Caribou Gear

now considered useless traits

Roll starting a car.

Slip shifting.
Dad- “Yeah I had a car that lost the clutch, nice work getting it to the shop, but next time just call AAA for a tow, if you do it wrong you could destroy your transmission”

Me- “Yeah, honestly wasn’t that hard, and yeah I thought about it but it was a long way home and I figured it might be in the shop for a bit”

Dad- “Wait, how far were you from Eagle?”

Me- “Err, 300 miles”

Dad- “So you got off the highway at some point got gas, and then kept going”

Me- “… …”

Roll starting a car.

Slip shifting.
Dad- “Yeah I had a car that lost the clutch, nice work getting it to the shop, but next time just call AAA for a tow, if you do it wrong you could destroy your transmission”

Me- “Yeah, honestly wasn’t that hard, and yeah I thought about it but it was a long way home and I figured it might be in the shop for a bit”

Me- “Err, 300 miles”

Me- “… …”
I had a civic in college that had the clutch master cylinder go while I was on my way home from work. Not nearly 300 miles but I still felt pretty cool for being able to rev match it all the way home. Only had to run one stop sign. Got it home and did my first ever clutch master and slave cylinder replacement.

That was an utterly terrible car but I got a ton of experience working on it. Even replaced the entire head one time.

Roll starting a car.

Slip shifting.

Me- “Err, 300 miles”

Me- “… …”
Yeah, getting gas would be tricky. To take a pee you could stop on a hill. But how many gas stations aren't totally flat? How did you get going again? Would the starter turn over in compound gear? I had a '53 Chev stock truck I built from scrap and converted to 12V but left the 6V starter in it. It would start in compound no problem! Burned out a few floor switches but the starter held up okay. I have a not so fond memory of my older daughter and her cousin, ages five and six, walking that old truck around the field in low gear. Holly was driving while Chris was on the floor pushing the starter switch. No key so it wouldn't take off but I thought my dad was going to have a stroke. Those were the days.

Roll starting a car.

Slip shifting.

Me- “Err, 300 miles”

Me- “… …”
Man that snags memories of 'nearly' prevaricating with Big Skip...I wasn't afraid of punishment as much as disappointment.

Man that snags memories of 'nearly' prevaricating with Big Skip...I wasn't afraid of punishment as much as disappointment.

My first car was a $300 Saab 99 GLE. I paid for it myself after working for a summer as a laborer for dad, seal coating & crack sealing parking lots. The sunroof leaked, the brakes were shot and a gasket that connected the drive shaft to the transmission went out. Dad looked at me and said, "you bought that foriegn POS, you get to fix it. Tools are in the truck." And he went back inside.

That was punishment & disappointment wrapped into one. Learned how to fix that POS though.

Yeah, getting gas would be tricky. To take a pee you could stop on a hill. But how many gas stations aren't totally flat? How did you get going again? Would the starter turn over in compound gear? I had a '53 Chev stock truck I built from scrap and converted to 12V but left the 6V starter in it. It would start in compound no problem! Burned out a few floor switches but the starter held up okay. I have a not so fond memory of my older daughter and her cousin, ages five and six, walking that old truck around the field in low gear. Holly was driving while Chris was on the floor pushing the starter switch. No key so it wouldn't take off but I thought my dad was going to have a stroke. Those were the days.
Preface
"I don't know much about cars" -Cole Trickle, Days of Thunder

Basically I was driving down the highway, pressed the clutch down to shift from 5th to 6th and the clutch pedal never came up. The gear was still engaged, but you obviously didn't have the clutch to take it out of gear.

When I stopped for gas I exited where there was a station with a pretty straight shot off the on ramp, came in hot-ish and then just put it into neutral and coasted in the pump. I then filled up and waited till there were no cars around and put it into neutral, pump was slight above the on ramp so got out pushed it till it was moving about 5-6mph jumped in popped it in second and turned the key. 🤷‍♂️

My first car was a $300 Saab 99 GLE. I paid for it myself after working for a summer as a laborer for dad, seal coating & crack sealing parking lots. The sunroof leaked, the brakes were shot and a gasket that connected the drive shaft to the transmission went out. Dad looked at me and said, "you bought that foriegn POS, you get to fix it. Tools are in the truck." And he went back inside.

That was punishment & disappointment wrapped into one. Learned how to fix that POS though.
Was that one of their 2-cycle models that smoked like a cheap lawnmower?

Preface
"I don't know much about cars" -Cole Trickle, Days of Thunder

Basically I was driving down the highway, pressed the clutch down to shift from 5th to 6th and the clutch pedal never came up. The gear was still engaged, but you obviously didn't have the clutch to take it out of gear.

When I stopped for gas I exited where there was a station with a pretty straight shot off the on ramp, came in hot-ish and then just put it into neutral and coasted in the pump. I then filled up and waited till there were no cars around and put it into neutral, pump was slight above the on ramp so got out pushed it till it was moving about 5-6mph jumped in popped it in second and turned the key. 🤷‍♂️
Gawdam hydraulic clutches! Mechanical clutch always gives plenty of warning before going boobs up. Hydraulic ones are often just gone all of a sudden. I cannot imagine what would happen if a clutch went out like that and a modern woman was behind the wheel. Yikes! But then again it's hard to imagine any modern woman behind the wheel of a vehicle with a standard transmission.

Last edited:
An actual fire lookout that can read maps give Township, Range and section and can read and operate a Alaidade fire finder.
Retired 2 years ago from a fire lookout.

An actual fire lookout that can read maps give Township, Range and section and can read and operate a Alaidade fire finder.
Retired 2 years ago from a fire lookout.
Man, you are a relic! Pretty much everywhere they have gone to aircraft and satellite spotting. Most of the few manned lookouts left in western Montana are purely decorative.

now considered useless traits​

AXE(?) Shampoo and alluring shave gel.

Washing house work pants after the day's use.

Give a Chit.

Keys.

Catching fish... /wait, what?

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back