PEAX Equipment

New light weight sleeping bag??

I have a 0 degree, 800 fill down Montbell. I know it has been mentioned a couple of times but it is worth a serious look.

Even in fighting shape I have a 52" chest. The stretch layer Montbell uses is huge for my sleeping comfort.

I have spent many nights around 0 with this bag and trust it, plus the stretch keeps me comfortable. I am not sure where you are on the size, but a great option for the $ compared to a WM.

I have a 0 degree, 800 fill down Montbell. I know it has been mentioned a couple of times but it is worth a serious look.

Even in fighting shape I have a 52" chest. The stretch layer Montbell uses is huge for my sleeping comfort.

I have spent many nights around 0 with this bag and trust it, plus the stretch keeps me comfortable. I am not sure where you are on the size, but a great option for the $ compared to a WM.
As a Clydesdale sized guy the Montbell is on my radar.

Lots of helpful suggestions!! Still looking hoping to narrow it down this weekend. Any experience with Big Agnes Savaris 0 degree?? REI has a good deal on it now. 70 bucks off
Not with that bag, but I use a few items from Big Agnes and I have been very pleased with their quality.

I have a marmot helium 15, that my GF now wife bought me in 2013.

I’d say on the sleeping bag spectrum it’s one of the better middle range bags. It’s my only bag its been everywhere SEAK, Adirondacks, Maroon Bells Wilderness, Needles district... and all 4 seasons.

I’ve considered upgrading a number of different times and vacillated over synthetic v. down. IMHO there is no reason to get a synthetic bag below 15 degree rating, at that point you’re in snow so its not an issue. The insulation in down bags + their external shell is pretty water resistant these days, aside from failing in a river or sleeping exposed in a rain storm not sure how you would get one wet enough to compromise it. Go for down

As far as temp, in my mind 15 is the number, 0 is just makes the bag too heavy and bulky, and is unnecessary for most applications. I thought I wanted a 0 at one point as I got really cold on some hunts, I bought a good puffy vest + pants. I wear them in the bag and they add 20 degrees + I can leave them at home or wear them during the day depending on need. IMHO way more versatile. The only exception would be if you plan on doing lots of winter camping aka Jan/Feb. Last year I had some late season cow hunts where temps were well into the negatives and we car camped, I just brought a cheep old synthetic bag and double bagged, I slept great. 15 Degree

The best high end bag is going to be western mountaineering with feathered friends as a runner up.

I think your best value buy is the REI magma, got one for my wife, I was really impressed.
This is exactly what I do. I have a big agnes lost ranger. With only base layers it's good to around 20 degrees. Below that I throw on my puffy gear, I've been comfy down into the negative single digits. Also a good liner, which is a good idea anyway, can add 10-20 degrees to your bag.
OP, if you want one bag, around a 15 degree down bag with a liner and puffy.

Thank you for the awesome responses, I ended up with a Mountain Hardwear Bishop Pass 0 its a down bag, it really fit the bill in overall performance for the price, still have some other gear to get with the budget. It was between MH or the Big Agnes Sarvis but I didn't realize that th BA was not as insulated on the bottom of the bag. Hopefully the bag will be good, came highly recommended locally, man you can spend some bucks.

Compared the SG with a WM Antelope (that is on sale) today in Billings and I agree with your assessment. Someone better stop in and buy that Antelope before I do something stupid.
Too late. Spare MR backpack and one kidney for sale, see classifieds. Anyone who is near Billings or Helena should check out the base camp for some seriously good deals right now. I plan on being warm and comfortable this fall.

Those Stone Glacier bags are up there with Western Mountaineering IMO. I'd probably own one or both of their bags if they didn't only make them in a long.

Putting where they are made aside. You are correct. The Stone Glaciers are comparable with the very best of WMs line.

Putting where they are made aside. You are correct. The Stone Glaciers are comparable with the very best of WMs line.

They may or may not be right up there as far as materials go, but design wise it's no contest WM. Continuous horizontal baffles allow you to move down between the top and the bottom of the bag, adjusting the temperature. I've never tried the magnetic collar on the SG, but I know people like that. But the baffle system is a huge win for WM.

Also, the microfiber shell on Western Mountain has twice the water resistance (hydrostatic head = 2000mm, SG = 1000mm).

Last edited:
They may or may not be right up there as far as materials go, but design wise it's no contest WM. Continuous horizontal baffles allow you to move down between the top and the bottom of the bag, adjusting the temperature. I've never tried the magnetic collar on the SG, but I know people like that. But the baffle system is a huge win for WM.

Also, the microfiber shell on Western Mountain has twice the water resistance (hydrostatic head = 2000mm, SG = 1000mm).

You're the first I've seen with a firm stance on adjusting the down within the baffle to control temp. I commonly see displacing down, or clumping as many call it, as something you don't want. To do it intentionally is baffling (pun intended)

You're the first I've seen with a firm stance on adjusting the down within the baffle to control temp. I commonly see displacing down, or clumping as many call it, as something you don't want. To do it intentionally is baffling (pun intended)

It's a feature, not a bug. :)
Western Mountaineering has been in business 49 years. They know what they are doing. Nobody makes better bags.

I have two WM bags, and this is a huge plus for me. Since the baffles are horizontal, the down doesn't move on its own. And it's as simple as wiping your palm across the baffle to move the down.

