New Elk Rifle/Caliber

Use the little 7 if you shoot it well. Save the $ and upgrade your boots, binos, or scope (in that order).
This!!! And I'd throw backpack into that list ahead of scope. Boots, binos, and backpack have a bigger chance of hindering a hunt much more than the difference between a 7-08 and a 30-06.

Premium bullets in a 7-08 will do all everything you need for anything to be found in CO. I'd bet you couldn't tell the difference between it and a 30-06 as to on game results.

If I was looking for an elk rifle ,it would be a Browning XBOLT in 30cal.or larger. .That's what I did.

There is no such thing as overkill, but that being said, that 7-08 will work great. Load it with 140-grain premiums and go kill stuff. If you want another rifle, the options you mentioned are all good, but I am a 7 mag fan for caliber.

Elk are not bullet-proof. Buzz has killed them past 600 with his 7-08s.

My main rifle is a Vanguard S2 in 7mm Rem mag. I live in CO and hunt elk, deer and antelope. It shoots Barnes 160 grain factory ammo into an inch or less @ 100 yards. Can't say enough good things about the rifle. It is a little on the heavy side but I'm ok with that.

Remington Model 7 Mountain Rifle in 7mm-08. I know some guys say that's fine for elk but I want a bigger caliber just to be safe.

I'd much rather pack that around the mountains than a heavier 30-06 or 7mm. Light rifles are nice in elk country.

You might want to read the article John Barsness wrote for the latest Hodgdon reloading manual. He did an extensive test on the 30-06 and 165 grain bullets. That said, I would suggest the 30-06 in a used Sako and go kill some elk. You won't be disappointed...

Just like gun manufactures have their fan boys calibers have their fan boys.

You can't go wrong with Sako, Howa, or Weatherby line of rifles that you stated.

What is more important on a rifle than a caliber or manufacture is ergonomics.

You will shoot a rifle that fits you well better than a rifle that is too short or two long.

The position where you rest your hand on the gun when pulling the trigger is also something to consider.

You will like an evenly balanced stock better than one that isn't evenly balanced.

You will like a well positioned safety, better than one that is in an awkward position.

You will like a better trigger than you will like a subpar trigger.

You can always upgrade any of the parts that you do not like in a gun and some are easier to upgrade than others.

You can't go wrong with a 7mm or a .30-06. At 300 yards they are close to the same in point blank range sighted in at 200 yards. Where the 7mm is better than the .30-06 is at the 400+ yard range, because it drops less.

Tell ya what. I have two 7 RM's in the safe that I haven't even shot once in a few years now. A Weatherby VGS and a S&W 1500.

Iffen your set on a 'new' Elk rifle, I'll trade you even Steven either one of them for the Mdl7.

I like your choices and I think you should just pick which one fits better. Either caliber would be fine so just decide if you want a reliable work horse or a thoroughbred.

I'd add in a winchester 70 extreme weather
If I were picking I'd go with 06

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back