SB 380 Increase Non resident tags in Montana

shoots-straight

[FONT=&quot]I hope this come through for everyone. We need lots of calls on this and if anyone can get to Helena on Friday at 10:00 AM the hearing will be at the House Business and Labor Committee Room.

How ridiculous is that? Somehow they were able to get this heard in a different committee that House Fish & Game. Too many level headed reps there I guess.

Get this to go viral everyone.
[/FONT]

Use this area to offer a short teaser of your email's content. Text here will show in the preview area of some email clients.
[FONT=&quot]Is this email not displaying correctly?
View it in your browser. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]SB 380, which would allocate 1500 non-resident big game combo tags for specified wilderness areas, is scheduled to be heard this Friday the 12th in the House Business and Labor Committee. Politics at it's worse, since this has already been heard in the Senate FWP Committee, but the sponsor knows that his bill will be killed if it goes to the House FWP committee, so he got it switched to House Business and Labor. This bill specifies that if the 17,000 non-resident big game licenses sell out then the 1500 would be in addition to the existing 17,000.

Here is a link to the bill: http://data.opi.mt.gov/bills/2013/billhtml/SB0380.htm

Here is the link to the online email system where you can email the whole committee: http://leg.mt.gov/css/Sessions/63rd/legwebmessage.asp

MOGA will do anything to get more non-resident licenses. The sponsor had the option of getting these tags for the wilderness outfitters as long as they came from the 17,000, but he refused that amendment!!

Amazing that they need more licenses when they have not even sold all 17,000 the last two years.

Email or call 444-4800 no later than tomorrow to register your thoughts as they are hearing the bill at 10:00 am on Friday.

Montana Sportsmen Alliance Leadership Group[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] follow on Twitter | [/FONT][FONT=&quot]friend on Facebook[/FONT][FONT=&quot] | forward to a friend [/FONT]

Last edited:
I know this comes as no suprise to you guys from Montana, but, it's all about the money!! I'm amazed everyday.... I check in here and there is yet another HB from Montana getting pushed through etc. I feel sorry for you guys and all of the crap you have to wade through in order to enjoy what most would call some of the best hunting in the states. I understand its a "money grab" in every state when it comes to wildlife,licenses, etc. . .but in Montana it just seems extreme. Good luck guys.

I know this comes as no suprise to you guys from Montana, but, it's all about the money!! I'm amazed everyday.... I check in here and there is yet another HB from Montana getting pushed through etc. I feel sorry for you guys and all of the crap you have to wade through in order to enjoy what most would call some of the best hunting in the states. I understand its a "money grab" in every state when it comes to wildlife,licenses, etc. . .but in Montana it just seems extreme. Good luck guys.

Extreme? When you live in Colorado, all the issues Montanans deal with look so minor :rolleyes:

What happens in Colorado is extreme. Right now Landowners are about to take in a minimum 20% of the tags, now tell me how Montana sportmen have big issues facing them

Extreme? When you live in Colorado, all the issues Montanans deal with look so minor :rolleyes:

What happens in Colorado is extreme. Right now Landowners are about to take in a minimum 20% of the tags, now tell me how Montana sportmen have big issues facing them

Is there organized resistance? That would be a massive blow to the resident sportsman of your state. Colorado opened the door to commercialization when they allowed landowners to go to Ranching for Wildlife. In Colorado you give so many tags away that it's easy to say, yea that won't effect me.

Wait tell the elk numbers start to fall, and all that opportunity starts to fall too.

Good lord. Didn't we already kill one like this earlier?

Yes, we killed a bill in 2011 that asked for 2,000 of these tags. MOGA has to do some serious reflection of this session if they really want to be part of the bigger discussion of wildlife management in Montana.

They talk that talk when it comes to wildlife management and desire for abundance and herd health. Yet, when all the attacks have come against wildlife in many very bad bills this sessions MOGA was a no show.

A bill like this, where they are asking for more licenses in a time when are not selling all our current licenses, is an example of some very questionable decision making by MOGA. Not sure where the sane voices are in MOGA leadership during this legislative session, but one only needs to look at the bills they have sponsored, positions they have taken, and the times they were absent when wildlife needed them, to wonder who is in chage of the ship.

I know most resident hunters want to see the public land outfitter continue. This bill is surely not needed to assist in that process, and does nothing more than take another whack at the wedge between resident hunters and outfitters. If the current licenses were selling out and herd numbers were in great shape, this might be a discussion worth having. At this time, none of those conditions exist.

I notice they want to ship it through a Labor and Industry Committee, rather than their last attempt when it went through the FWP and F&G Committees. Wouldn't want to have the debate on this bill in the context of wildlife management issue, rather a business and commerce discussion.

Another joke by MOGA; a bad joke. And I am sure I am going to get a couple emails from MOGA members about this post, but such is life. I am going to send a few emails to their leadership now, asking for their personal opinions about this kind of junk.

I hear them often talk about game management, need for older age classes, need for fewer tags. Go read the thread from January about the Montana Mule Deer Summit and read those comments about how FWP is mismanaging deer and elk. Yet, here we have the same organization requesting a bill that would amplify the problem.

Carry on .......

MOGA positions:

SB 397 (getting wolves relisted): We need to kill all the carnivores, they done et up all the elk!

