Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

New Elk Rifle/Caliber

Wild Bill

So I'll be moving out to CO this spring and am anticipating my first elk hunt this fall and need a larger rifle. Caliber wise I'm thinking either a 30.06 or a 7MM Mag. I know neither is overkill for elk but I plan to shoot premium rounds so that should all but make-up for any lack of size. Also, I have been debating between a Weatherby Vanguard II, Sako Roughtech Pro, or a Howa Houge (all synthetic stock and stainless barrel). I haven't had the opportunity to shoot either the Sako or Howa, any input would be greatly appreciated on pros/cons of these rifles. Thanks!

I have that sako in 300 win mag. It's a awsome rifle. I'm also very partial to the 7mm I've killed lots of elk with mine

7mm-08 is plenty, nothing wrong with another rifle though either. As for what rifle id go with a tikka and a aftermarket stock (b&c, manners, mcmillan), a howa barreled action with an aftermarket stock, or the sako. For the round id go with 06 for under 400 yards, if you practice enough and can go farther than that go with the 7 rem mag.

Use the little 7 if you shoot it well. Save the $ and upgrade your boots, binos, or scope (in that order).

Overkill? How do you make an elk overdead? Any of the choices listed will work if you do what you are supposed to do..

Remington Model 7 Mountain Rifle in 7mm-08. I know some guys say that's fine for elk but I want a bigger caliber just to be safe.

That'll work just fine! Get dialed in with some barnes bullets or accubonds and spend the money you save on a Quality pair of boots or a good pack.

Back