new ram 2500

58266872822__46E93B0A-806E-46D3-83DB-34BC400F7018.JPG

Last summer I bought a used 2017 RAM 2500 with the Cummins diesel. I think I got a good deal and needed something for pulling heavier trailers at work. It’s a pulling machine. It has an 8’ box and the crew cab that requires almost a 40 acre field to turn it around, but boy is it nice on the road.

Hopefully I’ll be taking it to WY this September. We’ll find out later this week.

Last edited:
I really liked my Dodges, but after driving the same roads into the Frank Church in my Tundra, I can’t say I miss them.

I really liked my Dodges, but after driving the same roads into the Frank Church in my Tundra, I can’t say I miss them.
Funny, I was in the frank last week and thought glad i dont drive truck up here, shouldnt even call some ofthose roads.... SxS when purchased was to save wear and tear on truck atleast thats what i told wife... when i get this truck gonna have to buy a 4wheeler that fits nicely in back for those quick no trailer trips.

thinking if i don't draw any expensive tags i am buying a new truck. i LOVE my tundra that is 10 years old and has 160k miles but i am ready to upgrade. i have bad back and heated seats would be nice, my tundra doesn't even have Bluetooth... i tow a lot more now than ever planned when i purchased the tundra (does a great job but has limits even with upgrades) so going diesel makes a lot of sense. planning on Ram 2500 long bed with Cummings, whatever trim i get truck will be loaded with options. anyone have a 2019 or 2020 ram that want to give me any feedback or helpful info(options you like/dislike?). this truck will be used 90% of time on hunting and fishing adventures including x-country trips. on a side note anyone want to buy a 2009 tundra?
Just drive around with your mirrors extended 24/7 and you'll be fine! LOL....Or hold off and get another Tundra(y)

This is one of the smoothest riding trucks on the planet. Coils on all four corners, plus air suspension, and a longer than standard box at 6’4”.

It’s crazy luxurious inside. Leather and wood everywhere.2019 RAM 1500 Limited.jpeg

Well boys my ordered Ram came in earlier than expected but optioned out just way i wanted! What a ride for a 3/4 ton! Very happy with it, basically every option minus safety package, sunroof and air suspension. I will add airbags myself at later time. That 50 gallon tank is going to be great, range on dash was 853 miles when it was full from dealer, no more where is next gas station worries. Very excited and now have ton of accessories to get ordered and done in next 3 weeks before hunt trip starts.KIMG1142.JPG17335.jpeg

Well boys my ordered Ram came in earlier than expected but optioned out just way i wanted! What a ride for a 3/4 ton! Very happy with it, basically every option minus safety package, sunroof and air suspension. I will add airbags myself at later time. That 50 gallon tank is going to be great, range on dash was 853 miles when it was full from dealer, no more where is next gas station worries. Very excited and now have ton of accessories to get ordered and done in next 3 weeks before hunt trip starts.View attachment 147330View attachment 147331
Looks identical to mine except mine doesn't have the black trim/wheel package. You'll love it I'm sure15951612200148562066090342449870.jpg

I wish mine had the 50 gallon tank option. We could drive to Wyoming from NC and only fill up twice lol

Man I just recently started seriously looking....i love em but I'm not sure I can stomach that price tag....i can afford it but wowsers thats a lot of flow. Looks awesome

Congrats on your new truck.

Once a person tows with a diesel truck,,I don't think there is any going back.

I kept my 05 Chevy K3500 Duramax for a second beater truck when I bought another in 2017. Between the two of them,,I'm done buying trucks in this lifetime. The only knock I have with my new truck is the depth of the bed requires that I shim the bed so that my slide in camper clears the bed rails. Other than that,,, it is a great truck. The exhaust brake is a tremendous asset when you are coming down a mountain pass.

View attachment 143931

Last summer I bought a used 2017 RAM 2500 with the Cummins diesel. I think I got a good deal and needed something for pulling heavier trailers at work. It’s a pulling machine. I has an 8’ box and the crew cab that requires almost a 40 acre field to turn it around, but boy is it nice on the road.