Clumping is something else altogether. Clumping happens when your down gets wet. Very unlikely with the microfiber material they use.

Last edited:
It's a feature, not a bug. :)
Western Mountaineering has been in business 49 years. They know what they are doing. Nobody makes better bags.

I have two WM bags, and this is a huge plus for me. Since the baffles are horizontal, the down doesn't move on its own. And it's as simple as wiping your palm across the baffle to move the down.

Clumping is something else altogether. Clumping happens when your down gets wet. Very unlikely with the microfiber material they use.

Thanks for the information.

BTW Where did you find the hydrostatic head specs on Pertex Y Fuse? As a windproof material, I'd think it rates far better than 1000mm and closer GWS.

BTW Where did you find the hydrostatic head specs on Pertex Y Fuse? As a windproof material, I'd think it rates far better than 1000mm and closer GWS.

Not on the Pertex website. I just used Pertex as listed on the SG website. If it is Y Fuse, I don't know the spec.

In real world drip testing of the Western Mountaineering bag was absolutely dry inside (tested on that other backcountry forum that shall not be named).

If my specs are off, hopefully someone can correct them.

The WM is plenty was resistant for my needs and has two knockout features that I wanted, made in USA and adjustable temperature rating. If I need more water resistance I would purchase a WM Gore Windstopper version of the same bags.

I know not everyone has the funds to choose USA made or cares whether the bag is made in USA or not. Nothing wrong with that. SG is still a USA company. (y)

Looking to get a backpacking bag to bivy out, starting early September chasing elk and going through end of the Montana season possibly looking for 0-15 degree range that would cover the colder portions of the season. Probably wont bivy in the later season but will Basecamp, I only want to buy 1 bag. I would rather be hot in Sept than cold in November. So what are you guys using? Pros and cons....
My solution would be to sleep in your puffy and puffy pants with a thick hat late season and get by with a less than $700 bag. I have a couple of REI branded down bags, one 30 one 0, when you get them on sale or at their garage sale, I feel you really can't find a better bang for your buck. I also have a small fleece liner for late season that I add. It is pretty damn hard to get a good sleep when you're hot.

I’ve got a Marmot Helium. I bought w Wedgie to help with the shoulder room. Nice light bag, kept me warm during first rifle last fall, but I’m an active sleeper and much prefer a semi rectangular bag. A WM Ponderosa is in my future.

Not on the Pertex website. I just used Pertex as listed on the SG website. If it is Y Fuse, I don't know the spec.

In real world drip testing of the Western Mountaineering bag was absolutely dry inside (tested on that other backcountry forum that shall not be named).

If my specs are off, hopefully someone can correct them.

The WM is plenty was resistant for my needs and has two knockout features that I wanted, made in USA and adjustable temperature rating. If I need more water resistance I would purchase a WM Gore Windstopper version of the same bags.

I know not everyone has the funds to choose USA made or cares whether the bag is made in USA or not. Nothing wrong with that. SG is still a USA company. (y)

Understood. I'm in the market for a new bag and the WM Badger and SG Chilkoot are my top contenders. I really like the Badger, but I like that I can get a Chilkoot for $200 less than the MF Badger and $300 less than the GWS version that the Chilkoot compares most closely with based on available information.

The made in China thing is a little off putting, but I feel we're splitting hairs when we say made in USA with imported materials. Although, the US flag is nice to see sewn on when so many of our available products don't have it.

Conundrum.

Last edited:
Understood. I'm in the market for a new bag and the WM Badger and SG Chilkoot are my top contenders. I really like the Badger, but I like that I can get a Chilkoot for $200 less than the MF Badger and $300 less than the GWS version that the Chilkoot compares most closely with based on available information.

The made in China thing is a little off putting, but I feel were splitting hairs when we say made in USA with imported materials. Although, the US flag is nice to see sewn on when so many of our available products don't have it.

Conundrum.
I was struggling with a sleeping bag decision for a long time, and I do think the SG bags are very nice. I’ve suffered through a lot of miserably cold nights with a cheaper 15 degree 650 down bag that never kept me warm past 30. The Western Mountaineering MF bags get great reviews on water resistance, and when I compared a WM Antelope MF with a SG Chilkoot 15 and 0 I preferred the WM by a long stretch. The loft in this bag is just incredible, it almost springs into place when you pull it out of the stuff sack. I was also able to get the Antelope MF for less than the SG, which made it an easy choice.

The made in China thing is a little off putting, but I feel were splitting hairs when we say made in USA with imported materials. Although, the US flag is nice to see sewn on when so many of our available products don't have it.

Conundrum.

The MF is super water resistant. Unless you camp in bivies in the PNW you just don't need the GWS in my opinion. One look on Ebay will demonstrate that Western Mountaineering bags last a lifetime. There are 20 year old bags on there that will still hold their own in the field.

I could not disagree more with saying foreign sourced materials make the difference between made in USA vs made in China splitting hairs. WM sources materials from USA when possible, and the actual work of creating the bags is done by hard working, highly skilled Americans.

WM will always have better resale value, and I would bet $200 that you will not have buyer's remorse after spending $200 more on the WM. Just my opinion as a WM fan boy.

Back