Non-resident outfitter license (MT) Bill is up for hearing 2/2/2021 (SB 143)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does it really matter to the real hunters if more NR hunters get to kill elk with outfitters? For the most part, the elk they are killing were off limits to the rest of us anyway. They are hunting on big ranches, closed to the public, where the elk are carefully herded away from public land. I've talked to 2 people who hunted with outfitters in the White Sulphur Springs area, both wounded elk, and both were not allowed to follow the blood trails as they might scare the herd onto public land. It isn't real hunting, they should just pay to kill a steer, and make it even easier.

They must be driving a prius, eating bird seed, and live about a mile from the MT border to only spend $1200-$2000 including a license. Combo license alone is $1052 isnt it?

You're going to actually have me believe the average NR DIY hunter is only spending $148 dollars in Montana when hunting here?

I filled my work truck yesterday...$107.

Could be all those DIY NR hunters are lying to the old-lady about the cost I reckon.
Where do u come up with 148$??? 1200-2000 counting license $652 deer combo(give or take a sheckle).
I’m not much of a mathematician but how u come up
With 148$ is boggling

Somewhere out there amongst all them trees is a forest….

Which will burn if we don’t log all the trees…
But then we’ll have pastures for cattle which should help elk because they are grazers.

Except, they eat grass which would be more profitable if cows would eat it instead so we have to kill all the elk….

I once heard a saying about life that goes something like this. “The only thing more tragic than not getting exactly what you want in life is getting it.”
The forest needs selectively logged, which will help with all the trees. Make the forest easier to see is all that needs doing.

The elk are more profitable than cattle if managed properly. Price an elk hunter.
Average calf price has been $850-875,steer/hfr average. Maybe we should kill all the cows? Wait, the drought is doing just that. There will be way more room for elk as cattle will hit the market like nobody has seen before if it doesn’t rain this fall and snow a lot this winter.

The elk are more profitable than cattle if managed properly. Price an elk hunter.
Average calf price has been $850-875,steer/hfr average. Maybe we should kill all the cows? Wait, the drought is doing just that. There will be way more room for elk as cattle will hit the market like nobody has seen before if it doesn’t rain this fall and snow a lot this winter.
Even if it does rain, cattle are going to hit the market like never before this fall. There just is not enough hay to get the cattle herd through the winter. Hay is selling for 200+ dollars a ton if you can find any. At that price it is hard of justify feeding a cow all winter with the current calf prices. A lot of ranchers are going to adjust the cow herd to fit their meager hay pile. I get calls just about everyday from people looking for hay. Most years we sell up to 500 tons, not sure if there is going to be any this year.

The only argument anyone can make is that it’s not fair to “hunter Dan” from Kalamazoo who wants to DIY. So, we wind up again at the economic argument. Economically it makes sense for every NR to have to use an outfitter. This model works for Canada, the NWT’s and Indian Reservations.
Why is it nobody complains about the aforementioned? Give a Montana Outfitter a leg up on the average NR and everyone wants to cut our heads off.
Lots of people complain about the aforementioned. I’d love to shoot a Stone Sheep in Canada but there is no DIY option and $50,000 is a lot of money. If it wasn’t for outfitter requirement laws I’d hunt Dall sheep, mountain goat, and grizzly bears in Alaska. Beside that is Canada or the Indian Reservations really the model you want to turn Montana into ?

Lots of people complain about the aforementioned. I’d love to shoot a Stone Sheep in Canada but there is no DIY option and $50,000 is a lot of money. If it wasn’t for outfitter requirement laws I’d hunt Dall sheep, mountain goat, and grizzly bears in Alaska. Beside that is Canada or the Indian Reservations really the model you want to turn Montana into ?
No, I certainly don’t want to turn Mt into a model like that. There has to be places for the public to hunt/recreate affordably.

Even if it does rain, cattle are going to hit the market like never before this fall. There just is not enough hay to get the cattle herd through the winter. Hay is selling for 200+ dollars a ton if you can find any. At that price it is hard of justify feeding a cow all winter with the current calf prices. A lot of ranchers are going to adjust the cow herd to fit their meager hay pile. I get calls just about everyday from people looking for hay. Most years we sell up to 500 tons, not sure if there is going to be any this year.
Most people do not realize or care about the dire straits the cattle industry is in. This size of the dry area is enormous compared with 1988.
Grasshoppers have annihilated pastures and blister beetles have infested hay crops making some hay unfit. What little hay there is. Things are about to get real as the long range forecast shows zero relief from the hot and dry.
Hopefully there is a lot of snow this winter, might cost in the short term, but without lots of snow there will scarcely be a cow left in Eastern Montana.

Most people do not realize or care about the dire straits the cattle industry is in. This size of the dry area is enormous compared with 1988.
Grasshoppers have annihilated pastures and blister beetles have infested hay crops making some hay unfit. What little hay there is. Things are about to get real as the long range forecast shows zero relief from the hot and dry.
Hopefully there is a lot of snow this winter, might cost in the short term, but without lots of snow there will scarcely be a cow left in Eastern Montana.
Not looking good. They had to airlift 3 firefighters out of Jordan last night that got in the way of a very small fire in the breaks. This shit storm we are in will cause some ranch sales, opening the door to eager investors that are looking to put money into real estate. My father in law told me yesterday as we were trailing some cows to a new pasture that this is way worse than the 80’s.

Most people do not realize or care about the dire straits the cattle industry is in.
Serious question, who doesn’t care? You’ve mentioned that many times. Damn right it’s hard times. Ag has more safety nets in place than any other industry. No one was dropping casseroles off at my place when both my wife and I lost our jobs last year, just more BS culture war politics about free loading on increased unemployment.

The cattle industry has been getting screwed for too long now. It’s time for Daines and Tester and all those other tool bags to stop talking about the problems and fix the damn issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back