Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

now considered useless traits

Being able to spout useless sayings, cliches and puns without thinking.

You can observe a lot by watching; grass is greener on the other side; if you're on time you're late; she's all meat and potatoes; take it eazy greazy; one brick shy of a load. You get the idea.

A useless skill I'm particularly fond of. As a project engineer many years ago on a wastewater treatment facility, one of my responsibilities was to tour others at times through the facility. The headworks stop was particularly nauseating to some and caused many to turn green around the gills, but I was immune to the smell of H2S. :D

I wish I could juggle. I have tried and tried. I even had a girl on my HS Softball team i coach teach everyone to juggle on the team. Except me. Albeit they didn't all juggle great but they could do it. I can coach a top state champion girls fast pitch team, multiple times and top National finisher, but dammit I cant juggle. I can play drums pretty darn good, I have faster than average hands but cant juggle!
It's all about the toss.
Same height, same arc, same speed every time until you get the hang of it. Also, consistent size and weight are easiest to learn with - I learned with balled up socks so I wouldn't break anything.
I learned before youtube but I bet there are many many videos on how to juggle.

Things boomers must know before they can post about necessary ‘man’ skills.

1. Plug in a printer
2. Print as .pdf
3. Open a .pdf
4. Use Uber/Lyft
5. Pay someone with Venmo/cash/etc
6. E-sign a document
7. Send an email that’s not in a colored font
8. Use google maps for directions
9. Drop a pin
10. Learn all of these without asking your millennial child to teach you

;)

Just kidding you know I love you guys.

1. Plug in a printer
2. Print as .pdf
3. Open a .pdf
4. Use Uber/Lyft
6. E-sign a document
9. Drop a pin

;)

Had to walk my parents through creating a zip file. Holy shit it was hard.

1. Plug in a printer
2. Print as .pdf
3. Open a .pdf
4. Use Uber/Lyft
6. E-sign a document
9. Drop a pin

;)

“Like with a cloth or something?”

1. Plug in a printer
2. Print as .pdf
3. Open a .pdf
4. Use Uber/Lyft
6. E-sign a document
9. Drop a pin

;)

1634613304911.jpeg
I'm a proud boomer BTW

I hold the Iron Ass award for driving the longest without taking a break on a hunting trip. Well over 400 miles and had to stop to fill up. My grandfather was a truck driver and I rode cross country with him several times. I just enjoy driving and can do it all day and night. My wife hates traveling with me.
After a couple trips out west from south Florida I bet I could give you a run for your money lol

“Like with a cloth or something?”
I am a "Z" and my generation still respond to absurdity and/or arrogance with "dont be a Hillary"

1. Plug in a printer
2. Print as .pdf
3. Open a .pdf
4. Use Uber/Lyft
6. E-sign a document
9. Drop a pin

;)

The "Boomers" in my family are not too bad but the "silent" in my family, will not even try.

April and my grandfather are part of the 'Silent" generation, but that label just dont fit them ;)

This may have already been mentioned but I enjoy making our own ice cream, especially after a big family dinner. But none of my friends (or their families ) do this. I love playing hearts, poker, bridge with family, but again some of my friends look at me strange when I tell them what we did last night or last weekend.

I am a "Z" and my generation still respond to absurdity and/or arrogance with "dont be a Hillary"

The "Boomers" in my family are not too bad but the "silent" in my family, will not even try.

April and my grandfather are part of the 'Silent" generation, but that label just dont fit them ;)

This may have already been mentioned but I enjoy making our own ice cream, especially after a big family dinner. But none of my friends (or their families ) do this. I love playing hearts, poker, bridge with family, but again some of my friends look at me strange when I tell them what we did last night or last weekend.
Playing hearts... that's a good one. I'm there with ya

CYVm_WM8do5oc_Tb_VH7_LYatu_q05_XBh_Fzr_HLp_QTXUEx_A.png

I very much enjoy spades, hearts, and bridge as well.

My skills at using topo maps and compass to triangulate and take bearings are now obsolete due to GPS. Old guys using map light tables, drawing maps, triangulating and bearings are becoming a lost art. Some of the hand drawn maps were more a work of art than a functional map.

My skills at using topo maps and compass to triangulate and take bearings are now obsolete due to GPS. Old guys using map light tables, drawing maps, triangulating and bearings are becoming a lost art. Some of the hand drawn maps were more a work of art than a functional map.
We had a home discussion recently where it dawned on my wife how important it is to be able to use real maps. Discussion started with a puzzled look, followed by "Hey, what happens if my phone dies when I'm traveling?" So, there's still hope for that skill you think useless.

I very much enjoy spades, hearts, and bridge as well.
Playing hearts... that's a good one. I'm there with ya

I have to give credit to my grandparents for my knowledge and understanding of many things and not the least of these, being taught how to turn off the electronics and spend time with family .

Besides cards, I also play dominos with them and put jig saw puzzles together with my great aunt. My grandparents until just recently maintained a small farm and I was taught several "useless traits" in todays world

How to milk a cow, how to separate the cream and make butter. Canning of vegetables, fruit, and meat ( both domestic and wild ), raising chickens, collecting eggs, etc are without a doubt harder than stopping by the grocery store but I will be forever grateful to them for giving me the opportunity to learn and do those things. AND, the conversation with them during those times was priceless.

none of the above might sometimes be the right one . ;)

After a couple trips out west from south Florida I bet I could give you a run for your money lol

I hold the Iron Ass award for driving the longest without taking a break on a hunting trip. Well over 400 miles and had to stop to fill up. My grandfather was a truck driver and I rode cross country with him several times. I just enjoy driving and can do it all day and night. My wife hates traveling with me.

. My parents took us on a road trip up the Dempster Hwy and we all loved it. We saw caribou, wolf, grizzly and moose . It is a gravel road and we had to do two ferry crossings to complete the journey. My father said we would go back and do it in the winter as the ferry crossings become ice bridges you can drive across, but we have nt done so--yet. There are zero "services" between towns, even at the ferry crossings. The funniest and strangest thing was to see a bush plane land on the highway. There are signs along the way telling the motorist to stay alert as planes land and take off on the highway. Anyway, for you road trip fellows, this might be something to consider. Beautiful scenery, terrible road, interesting wildlife, but stock up on everything, even extra spare tires as the road is rough and there is no services and no cell service.

Also, for you map fellows. None needed. 460 plus miles with no cross roads or towns

Last edited:
Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back