Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

now considered useless traits

The post on "best advice" got me thinking about specific traits or specialties you posses that most people either laugh at or consider useless.

For me its working an Axe. I don't brag on myself much, but I can absolutely equivalently handle an axe.

My dad and I had a logging company growing up. We sold firewood. All hand cut, hand split and delivered. We cut, split and delivered well over 5,000 cord of wood. I split every one of them. I when I say a cord of wood, I mean real cord of wood, not today's math.

I cant for the life of me understand a log splitter. Our neighbors got one when I was about 15. My dad bet them a few cases of beer i could beat him and his son with it. I did and it wasn't even close. I cannot confirm nor deny that the ol man may have shared the beer with me.

Seems like now everyone has to have a damn log splitter. I am 52 and to this day will still out split anyone, anytime, anyplace, especially a damn log splitter.

Like I said useless trait. But if your ever stuck in woods trying to build a fire, I am your guy!
My log splitter will split the worst grain crotchety piece of oak or maple into 4 pieces with the push of a handle. My splitting mall may do it in 47 wacks

I split multiple cords of fir and larch while raising my kids then about 60 the cushion in my shoulders went away and the pain became more continuous. The hydraulic splitter buys me years. I still put up 120 acres of small squares - hand stacked in the barn. The bale wagon helps me get it to the barn. Patience and tenacity gets it stacked. I should have raised more kids. Old age is tough.

Basic car maintenance… it’s hilarious when I tell someone I change plugs, wires, sensors or even f@cki g oil… They look at me like I’m on a damn NASCAR pit crew…
Kids these days and older couldn’t even find the spare tire let alone change it. In my day you either learned how to make it work or walked. No tik tok to watch.

I’m an ace hand at identifying what kind of snake was on the road as I pass by at 70mph. Can also tell you almost every ballistics coefficient for almost every nosler bullet. Also real good at picking out natural coyote travel ways which is pretty helpful to myself I guess. All pretty useless to anyone except myself. I’m sure there’s a few more useless skills I have

edited to add I’m pretty quick at doing mental math with is pretty useless anymore when everyone has a phone. Also converting inch’s to feet as long as it’s below 240”. To many times of hand gauging tanks

While it's definitely not a useless trait amongst a bunch of hunters, the taxidermy job has upped my skill with a skinning knife by a power of ten. Can skin out a deer head, bear paws, whole foxes or bobcats for life size mounts. I think it's a somewhat rare skill even amongst experienced hunters and I'm glad to have learned it.

While it's definitely not a useless trait amongst a bunch of hunters, the taxidermy job has upped my skill with a skinning knife by a power of ten. Can skin out a deer head, bear paws, whole foxes or bobcats for life size mounts. I think it's a somewhat rare skill even amongst experienced hunters and I'm glad to have learned it.
That’s awesome! I can’t do those paws at least not yet.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back