Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Custom Recurve feedback?

Firedude

I'm going to try my best to not make this an advertisement so much as a, "market curiosity" thread.

So I've built bows since I was a kid. Laminated longbow and recurves. As I've aged occasionally people asked me to build them one. "Sure thing!" It's evolved into discussions with the wife of turning it into a part time business.

So... My questions are mainly interest in trad bows. I love em! But I'd like some general hunting world feedback.

1. If you've thought about purchasing a traditional bow and haven't, why not?

2. Most of my bows sold are to people brand new to archery. They tried compounds in the store and got frustrated. They felt overwhelmed by the "machine". They flug a few arrows with one of my bows and happily bought one. Is that a common thing for those looking at getting into archery?

3. If question 2 is your issue, how comfortable are you talking to a bow builder vs buying one out of a box in the store? (I get they are cheaper, but there's a lot if reasons why they are cheap.)

4. For those thinking of buying a traditional bow for any reason. What is the price range you would anticipate and/or be happy with making the commitment.

5. Seasoned trad guys, what would spur you into looking at a custom build? What would make you think, "I really want to buy one of those!"

Any other thoughts or questions would be appreciated. Like I said this is a poll the audience kind of thing. Wondering if I should make the financial commitment.

20230717_095546.jpg

20230717_095250.jpg20230717_095233.jpg

Be careful of turning your passion into your pain? Are you content with the way most people are to deal with? I'm not trying to steer you away, just hoping you think of everything. You may make the best and prettiest bows. I'm an ebayer and not much help in buying anything of any great retail value. Unfortunately, alot of these older bows are still good bows and will be around for awhile. Is there a current decline in bowyers? It kind of seems like that so I'm sure there is room. I love the exotic woods with a lot of figure. I do not think I'm alone in that. I would like to build my own recurve some day as well. If your good, it will pay. As one of the gentleman above put it, there are people who like these things.

Be careful of turning your passion into your pain? Are you content with the way most people are to deal with? I'm not trying to steer you away, just hoping you think of everything. You may make the best and prettiest bows. I'm an ebayer and not much help in buying anything of any great retail value. Unfortunately, alot of these older bows are still good bows and will be around for awhile. Is there a current decline in bowyers? It kind of seems like that so I'm sure there is room. I love the exotic woods with a lot of figure. I do not think I'm alone in that. I would like to build my own recurve some day as well. If your good, it will pay. As one of the gentleman above put it, there are people who like these things.
First of all, THANK YOU FOR THE TIME YOU PUT IN! currently there is a decline in bowyers. Everything is assembly line, speed, modern machine, patent, high performance, newest latest greatest...

I am being VERY VERY cautious of that. I could knock out a bow in 4 days but I'm telling people it takes a month. For good reason, I don't want to clap the golden Handcuffs on. Right now if u don't like the way the grain sits I can go mow the lawn and think about how to make the best most Beautiful grain in the bow. I'm good with that. I can consider how tall you are and the weight you want and adjust the limbs to shoot accurately and look pretty, while I scrub the toilet my family hammered... I don't want to wake up at 5 to make my side gig my main gig. It's a wander the house and think, "I could pull better grain out of that wood by cutting 4 inches instead of 7 and doing a 4 degree off the end'' Kind of thing.

I'd like to keep it that way while simultaneously someone goes to Alaska and confidently kills a moose and sheep with one. Then if some kid kills a 2 point the best day with one be just as proud.

I am shooting a recurve my dad built inn 1974. I will use it this year for my deer hunt.

I had a scheels brand 50lb recurve break last year (limb snapped)

I would like to get a new bow this fall.

I have killed a deer with a compound. Almost too easy. Also too much going on. The simplicity of the recurve is appealing to me.

Custom recurve price? Hard to say. I don't think I have a single firearm or piece of equipment that is north of $1200 all in.

1: I personally own 1 recurve, and it's my bow fishing setup. I did grow up shooting recurve.

2: It's becoming pretty common for compound shooters to switch to traditional. The simplicity of it speaks to many. It's also a good way to get into archery, for the same reasons. The problem being on both sides that a lot of folks are heavily over what their pull weight should be and their mechanics are trash.

3: There will always be those who would rather pay the box store price for something that works and is immediately availabe than pay custom shop prices for something that excels in performance/feel but they have to wait for. A good Bowyer is no different than any other skilled tradesman in which they should be able to effectively communicate with clients about expected lead times, delays (impossible to avoid completely), and what can or cannot be done.

4: For a handmade custom bow I would expect anywhere from $800-$1,800+. I've seen some that are $2,300 and up which seems high to me but I've never made a bow either and materials cost certainly plays a part.

5: I wouldn't consider myself a seasoned trad shooter, but I and many others do appreciate quality craftsmanship no matter the field.

Last edited:
I am currently having a custom recurve built. I “researched” different bowyers and settled on the one I did for a few different reasons; the quality of work, attention to detail, the attitude; or lack there of, willingness to speak w me over the phone directly about wants n expectations, and the “size” of the company.
Have been bow hunting since I was 12/13yo n am now 52. I’ve shot many compound bows successfully as well as a recurve for a while. The reasons I’m going w a recurve are to increase the challenge, compounds seem too much like tech now; after a couple years n it’s obsolete, and I wanted something special that can be passed on to my grandchildren.
As for as price I would expect $800+ depending on materials

Well, a Black Widow semi-custom is $1300, a Schaefer will be a little more to a whole lot more depending on options, so there's your competition. And Schaefer's wait time is 15 months.

