Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

New Bow?

MN_Bowhunter4

I'm trying really hard to simultaneously talk myself into and out of a new bow. I'm not dropping a grand on one and would be more in the budget side of things. My current bow (PSE XForce Axe 6) is about 10 years old. Shootability is number 1 on my list, followed by smoothness and probably speed - even though I believe those contradict each other. Has technology evolved enough that I would benefit from purchasing a new one?

Yes, I think you'd be up grading at this point. If you had 5 year old bow, not so much. If you like that PSE take look at some new PSE's with evolve cams> I think you will find the best combination of smoothness with speed that is currently only the market. Evoke 31, Evolve 31 evoke LT...ect

Good to know, thanks!

The other thing I’m battling is my season starting in a month. I’m undecided if I just go for it now, or give it one more season with my current setup and buy a new one in the winter/spring. Decisions decisions.

Good to know, thanks!

The other thing I’m battling is my season starting in a month. I’m undecided if I just go for it now, or give it one more season with my current setup and buy a new one in the winter/spring. Decisions decisions.

stick with what you have and pick up a left over 2019 or used 2019 bow later in the year.

As for speed no. Bows 15 years ago shot 330fps which is what 90% of bows shoot now. The big difference is draw cycle and quietness. You can get last year's top of the line bows for a couple hundred off if you shop around. Or what I would do is go and shoot every bow you can get your hands on and then after hunting season go buy one when all the companies drop nexts years models. Which should be December/ January ish. They will heavily discount this year's stuff to clear inventory for the new stuff. I bought a brand new bowtech realm for $750. Which is $250 off retail. And you still get the lifetime factory warranty, unlike of you buy used.

But as for bows my bowtech realm on comfort setting it is quite smooth (although I shoot mine on performance because of less let off). I just got rid of a mathews halon 32. Which although a little heavy was a super smooth bow. And their new line up or even last year's lineup was fantastic. I also own an elite impulse which I love and has been one of my most "shootable" bows. I've been looking hard at Athens bows. Which are essentially elites technology (I believe some of elites engineers headed over to athens) and you can get a brand new bow for $800 that is one heck of a bow. pse also makes some great shooters too. I love the Drive and response. Great bows for the money. And on the budget side Bear definitely makes the best bow for the money I personally think. The bear approach is probably the best deal out there. Super smooth draw and still has speed. And I think it goes for $400-$500 depending on where you find it.
But like I said I would go look around and don't let anyone talk you in to a specific bow. Make sure you shoot it and like it. After all it is YOUR bow. Some great deals can be had here in the next few months.

Thanks both for the advice. My analytical side definitely says wait until after the season and take my time shopping, for reasons you've noted. I have no affinity to any brand so I'll just be looking for whichever one is most comfortable for me.

Yes it has evolved enough to justify it. Waiting is not a bad deal. There will be some deals after Christmas as the season winds down. I really really like the Matthews Vertix, which is a new bow this year. It is a $1000 bow but should be cheaper after the season. Check out the Bear Divergent bow. I shot one a couple weeks ago at the local Bass pro and was really impressed. It shoots like a $1000 plus bow and can be had in a RTS package for less than $800.

In my opinion if your current bow is working, don't switch UNTIL you find a new one that fits you and feels great. I think it can be a big mistake to "upgrade" before you find the right next bow.

Yes, I think things have progressed enough to justify an upgrade. I sold a Mathews last year that was about 8 years old so I could upgrade on a model that is more budget friendly.

If you’re happy with how your current bow is shooting though, I would wait on transitioning to a new one at this point.

The best advice for choosing which bow to buy is to shoot every bow you can get your hands on, but try to not shoot more than 3 or 4 bows at a time as it can become overwhelming. Find a shop that will take the time and set them up correctly as an improperly setup bow can shoot terrible and leave a bad taste in your mouth for a certain bow. Try and compare apples to apples when choosing as well....have all bows set at the same poundage and draw weight also as that can skew the results.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Appreciate the responses. I’m very comfortable with my current setup so I won’t be switching until after the new year. That’ll make a nice Christmas present to myself!

I’m familiar with a few of the shops around town, and have done a bit of research on who offers what. My plan as of now is to drive over to WI to a shop that seems to offer most every brand. Then shoot what’s within my budget and see how they feel.

just my 2 cents I have always bought a new bow every 4 to 6 yrs but didnt for a while due to the fact you dont gain much speed but you do in noise and newer being smoother so I put it off for a while my last was an alpha max prob 9 yrs old that being said
I have a friend that is the king of getting a 1 or 2 yr old bow for abt 50% less than new, so he started looking for me this yr found me a 2 yr old hoyt nitrum turbo at a steal did the same for 2 other friends so im kinda sold. theirs a lot of guys that upgrade every yr or 2 so im all in when buying a 2 yr old bow that sold for 1100 new and picking it up for 4 or 500

Back