PEAX Equipment

New ID NR fee schedule

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
The replies in this thread are a PERFECT synopsis of the NR reactions regarding the predator tag increases.

We aren't killing enough bears, cats or wolves as it is in some of the back country units. We should be giving those tags away.

Those animals are tougher to hunt and there just isn't the interest like there is with deer, elk, etc. I know lots of people that shoot one bear, one cat, and one wolf and call it good. Many wouldn't hunt them or shoot another even if you gave the tags away.

If you actually do something with cats, bear, or wolves...its not cheap to just have them tanned. Crazy expensive if you rug or life size. That keeps me from killing bears every year, I really like hunting and glassing bears, just sucks knowing you're going to spend a couple hundred on tanning every time you pull the trigger.

Those animals are tougher to hunt and there just isn't the interest like there is with deer, elk, etc. I know lots of people that shoot one bear, one cat, and one wolf and call it good. Many wouldn't hunt them or shoot another even if you gave the tags away.
CO hunters lost their minds when CPW proposed a couple of predator control studies that did not utilize hunters. Yet there are hundreds of unsold A and B list bear tags, plus unfilled lion quotas all over the state. I think most just like to bitch.

Last edited:
Im from Pa and hunt Idaho yes they jacked em up quite a bit but ill still be buying the same tags all the RN tags seem to go up every few yrs in every state just how it goes these days

I'm glad they raise them. It give me an excuse to try MT for a year or two and it should reduce the NR #s. At least my spot was getting a little over ran the last couple of years.

But even at the new $ it still has tremendous value for deer and elk. No idea on predators. I bought a wolf tag every year because it was super cheap and because people keep saying ID is over ran with wolves. 6 years and I never saw or heard one.

Newb here & an Idaho resident. I was wondering if anyone noticed page 5 item 6 in the original link?

"fee for application for the purchase of controlled hunt bonus or preference points"

Did they included this in case they go to a points system?

Not sure I like the new fees for some stuff, I was able to get my non-res nephew his first deer last year & that was a blast & not to expensive for me to buy his license & tag. Next year though I might have to save up for it.

I hope they keep the reduced resident second tags & discounted non-res tags for the predators in some units.

Wolf tags have always been that price, IDFG has authorization to offer the tags at a discount from the legislatively set price. Same with bear tags in certain units where you can get a reduced price, mostly the wilderness units or other places they are trying to increase harvest.

The legislature gave IDFG permission to institute a points systems and set up a fee schedule for it back in 2007 or 2008. IDFG has wisely chosen not to go down that road.

If you actually do something with cats, bear, or wolves...its not cheap to just have them tanned. Crazy expensive if you rug or life size. That keeps me from killing bears every year, I really like hunting and glassing bears, just sucks knowing you're going to spend a couple hundred on tanning every time you pull the trigger.

Do you tan the hide of every deer or elk you kill? Dont have to save every bear or cougar hide. Just take the meat, skull and claws if you dont want to pay to tan the hide.

Do you tan the hide of every deer or elk you kill? Dont have to save every bear or cougar hide. Just take the meat, skull and claws if you dont want to pay to tan the hide.

I don't care much for bear meat, have more than enough bear skulls and hides tanned, and my use for the claws are about as close to zero as anything I can imagine.

Start working through the list, and my reasons for killing another bear aren't out-weighed for not killing them. I'm not going to kill one for a skull and claws, period.

I would shoot another if it was a really big one, preferably a black color phase.

That's pretty common with a vast majority of people I know, they shoot one or two, get a rug made, maybe tan a couple, then never shoot another one.

Newb here & an Idaho resident. I was wondering if anyone noticed page 5 item 6 in the original link?

"fee for application for the purchase of controlled hunt bonus or preference points"

Not sure I like the new fees for some stuff, I was able to get my non-res nephew his first deer last year & that was a blast & not to expensive for me to buy his license & tag. Next year though I might have to save up for it.

I hope they keep the reduced resident second tags & discounted non-res tags for the predators in some units.

That’s a good spot. Let’s hope not!!

Wolf tags have always been that price, IDFG has authorization to offer the tags at a discount from the legislatively set price. Same with bear tags in certain units where you can get a reduced price, mostly the wilderness units or other places they are trying to increase harvest.

The legislature gave IDFG permission to institute a points systems and set up a fee schedule for it back in 2007 or 2008. IDFG has wisely chosen not to go down that road.

This is good to know. Puts this thread to rest if the tag prices for NR's as shown are merely price caps and IDF&G set prices as found best fitting their conservation interests.

It places Idaho's interesting wolf funding back on the table while comparing with MT. For another thread though, I would be curious how Idaho sells so many more wolf tags to practically double $ for wolf management.

I'm more focused on harvesting a wolf in my neck of the woods though if prices remain I'll pick up a tag for our ID bear hunt.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wildfan99
Back