Yeti GOBOX Collection

New .270 for Alaska?

Browning X Bolt stainless stalker is in your price range. Higher level of fit & finish than Tikka, however, my T3x is accurate with a smooth action and nice trigger. I'm satisfied (not amazed) with the stock. I don't hate it enough to upgrade.

I picked up a Browning X-bolt Western Hunter Stainless in .270 on sale at Cabela’s recently for $750. I’ve only shot it twice. First time was before I got my scope just to get some rounds through it, and the second time was zero’ing my new scope on it. Was dead accurate out to 300 yds with Federal Fusion 130gr factory ammo. It does have a plastic magazine though. I generally carry two mags with each of my hunting rifles, so plastic is OK for me.

Browning X Bolt stainless stalker is in your price range. Higher level of fit & finish than Tikka, however, my T3x is accurate with a smooth action and nice trigger. I'm satisfied (not amazed) with the stock. I don't hate it enough to upgrade.
My dad has that exact rifle and loves it. Shoots great, and is smooth

.30-06 for Alaska? Better for moose and bear. You might not hunt bear but they might hunt you.

I would look at a christenson arms mesa. can be found for 999. They are in a different category than anything you listed. A very fine rifle.

For moose hunting, I use a .300 H&H with 180gr TTSX, IMR4831 (I hunt interior AK most of the time)
I use my .270 for sheep, caribou, black bear, sitka blacktails (130 gr TTSX, IMR4350)
The TTSX would work on Griz if you have a problem, I assume.

The TTSX would work on Griz if you have a problem, I assume.
Yes if placed properly.
My hunting partner killed 11 interior grizzlies all with 1-shot kills using a 180gr partition load...his maximum distance was always 50 yards.
On his 12th griz, he got within 50 yards as usual, but forgot to put one in the chamber...click...
Long story short, it took him 13 bullets to finally kill that bear....that hide was like swiss cheese stained with blueberry.
Came back to camp with no bullets...luckily we both shot 300 H&H , so extra bullets and he go to shot his bull moose the next day.

That’d be the worst click ever. Wow. Where’s the shot placement for your friend on these one shot kills?

In my opinion, you can't go wrong with a Savage. Take a look at the 116 TROPHY HUNTER XP, AXIS II XP STAINLESS, and the 110 APEX STORM XP.

If you like Remy 700’s you really owe it to yourself to look at Bergara. I purchased their Ridge rifle last year in 6.5 and love it. When I bought it, they were retailing for over $900, but I was able to buy it through Gallery of Guns for $750. I think there are a couple of online retailers selling them for that much now. But check on Gallery of guns and see what kind of deal you can get it for through one of your local FFL’s. Only thing is, I don’t think they are available in stainless, just matte blue, but they are available in .270. That said, just wipe it down with an oily rag if you think you’re going to be out in the wet.

Last edited:
If you like Remy 700’s you really owe it to yourself to look at Bergara. I purchased their Ridge rifle last year in 6.5 and love it. When I bought it, they were retailing for over 900, but I was able to buy it through Gallery of guns for 750. I think there are a couple of online retailers selling them for that much now. But check on Gallery of guns and see what kind of deal you can get it for through one of your local FFL’s. Only thing is, I don’t think they are available in stainless, just matte blue, but they are available in .270. That said, just wipe it down with an oily rag if you think you’re going to be out in the wet.

Bergara rifles are fantastic value and their B-14 Wilderness Rifles are cerakoted for extra durability, but chambering offerings look to be more limited than the standard B-14 Series - no 270 nor 30-06 :confused:

Bergara rifles are fantastic value and their B-14 Wilderness Rifles are cerakoted for extra durability, but chambering offerings look to be more limited than the standard B-14 Series - no 270 nor 30-06 :confused:
It is interesting that they only offer standard bolt face cartridges in short action (edited to add PRC in SA) and magnum bolt face in long action. Then again, those are the bigger trends at the moment.

I have a Kimber 84M Hunter in .270. It was $750 and I put a Leupold VX3 3.5 -10x on it. Great gun. Very light but comfortable to shoot and accurate.

Just saying, I recently purchased a Bergara B-14 Hunter in 300WM, locally here in Utah for $699. The factory trigger was very good, but I wanted a very light pull so I had a Trigger Tech Special trigger put in, and the action ( which comes Pillar Bedded) skim bedded. I shoot 73gr of R23 and the 175 LRX at 3080 fps....into a bughole! It is what I call a Light Sporter, its free floated and stock is very stiff. I like it and if I were to worry about rain/snow up there, just paint it with Alumihyde from Brownells. :) Not sure if they come in .270, but they do in 30-06. Good luck to you!

Last edited:
Back