Looking at new stocks

TN2shot07

I know there’s plenty of experience here on this subject. I have 3 rifles that I’m looking to re-stock. One will be my Christmas project, the others will wait until after season. I’ll list the rifles and what I’m leaning towards, definitely not set on it yet.

Weatherby Vanguard 30-06 - Bell and Carlson, I like that it’s available in the weatherby style stock and want to keep that look on this one. Also, the savings from the bc will cover some of the cerakote costs

Remington 700 Stainless 270 - Boyd laminate, curious about the fitment as I haven’t used one of their laminates before. Had good luck with a walnut from them tho

Remington 700 adl 30-06 (first rifle I ever bought) - leaning toward an HS Precision for this one, upgraded the scope and cerakoted last year so looking to finish it up

Thanks for any help!

I have all 3 and each is a great addition. You will be happy with them. My favorite is the H&S Precision, but as a serial Tikka owner, I have more B&C than H&S.

I have 3 with HS stocks and I really like them. I like the rougher texture - easier to grip.

A Tikka (probably 7-08) is next on my list, if I can find a reason 🤔
Have you had any issues with fitting or have they all pretty much been drop in?

Take a look at AG Composites. I bought a Privateer for my 700 Mountain. Light, extremely rigid, and excellent fit and finish. As good as my McMillans with less than half the wait time, usually 4-6 weeks.
They inlet their stocks for 700s and clones and the Howa/ Vanguard rifles. There are several companies inletting them for Tikkas as well.

Check out the Grayboe line of stocks. I just put the Outlander (I think) on a Rem 700 and it dropped right in without any modifications. Its got a texture to that is pretty grippy. It also shaved 5 or 6 ounces off the OEM stock. I could never get into the B&C stocks, grip was too thick and I had to shave down the barrel channel to get it to fit.

Check out the Grayboe line of stocks. I just put the Outlander (I think) on a Rem 700 and it dropped right in without any modifications. Its got a texture to that is pretty grippy. It also shaved 5 or 6 ounces off the OEM stock. I could never get into the B&C stocks, grip was too thick and I had to shave down the barrel channel to get it to fit.
Likin' the Outlander....

Take a look at AG Composites. I bought a Privateer for my 700 Mountain. Light, extremely rigid, and excellent fit and finish. As good as my McMillans with less than half the wait time, usually 4-6 weeks.
They inlet their stocks for 700s and clones and the Howa/ Vanguard rifles. There are several companies inletting them for Tikkas as well.
These look like super nice stocks, a little beyond what I was looking to spend but may be worth it for a special build!

I had actually looked at the grayboe but didn’t know anyone who’d used them. I’ll take another look at the outlander, looks similar to the hs but a little lighter. Thanks!

These look like super nice stocks, a little beyond what I was looking to spend but may be worth it for a special build!
They are very light and stiff but the paint job is not very scuff resistant (I have one for an ultra-light Tikka superlite build project). I might add a few coats of Brownells Alumahyde Expoxy clear coat.

Lee at Oregon Mountain Rifles does Tikka inletting for AGC. Took about 4-5 weeks for him to get the stock from AGC and 2-3 weeks for him to inlet. Nice guy to work with.

I love B&C stocks. Alot better than my McMillan edge filled stock I have. I’ll never make the mistake of buying another McMillan.

Stockystocks.com usually has good deals on stocks.

I know there’s plenty of experience here on this subject. I have 3 rifles that I’m looking to re-stock. One will be my Christmas project, the others will wait until after season. I’ll list the rifles and what I’m leaning towards, definitely not set on it yet.

Weatherby Vanguard 30-06 - Bell and Carlson, I like that it’s available in the weatherby style stock and want to keep that look on this one. Also, the savings from the bc will cover some of the cerakote costs

Remington 700 Stainless 270 - Boyd laminate, curious about the fitment as I haven’t used one of their laminates before. Had good luck with a walnut from them tho

Remington 700 adl 30-06 (first rifle I ever bought) - leaning toward an HS Precision for this one, upgraded the scope and cerakoted last year so looking to finish it up

Thanks for any help!
I bought a bell and Carlson for my switch and Wesson 1500 basically a vanguard or howa...love it super nice..sweet colors do it

Out of curiosity, what didn’t you like about it?

Crazy expensive, crazy wait times, not much lighter than my B&C stock, grip is too thin for my taste, and had to send it back 3 times for them to get the barrel channel right(the stock is about an 1” too long on the forend, though).

I went through all that and my rifle weighs about an ounce or two different from my B&C stock.

All my B&C stocks have been drop in ready with no mods needed, the grip is the perfect size, at a fraction of the cost, and have shipped when I placed my order.

The McMillan stocks are definitely not worth the price and wait time for me.

I have all 3 and each is a great addition. You will be happy with them. My favorite is the H&S Precision, but as a serial Tikka owner, I have more B&C than H&S.
Does your H-S have the barrel centering screws?
If so what are your thoughts on them?

Reading around on the inter-webs, it seems to be a topic of speculation for some

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back