And x 100 what @p_ham said.

And I suspect the biggest reason compound shooters will be disappointed is if they overbow when going trad, or get a bow too short and it stacks.

Exotic woods are getting harder to find, so make sure you have a sustainable source.

I don't know where you live, but if you build a few and take them to a weekend meet, you'll likely see what the demand is.

Good luck. Really nice-looking bow.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll try to get back to you individually later.

Final question. Kids bows? Believe it or not a lot of my requests are for bows for kids. Yeah the idea of dropping that kind of cash on a youth bow is surprising. But some of my 20 year old bows are now getting recycled to the next generation. Some want a bow for their kids that their grandchildren can shoot later.

Draw weights you have your kids shooting? draw length? I just need an average so I can start designing a quality youth bow. Other thoughts?

I bought two kid longbows from Maddog Archery at about $100 each a couple of years ago. Those were about 25# at 26" which was his standard recommendation. He let you choose riser wood from some basics and color of bow string. I think his adult bows were about four or five, depending.

Maddog was Mike Mcredy. He closed up shop recently to be a musician or something.

I considered purchasing a custom recurve last year. I'll be honest, the long wait and the $1000+ price put me off. But that is because I do have a nice recurve that my dad got back in the late 60's. A hunting buddy of his was making them.

I felt that it was too small for me, but I decided to take a closer look at it and whether I could shoot it well instead of buying something else. Besides my real aim is to eventually make a bow of my own.

That being said, I may not be your target customer base, but I would definitely think that there is a market for as many bowyers as there are people wanting to sell bows. You can see that in the fact that most bowyers have a wait time of several months.

As far as pricing, I talked to a guy once who was a handyman as a side hustle. He started out just charging for parts and helping the little old ladies in his church. But word got out and he had so much demand that it was taking all of his time, so he raised his prices. Demand went up somehow, so he raised his prices again and demand still went up. He kept raising his prices until he got to a point where he had just enough demand to fill the time he was willing to put into his sideline. I know that is just economics 101, but I would suggest you use price as a lever to determine how much time you are putting in to the bow making.

Good luck!

Check out 3 Rivers archery for an idea on pricing. A Bear take down is $1029.99 and a extra set of limbs are $399.99. I have one that when I bought it was $250.00. Ya it's been awhile since I bought it. I later ordered a Schaefer take down with 2 sets of limbs with elk antler tips and a few other options. I met with Dave Windhauer at his shop and worked up my order. I ordered a extra set of limbs for it. With the options it would run around $2500.00 at 2023 prices. It's a beauty for sure and shoots great. The big plus is it was made for me the way I wanted it. Currently I have a metal handle Bear takedown, a wood handled bear takedown and my Schaefer takedown. I like them all and shoot all of them.

Concentrate on quality and not quantity and you will get a good customer base.

Nice looking bow for sure! If you decide to turn it into a business I think you could do very well. From my experience there are more than a few people who are willing to spend large amounts of money for true custom handcrafted work. Good luck to you!

I've been hunting with recurves since 1975. I tried a compound for 2 seasons, but wasn't for me. I have couple custom bow that I love, but have couple Martin and bear bows that I love.

For me, it's not about beauty, but function. I have really long arms, and pull honest 31 inches. So, finds a bow that pulls the weight without stacking, quiet on release and feels good in the hand.
Haven't looked at bows in 20 yrs. But I'd expect to pay a grand.

On a side note. It appears custom bows don't seem to hold there value very well. I was looking to sell a couple that I can't pull anymore, looking at what was selling on line I was surprised.

Brother here’s some considerations, I’ve got lots of custom bows, some recurve, mostly longbow, some hybrids. When I buy a bow it’s typically from I maker I trust, and like the bow, way it shoots, customer service, etc.
If I advise someone they might consider my recommendations. That’s the way I bet many new guys get their start towards custom bows. I’ll be honest, I never heard of you right? You advertise in some magizine or at a bow shoot I’ll prob not pay lots of attn. I’d walk right past you towards where I’m going to look.
How to get a foot in the door than? You can go to bow shoots. Offer guys a practice butt, let them actually shoot it. That only will let them see speed, shootability, stacking, looks. Still doesn’t prove longevity.
Looking in your eye could probably of the guy is a decent reader tell if you’re honest or not so the customer service thing until proven wrong I’d give you benefit of doubt if I saw what I liked.
You can also offer pass around bows. Ship them out to one guy a month with his promise to pass it along in a month to the next guy who wants it.
You’re price prob can’t be too low if it’s honestly good quality. It’ll never seem like it is and too high guys would at least initially shy away without knowing bow.
You could also offer bows to St Jude’s auction on trad gang, fundraiser bows for dif organizations, etc
Just figuring guys will embrace you with out knowing you simply because you jumped in is I don’t believe a high odds option.
Now constructive criticism. I don’t personally favor the way the bow looks. So you would need to offer other options as well.
I believe a booth with shooters able to try bow at trad bow shoots might be your best start.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tzog
Back