Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

New light weight sleeping bag??

I also have the Marmot Helium 15 bag. I have only used it on one camping trip late May in the Boundary Waters. Temps got down to about 30 degrees and I was very comfortable in just light long underwear. Very packable and lightweight. I'm 6'2 240lbs with broad shoulders. There is not a lot of shoulder room, but enough. I got it on sale at 25% off, which seemed like a steal. Looking forward to testing it in colder temps.

Those Stone Glacier bags are up there with Western Mountaineering IMO. I'd probably own one or both of their bags if they didn't only make them in a long.

One huge difference is that the Western Mountaineering bags have continuous horizontal baffles. This allows you to move the down between the top and bottom of the bag to adjust temperature rating. Also WM are made in the USA. Stone Glacier packs are made in USA, but I don't know about their sleeping bags. Why don't I know? I challenge you to find out on their website where their bags are made. They charge made-in-USA prices, but I believe they are made overseas.

Last edited:
If you have broad shoulders or wide hips I find the unique construction of the Montbell Super Spiral Down Hugger 650/800 to be by far the most comfortable "mummy" bags on the market.

X2 for Montbell. I bought mine in 09 and it’s still the most comfortable bag. That being said, I’ve switched to quilts when I switched to a hammock.

Based on the ability of the WM to distribute the down and 100% made in USA, the gap is an impassable chasm...for me.

Fair enough. The USA made is a big thing. I'm not sure where the SG bags are made, but I suspect you're right that they're made overseas as I know their clothing is imported. The only reason I'd really consider the SG over the WM is as a dedicated bag for hunts where moisture may be a problem. I've seen first hand how water repellent those bags are and it's pretty impressive. I'm sure that repellency wears off faster than one would like so maybe it's a moot point.

There i
Fair enough. The USA made is a big thing. I'm not sure where the SG bags are made, but I suspect you're right that they're made overseas as I know their clothing is imported. The only reason I'd really consider the SG over the WM is as a dedicated bag for hunts where moisture may be a problem. I've seen first hand how water repellent those bags are and it's pretty impressive. I'm sure that repellency wears off faster than one would like so maybe it's a moot point.

There is a great evaluation on Ro&&slide where the evaluator actually dripped water onto the WM fabric (MICROFIBER). Zero water made it into the down. Water resistance of the WM microfiber bags is something like 4000 mm pressure. And Western Mountaineering evaluated and decided not to use treated down for their own reasons, and I trust them.

I use a Marmot Never Summer 0 degree year round. Like others have said, I also use a dry bag to hold it and my liner. The liner is key for keeping the sleeping bag clean.

Don't get me wrong, the WM bags are the better bags, but the gap is relatively small.

WM has been making bags for 30 years, SG just released their first bag.

Let see how SG bags hold up for 5 or 6 seasons.

Use a Kelty Cosmic right now and it's good but bulky. Next purchase will be Western Mountaineering.

Use a Kelty Cosmic right now and it's good but bulky. Next purchase will be Western Mountaineering.

I predict you will love it. I still run my old Kelty 30 rectangular bag down to 45 degrees or so. Western Mountaineering Sycamore (20 degree overstuffed) and Sequoia (5 degree) round out my quiver of bags. Mountain Laurel Designs Apex 38 quilt (synthetic) is added for colder nights. Not a huge fan of synthetic, but the 38 takes up very little space.

Last edited:
I predict you will love it. I still run my old Kelty 30 rectangular bag down to 45 degrees or so. Western Mountaineering Sycamore (20 degree overstuffed) and Sequoia (5 degree) round out my quiver of bags. Mountain Laurel Designs Apex 38 is added for colder nights.

That’s a good collection. I think I will eventually go with the badger but they have so many options it’s tough to choose from.

That’s a good collection. I think I will eventually go with the badger but they have so many options it’s tough to choose from.

My choices all include rectangular or semi-rectangular bags. Happy to carry the slight increase in weight. Sycamore is even slightly smaller in the footbox and chest than I like. On the flip side it's wonderfully cavernous around the knees. :)

A while back, found Mountian Hardware had "Phantom 15 degree" 2 lbs-2 oz at half off. Being a first time buyer they offered 20% discount. I bought two. My all around bag. Moose season I use 0 degree.

I got an rei igneo 17 during one of their sales at a good price. It’s a down bag, weighs less than 2lbs and packs down really small. I have no complaints.
I usually pack this one sheep hunting early season, but its very narrow and once it gets below about 30 she's a bit chilly along the zipper. I have an older Marmot Pinnacle (predecessor to the Helium) that usually goes, but its a little heavier, but way more comfortable, warmer, better hood, better everything. I have about 4 other sleeping bags, MT Hardware, REI, etc and just can't justify spending another $3-500 on another light bag at the moment. haha. If I did it would be the Marmot Helium/Lithium or a WM.

I also run a Kelty Cosmic bag. It’s been great for me over the last few years. I didn’t want to drop several hundred dollars on a bag and the Kelty had good reviews so I got it. I used the extra money I saved and got a higher quality sleeping pad that was insulated and compact. That seemed to make more difference than anything.

I have a 10 degree bag from Nemo, and I don't hate it. But if I'm honest with myself, I should have spent the extra $ like my buddy and bought feathered friends. His bag is lighter, and warmer. I also would go wth a mummy bag and not a spoon bag. The extra space seems nice until it gets really cold, then it's just dead space that you can't quite keep warm. And without a doubt, don't skimp on your sleeping pad's R rating.

Lots of helpful suggestions!! Still looking hoping to narrow it down this weekend. Any experience with Big Agnes Savaris 0 degree?? REI has a good deal on it now. 70 bucks off

Last edited:
Back