NM Buck

Reata

1.jpg
Packed and ready to go to New Mexico for the 2nd rifle hunt in Unit 2B.
2.jpg
Heading to New Mexico at O dark 30.
3.jpg
Crossing New Mexico from Texas.
4.jpg
Made it and planning next morning’s hunt.
5.jpg
Getting away from other hunters, just glassing canyons.
Actually pretty easy to get away, we only saw a few other hunters’ entire trip and they were just driving around.
6.jpg
Spectacular scenery (and no, that’s not a buck in the left hand corner).
7.jpg
Really cool country. Started to see deer right off, small bucks and does.
Probably saw 20 the first day. Saw Elk too, a few cows, a nice 5X5 and a monster 7X7.
8.jpg
More glassing.
10.jpg
Enjoying the scenery.
9.jpg
More scenery.
11.jpg
I know it’s not much for most of you but this flatlander was huffing and puffing. 7K was highest I went.
12.jpg
More glassing.
13.jpg
Spotted a buck at 1100 yards. Repositioned to this rock and watched as he bedded down.
He’s below the three rocks to the right that looked like frogs to me, at least after I stared at them for 4 hours which is how long I sat there.
There was coyote den just below me but didn’t get any pictures of their coming and goings.
Helped pass the time watching them though. He eventually jumped up and took off running to the left.
Hit him just behind the shoulder with the 300 Win Mag and after a short run, down he went!
14.jpg
And there he is! If you look up from the middle of his antlers you’ll see the rock I was sitting on.
(An ugly rifle is not required to kill deer.)
15.jpg
Skyline.
He’s not a monster but I worked hard for him and couldn’t be happier.
I was hoping for a lot of snow in Colorado to kickoff the migration but didn't happen till the very end of the hunt.
We saw lot's of resident deer and elk so really didn't mind.

There are a lot of people to thank for this fantastic hunt, they know who they are.
This is a great site, I’ve learned a lot and really appreciate it.
After one hunt in this unit I’m no expert but would be glad to share what little knowledge I have, any questions please message me.
I’ll be out for a while hunting whitetails so might not be able to answer right away.

I felt as if I went along with you, nice picture/word meld. Congratulations

View attachment 50472
View attachment 50473
View attachment 50474
View attachment 50475
View attachment 50476
Actually pretty easy to get away, we only saw a few other hunters’ entire trip and they were just driving around.
View attachment 50477
View attachment 50478
Probably saw 20 the first day. Saw Elk too, a few cows, a nice 5X5 and a monster 7X7.
View attachment 50479
More glassing.
View attachment 50481
Enjoying the scenery.
View attachment 50480
More scenery.
View attachment 50482
I know it’s not much for most of you but this flatlander was huffing and puffing. 7K was highest I went.
View attachment 50483
More glassing.
View attachment 50484
Spotted a buck at 1100 yards. Repositioned to this rock and watched as he bedded down.
He’s below the three rocks to the right that looked like frogs to me, at least after I stared at them for 4 hours which is how long I sat there.
There was coyote den just below me but didn’t get any pictures of their coming and goings.
Helped pass the time watching them though. He eventually jumped up and took off running to the left.
Hit him just behind the shoulder with the 300 Win Mag and after a short run, down he went!
View attachment 50485
And there he is! If you look up from the middle of his antlers you’ll see the rock I was sitting on.
View attachment 50486
Skyline.
I was hoping for a lot of snow in Colorado to kickoff the migration but didn't happen till the very end of the hunt.

There are a lot of people to thank for this fantastic hunt, they know who they are.
After one hunt in this unit I’m no expert but would be glad to share what little knowledge I have, any questions please message me.
I’ll be out for a while hunting whitetails so might not be able to answer right away.
Thanks for a great write up! I put in for this unit. Fingers crossed!

Very nice. Having never even seen a Mule Deer in the wild, he sure looks like a good one to me. Congrats on a successful trip and thanks for the story and the pics. Good looking rifle btw. Details?

View attachment 50472
View attachment 50473
View attachment 50474
View attachment 50475
View attachment 50476
View attachment 50477
View attachment 50478
View attachment 50479
More glassing.
View attachment 50481
Enjoying the scenery.
View attachment 50480
More scenery.
View attachment 50482
View attachment 50483
More glassing.
View attachment 50484
View attachment 50485
View attachment 50486
Skyline.

Great buck

Back