bark to split Cottonwood when wet is not much fun. Dry its a piece of cake. Give me some good ole NW Alder, Birch, Maple ( gods greatest tree), fir and all its cousins ad your on. Just to keep things fair we can throw a few pieces of juniper or pine to slow me down.

LOL

Making friends on a internet forum and actually going on a hunting trip with em without ever even meeting them before hand sometimes...... my wife thinks I'm weird AF and says I'm asking for a problem. I told her she's crazy and that you can't believe everyone on this world is a psychopath.

I guess if I sit back and look at it more..... I'd still what I'm doing. Been lots of fun some great people on here!
My wife insists on asking me to go to every damn work function thing they have all over the damn place because I can talk to anybody and make them feel good she says and she hates talking to random people so I'm being used as the icebreaker. My skills are rewarded tho with fancy hotel accommodations and fancy dinners on the water users dime.😋 Plus I usually get to do mtmuley's useless trait in the fancy hotels. 😁

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
troutflys
Back