Caribou Gear Tarp

Non-Obvious stuff

Gunner46

I've been PMing a couple of other HT members about the gear we'll be taking on our collective newbie Western hunts. Got some good insight, as well as a couple of long forgotten reminders...But.

Aside from the obvious optics, landowner permissions, etc....what would be a couple of "less than obvious, but damn glad ya brought it" items? Tweezers & magnifying glass ? Put a local HS football team's sticker on your bumper, and mud on the out-of-state license plate? :hump:

One thing I always pack when I go out there is a small bottle of nasal spray. The dry air reeks havoc on drying out my sinuses. The first time I went, I didn't take it. That is a mistake I will not make again.

Chapstick. I never use it when I'm home, but when I'm in the dry air at elevation and generally windy conditions I am very thankful for it.

Eye drops. I don't wear glasses / contacts etc. But there has been 2 times that eye drops saved me from a sleepless night. The only 2 times I ever remember needing them - and now there is always a small bottle in the pack.

How did the above five HuntTalkers read my mind?

Ear plugs for snoring hunting partners or noisy brown bears outside your tent.

Basic auto tools, extra belts, extra spare tire or two, Gorilla tape, 2-5 gallon cans of gas.

Couple extra six packs of coke/pepsi. Great icebreakers with Peruvian herders and the ranchers appreciate you not giving them beer.

Lots of reading materials. When things aren't going your way nothing helps clear my mind like a couple of Bugle issues, Nat Geo or chapters in a good book.

Good luck and welcome west.

(On a certain south pacific island chain not to be named, 3 bottles of the base's package store bottom shelf Scotch got the 3 of us a full weekend bed & board, plus an old Willy's jeep for our Axis deer hunt) And..... we left an entire butchered deer for our hostess. Still, the 5 leftover deer, split 3 ways, went along way.

John, John. John.................that goes without saying, Bro.

Good tweezers and at least one safety pin for digging out splinters and cactus thorns etc. zip ties and electrical tape in the truck can come in handy

Moleskin. One blister and you'll realize it's the best thing in your pack.
I prefer duct tape, but yes, something for foot blisters.

Another I always have in my toiletry kit, diaper rash ointment. Can be a life saver if you get baboon a$$ or galled real bad. Put in on when you go to be and presto, you wake up mucho better.

Rechargable USB charging stations for cell phones. I can charge a phone 3-4 times on one which comes in really handy when the phone is searching for iffy coverage and lower temperature ruin effective battery life.

Zip-Ties

Headlamp- I think this is really overlooked as a game changer for hunting now they are so small, powerful and long lasting. Your hands are always free and you can see during the off times of day.

Ear plugs for snoring hunting partners or noisy brown bears outside your tent
Practice wearing these before you go to camp. The sensation of earplugs bothers the heck out of me. I prefer to camp near running water for white noise or as far away from everybody as possible.

I'll echo the chapstick recommendation...bring 2.

Extra water filter or filter cleaning tool...poor quality water may also need to be "pre filtered" through a rag or extra cloth to get the sediment/live things out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back