Caribou Gear Tarp

New light weight sleeping bag??

I’ve been looking at the Stone Glaicer Chilkoot or a Nemo Equipment Disco 15 degree bag, both are just over the 2 lbs mark and have good reviews
The disco 15 fascinated me but the WM terralite 25 was so much lighter and made in USA. I feel like I can use my down outer layers (which I would carry anyway). to gain those extra degrees. Both bags are seemingly side sleeper friendly.

I’ve got a Marmot Helium. I bought w Wedgie to help with the shoulder room. Nice light bag, kept me warm during first rifle last fall, but I’m an active sleeper and much prefer a semi rectangular bag. A WM Ponderosa is in my future.

Both of my WM bags are semi-rectangular (Sycamore MF and Sequoia MF). The Sycamore is slightly smaller in the shoulders than I would like, but the knee room is massive. I think I'd get the Ponderosa instead if I did this again. But then again the Sycamore is more than a half pound lighter. Even though a 25 degree bag, Hermit's Hut overfilled the heck out of it. I've been very warm and comfortable at 25 degrees, which means should be comfortable down to around 15.

The MF is super water resistant. Unless you camp in bivies in the PNW you just don't need the GWS in my opinion. One look on Ebay will demonstrate that Western Mountaineering bags last a lifetime. There are 20 year old bags on there that will still hold their own in the field.

I could not disagree more with saying foreign sourced materials make the difference between made in USA vs made in China splitting hairs. WM sources materials from USA when possible, and the actual work of creating the bags is done by hard working, highly skilled Americans.

WM will always have better resale value, and I would bet $200 that you will not have buyer's remorse after spending $200 more on the WM. Just my opinion as a WM fan boy.

I'm sold. My Badger is on its way. I got the difference down to $160 and hit the button.

The disco 15 fascinated me but the WM terralite 25 was so much lighter and made in USA. I feel like I can use my down outer layers (which I would carry anyway). to gain those extra degrees. Both bags are seemingly side sleeper friendly.
Hadn’t thought of that, great way to shave weight!

Has anyone actually used a SG bag yet ?
For those who care, Stone Glacier bags are made in China and cost nearly as much as a Western Mountaineering made-in-USA bag.

STONE GLACIER HIDES THIS FACT: I'll send $5 to the first person here who finds any admission on Stone Glacier's website that their bags are made in China.

You save a whopping 6% buying a bag made in China by laborers making $2-$8/hour.

I'm not a fan of manufacturing in Asia but charging made-in-USA prices. And I don't like hiding that fact while highlighting the fact that your other products are made-in-USA.

Last edited:
For those who care, Stone Glacier bags are made in China and cost nearly as much as a Western Mountaineering made-in-USA bag.

STONE GLACIER HIDES THIS FACT: I'll send $5 to the first person here who finds any admission on Stone Glacier's website that their bags are made in China.

You save a whopping 6% buying a bag made in China by laborers making $2-$8/hour.

I despise any company that builds in Asia but charges made-in-USA prices. And I even more despise hiding that fact while highlighting the fact that your other products are made-in-USA.

Go Hunt states GS bags are made in the USA...

However, after cruising around SG website I see no indication that it’s made in the USA so I suspect Go Hunt is in the wrong. I get a good chunk off SG so I was hoping to get one of their bags.

Just got a note back from Stone Glacier customer service. Their bags are made in China. I recommended they make this clear on their website, since they are so up front about making their backpacks in the USA. No mention of their sleeping bags being foreign made anywhere to be found on their website, at least not that I could find. It should be there, and it should be obvious.

I think people deserve to make an informed decision about where the gear they buy is made. Many companies are right up front and still sell tons of product; REI comes to mind. They put "Imported" right under their feature description. And they don't use a smaller font either. In fact, it's placed on it's own line with space above and below, easy to see.

Came across a good deal on a Mountain Hardware Phantom™ 0 degree bag so I pulled the trigger.

Here a good source of information for anyone else in the market for a 0 degree bag

Last edited:
Came across a good deal on a Mountain Hardware Phantom™ 0 degree bag so I pulled the trigger.

Here a good source of information for anyone else in the market for a 0 degree bag

I’ve been looking hard at one of these as well.

I switched to a quilt last year and instantly fell in love. 0-15 might be too cold for that though, depending on your preferences. Check out Enlightened Equipment.

Great thread and great recommendations!! I’ve been beating my head on the wall going back and forth between the WM and SG. Definitely have to go made in USA for my preference though. Thanks for all the recommendations!!!

One huge difference is that the Western Mountaineering bags have continuous horizontal baffles. This allows you to move the down between the top and bottom of the bag to adjust temperature rating. Also WM are made in the USA. Stone Glacier packs are made in USA, but I don't know about their sleeping bags. Why don't I know? I challenge you to find out on their website where their bags are made. They charge made-in-USA prices, but I believe they are made overseas.
I believe the sleeping bags are made in China, same as the tents (which are just rebranded SlingFin tents.) Same as the apparel too; China, Vietnam likely...doesn't make it necessarily "worse" but domestic manufacturing especially with technical apparel is nearly nonexistent.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back