MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

New light weight sleeping bag??

Huntmt28

Looking to get a backpacking bag to bivy out, starting early September chasing elk and going through end of the Montana season possibly looking for 0-15 degree range that would cover the colder portions of the season. Probably wont bivy in the later season but will Basecamp, I only want to buy 1 bag. I would rather be hot in Sept than cold in November. So what are you guys using? Pros and cons....

I use klymit. Bought it for Their .mil discount, and it’s really packable. Use it a ton and on my deployments and hunts. Love it. Ksb20 is the one I use, IIRC.

ETA pros and cons...

Cons:

sometimes too warm for my environment
Narrow
Initial cost
Sleep too well and have too much energy The next day
compression bag blows, had to buy a different one from outdoor research after I broke and tore the one it came with.

pros:

lightweight
Comfortable
Decent weather ratings
Very packable

I have a marmot helium 15, that my GF now wife bought me in 2013.

I’d say on the sleeping bag spectrum it’s one of the better middle range bags. It’s my only bag its been everywhere SEAK, Adirondacks, Maroon Bells Wilderness, Needles district... and all 4 seasons.

I’ve considered upgrading a number of different times and vacillated over synthetic v. down. IMHO there is no reason to get a synthetic bag below 15 degree rating, at that point you’re in snow so its not an issue. The insulation in down bags + their external shell is pretty water resistant these days, aside from failing in a river or sleeping exposed in a rain storm not sure how you would get one wet enough to compromise it. Go for down

As far as temp, in my mind 15 is the number, 0 is just makes the bag too heavy and bulky, and is unnecessary for most applications. I thought I wanted a 0 at one point as I got really cold on some hunts, I bought a good puffy vest + pants. I wear them in the bag and they add 20 degrees + I can leave them at home or wear them during the day depending on need. IMHO way more versatile. The only exception would be if you plan on doing lots of winter camping aka Jan/Feb. Last year I had some late season cow hunts where temps were well into the negatives and we car camped, I just brought a cheep old synthetic bag and double bagged, I slept great. 15 Degree

The best high end bag is going to be western mountaineering with feathered friends as a runner up.

I think your best value buy is the REI magma, got one for my wife, I was really impressed.

I got an rei igneo 17 during one of their sales at a good price. It’s a down bag, weighs less than 2lbs and packs down really small. I have no complaints.

Thanks for the input, there is so many choices, makes you start second guessing after you think you have your mind made up, the gal at REI was very helpful, she suggested the Mountain Hardwear Bishop pass and the Kelty Cosmic, both are down.

Thanks Slm864, never saw that 1 in the listing did a search for it and found it on their site, I'll check that 1 out as well.

If you have broad shoulders or wide hips I find the unique construction of the Montbell Super Spiral Down Hugger 650/800 to be by far the most comfortable "mummy" bags on the market.

Western Mountaineering is highest quality and among the lightest if compared to equal sized competitors. 900 down is ultralight. Microfiber line provides a great compromise of water resistance vs. weight. I have two (Sequoia and Sycamore MF). Both are extra roomy.

Downside is cost, but resale is the highest in the business.

I went with a Hammock Gear quilt last year and used it with no regrets. I did the 20 degree, but I sleep hot. Worked like a charm and cut almost 2 pounds from my last anchor of a sleeping bag :)

I would look into the Western Mountaineering Badger. Its a 15 degree bag that will get you down to 10 probably. Lightweight but expensive. Buy once cry once. The way I look at it is if you get a good nights rest you will be able to hunt better the next day. Plus how many people do you think go out with cheap bags and would pay for a $600 right then and there to stay warm.

I went with a Hammock Gear quilt last year and used it with no regrets. I did the 20 degree, but I sleep hot. Worked like a charm and cut almost 2 pounds from my last anchor of a sleeping bag :)

As an example, Western Mountaineering Sycamore (25 degree bag, 20 if you get the free overstuff from HermitsHut) weighs a total of 2 pounds. (y):)

I looked at one of the new Stone Glacier bags in person the other day and I was pretty impressed.

Have you considered if you want down or synthetic insulation? Sleeping pad will also be a big factor. A 15 degree bag with a r-4 pad will perform differently on frozen ground that that same 15 degree bag with a r-3 pad. Keep that heat in the bag instead of sinking into the ground.

Yeah my quilt is 26 oz.

Quilts are nice and light if you like them. I like the full hood in my WM bags and the ability to migrate the down all on the top side or all on the bottom in just a few seconds to regulate temperature. Can unzip it completely and run it flat as a quilt if conditions warrant. Totally worth the extra 6 ounces...to me. I also sometimes run a quilt, but only in warmer conditions.

Leaning towards down at this point, I will get a good pad. Going to check out Western Mountaineering. Thanks for all the feedback so far!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back