SB 380: We need more licenses for our outfitters so they can go get all them wilderness elk!

jlmatthew, I didn't realize it was still that bad in CO too. I hunted CO for several years after college with my Dad and everything was actually good out there. . .we bowhunted or muzzleloaded for 10 or so years. My Dad rifle hunted with some friends for 5 years before that. . .I think what kept alot of the people from returning was they kept raising the fees, and I guess in a round about way that is what kept us from going back too. I understand why the states have to raise the fees for tags, but it makes me sick how many tags get "reserved" for special groups. We throw it around every year about going back out. . maybe next year? I do want to go back before Dad gets too old to hike/hunt hard like we do (he's 64 now). I think the voting will be very interesting in Colorado and Montana the next time around. . .hopefully for the better this time around.

All of you Montana residents need to contact the House Business and Labor committee today to let your thoughts known. They are hearing this bill tomorrow the 12th at 10 am.

Time for all sportsmen to step up and put this issue at rest. In 2012, we gave out over28,000 non-resident deer and elk tags!!! Don't believe the 17,000 number when MOGA brings it up as that does not include all the other special non-resident tag categories.

Take 3 minutes and go to this link to send an email to the committee: http://leg.mt.gov/css/Sessions/63rd/legwebmessage.asp

or you can call 406-444-4800.

Well, looks like some small light of sanity is being shined on the halls of Helena. Just got word that this bill is not being heard by the Business and Labor Committee today, rather being moved to where it belonged from the start.

The bill is being moved to House FWP Committee. It will be heard next Tuesday or Thursday. Please re-send your comments and send them to the House FWP Committee at the link shown in Post #1.

Why the Leadership tried to send this to an adjunct committee is a further sign of the desparation of some. They knew the bill was a bad bill and thought they could hide it somewhere else.

Thanks to those who pointed out the contradiction of this bill being in Business and Labor and demanding it go to FWP. Now, time to get it killed in the House FWP Committee.

"MOGA never shows on any bill without their hand out". I notice they have showed on a couple little bills which were going to pass anyway in the last few days. A poor showing in response to the above, very accurate quote. They still have not shown on any significant game management bill except to oppose.
They'll spend the next two years writing bad legislation with their SFW friends, talk some idiot dark money R into carrying their torch, and proceed to their standard "ends justify the means" lobbying. Accuracy has never been Mac's long suit. Just think of all the trips for all the volunteers in response to their bad legislation. They cost all of us way more than they spend on lobbying.

One other legislative fact of note. MOGA and SFW never ask for any input until they have the bills written. Always self serving. Then they may come to "real Montana Sportsmen" groups and tell us how good their legislation is, and refuse suggestions, then proceed to try to ram it down our throats. How is that working for you Mac and crew? Montana sportsmen are here to stand up for what is right in a manner that is accurate and honest. It is possible to operate with integrity. Yes, folks need to watch these groups and their buddy Toby Bridges too.

I assume the number of 28000 elk and deer tags you are talking about is including over the counter doe,and cow tags.

Is there a web site that breaks down those numbers. Just interested in how many are big game combos and elk a only and deer a only. Thanks

There's no link that I know of, you have to contact the department for the information.

NONRESIDENT NR COLLEGE STUDENT BIG GAME COMBO 393 $70
B-10 NONRESIDENT GENERAL - BIG GAME COMBO 34 $939
B-10 NONRESIDENT GENERAL - BIG GAME COMBO 10,440 $939

NONRESIDENT FAMILY SPONSOR - BIG GAME COMBO 41 $939

NONRESIDENT GENERAL - BIG GAME COMBO 1,732 $939

NONRESIDENT FAMILY SPONSOR - BIG GAME COMBO 5 $939

NONRESIDENT YOUTH BIG GAME COMBO 388 $470

NONRESIDENT GENERAL - ELK COMBO 430 $789

NONRESIDENT NR NATIVE GENERAL ELK 1,001 $80
B-10 NONRESIDENT GENERAL - ELK COMBO 1 $789
B-10 NONRESIDENT GENERAL - ELK COMBO 2,052 $789

B-12 NONRESIDENT ELK B LICENSE 120 $273

NONRESIDENT ELK B LICENSE 140 $273
B-12 NONRESIDENT ELK B LICENSE 308 $273
B-12 NONRESIDENT ELK B LICENSE 590 $273

B-11 NONRESIDENT LANDOWNER SPONSOR - DEER COMBO 7 $556

NONRESIDENT LANDOWNER SPONSOR - DEER COMBO 1,463 $556

NONRESIDENT GENERAL - DEER COMBO 1,482 $556
B-11 NONRESIDENT GENERAL - DEER COMBO 2 $556
B-11 NONRESIDENT GENERAL - DEER COMBO 4,849 $556

NONRESIDENT FAMILY SPONSOR - DEER COMBO 41 $556

NONRESIDENT NR NATIVE GENERAL DEER 1,171 $64

NONRESIDENT GENERAL - DEER COMBO 76 $556

NONRESIDENT GENERAL DEER LICENSE 8 $125

NONRESIDENT GENERAL DEER COMBO (RETAINED HB 607) 4 $556

NONRESIDENT GENERAL DEER COMBO (RETAINED HB 607) 2,079 $556

Elk and Deer Combo licenses sold 13,033

Elk only licesnes sold 3,484

Elk B licenses sold 1,158

Deer (buck) license Sold 9,099

Deer license retained under HB 607 2,083

Total NR Licensed to Hunt 28,857

Note many of the Elk b license holder

may also hold a NR combinaiton license

I sent a note the the House F&G committee this morning asking them to vote against SB380.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back