Hopefully I’ll be taking it to WY this September. We’ll find out later this week.
Hey Rhino Hunter, I'm curious if you left those Pathfinder a/t tires on your truck. If you did, how are they performing? I have an almost identical truck except a short bed and am weighing my tire options, although I am leaning towards the Cooper a/t tires.

Well boys my ordered Ram came in earlier than expected but optioned out just way i wanted! What a ride for a 3/4 ton! Very happy with it, basically every option minus safety package, sunroof and air suspension. I will add airbags myself at later time. That 50 gallon tank is going to be great, range on dash was 853 miles when it was full from dealer, no more where is next gas station worries. Very excited and now have ton of accessories to get ordered and done in next 3 weeks before hunt trip starts.View attachment 147330View attachment 147331
Sharp truck

Hey Rhino Hunter, I'm curious if you left those Pathfinder a/t tires on your truck. If you did, how are they performing? I have an almost identical truck except a short bed and am weighing my tire options, although I am leaning towards the Cooper a/t tires.

Gr8bawana,
They were on it when I bought it. So I’m not sure how many miles the previous owner put on them. They seem fine. I’ve heard that they tend to get a flat spot after they’re parked for a while and I have to admit that I do notice this a little bit. I’ve got about 12,000 miles on them so far with no problems yet.

I have a 2015 2500 with the 6.4l gas engine. The truck does well for its intended purpose, tows very well. Unfortunately, just hit 125k miles & I’ll be getting a rebuilt transmission. I tow a fair amount, am a stickler for maintenance. I’ve done ball joints, thermostat was under warranty. I was hoping for more miles before the transmission went, is what it is I guess.

I have a 2015 2500 with the 6.4l gas engine. The truck does well for its intended purpose, tows very well. Unfortunately, just hit 125k miles & I’ll be getting a rebuilt transmission. I tow a fair amount, am a stickler for maintenance. I’ve done ball joints, thermostat was under warranty. I was hoping for more miles before the transmission went, is what it is I guess.

If you have a tow rig and that is its intended use 125K-175K is really the life of an auto trans in any of these diesel trucks. Some will get more, some will get less but typically if you tow heavy (I am talking 10K lbs or more) just plan on a trans rebuild between 125-175K in any of the diesel trucks.

If you have a tow rig and that is its intended use 125K-175K is really the life of an auto trans in any of these diesel trucks. Some will get more, some will get less but typically if you tow heavy (I am talking 10K lbs or more) just plan on a trans rebuild between 125-175K in any of the diesel trucks.
That’s been my experience. This is my third pickup. First two were 1/2 tons, their tranny went 115k

I must be an exception, the Allison transmission on my 05 still ticking along at around 270k miles without a rebuild. It has been serviced at the recommended intervals, in my effort to avoid a rebuild.

No doubt some tow heavier, but many of the miles on that truck include having a slide in camper in the bed and three horses in a trailer.

Nice trick. I didn’t realize a 50 gallon tank was an option. My ‘17 cummins doesn’t not have one. Would be a nice option but I don’t think my bladder can go 850 miles without emptying anyways. I don’t think you will be disappointed. I’ve made several cross country trips and it’s always a smooth ride even when pulling 15k+ Lbs trailers.

Nice trick. I didn’t realize a 50 gallon tank was an option. My ‘17 cummins doesn’t not have one. Would be a nice option but I don’t think my bladder can go 850 miles without emptying anyways. I don’t think you will be disappointed. I’ve made several cross country trips and it’s always a smooth ride even when pulling 15k+ Lbs trailers.
Thanks for kind words on truck guys... ya i know about the bladder distance i can tell you from experiance its much easier to find a pullover to pee than it is a gas station in wyoming and idaho where i frequently go. Still planning on a 40 auxtoolbox going in but may have to wait to winter now, that will make 1 tank round trip to my idaho spots and home trailering. Diesel is 1.91 at costco in MT at home its 2.48 so tanks will somewhat pay for themselves. Spent last 2 days ceramic waxing, undercoating, installing mudflaps, setting up controls, got new drop hitch...like a kid in candy store, now waiting for bunch of stuff to arrive later in week. Need to get out been neglecting my summer scouting. Less than a month till the shooting starts!

Back