Looking at new stocks

Did you guys notice any accuracy improvement? I have a Vanguard in .243 and accuracy has always been finnicky. I was thinking a B&C stock bedded might improve the accuracy over the melted-pringles-lids stock it came with.

Does your H-S have the barrel centering screws?
If so what are your thoughts on them?

Reading around on the inter-webs, it seems to be a topic of speculation for some
I LOVE that feature! A big improvement over filing out channel or filing out action area and bedding. As for accuracy effects, the rifle shoots sub MOA all day.

Did you guys notice any accuracy improvement? I have a Vanguard in .243 and accuracy has always been finnicky. I was thinking a B&C stock bedded might improve the accuracy over the melted-pringles-lids stock it came with.
Probably only helps accuracy if your current stock touches the barrel due to too much flex. This depends not only on stock fit and flex, but also how much pressure you place on forearm during setup - for example using a bipod.

I know the trend is composite across the board. I came across a Rem 700 30:06 ADL (gifted to me) and decided to build a mid range hunter 3-600 yard rifle. I am not a traditional body type or shooter so I went with a Boyd's Composite. Extremely satisfied and overly impressed with the quality. The customizability is unmatched by the composite stock industry. For shooters with quirky issues like length of pull, left handed shooter who shoot a Rt handed action and various other issues you just can't get a composite stock built for a "reasonable" price.

IMG_3742.jpegIMG_3740.jpg62726137078__A62FDD60-C21F-4AB0-AF2A-B27DB5505A65.jpegIMG_3741.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an HS Precision on my 700. Its a solid stock and I've had zero issues with it. My next build will probably be a AG composite. They seem to have a lot of choices for left hand.

I know the trend is composite across the board. I came across a Rem 700 30:06 ADL (gifted to me) and decided to build a mid range hunter 3-600 yard rifle. I am not a traditional body type or shooter so I went with a Boyd's Composite. Extremely satisfied and overly impressed with the quality. The customizability is unmatched by the composite stock industry. For shooters with quirky issues like length of pull, left handed shooter who shoot a Rt handed action and various other issues you just can't get a composite stock built for a "reasonable" price.

View attachment 162806View attachment 162807View attachment 162808View attachment 162809
That’s pretty close to what I’m looking at for the 270, sweet looking stock and the deer checkering is a nice touch!

I have an HS Precision on my 700. Its a solid stock and I've had zero issues with it. My next build will probably be a AG composite. They seem to have a lot of choices for left hand.
I looked at AG as well. In the end my choice was based around giving myself the best opportunity to be accurate out to 500 yards. I have never shot with a Cheekrest/Montecarlo & riser designed for a left handed shooter aside from a buddy's left handed action Browning of which I was more accurate (I am extremely left eye dominant). Unfortunately I shoot a right handed action because I am helplessly uncoordinated with my left hand so cycling a left handed action is like a Monkey .......... a football if you know what I mean. I am also a shorter person with a LOP that doesn't conform to "standard". Boyd's built a completely custom stock for $408.00 shipped to my door (Budget was a big concern in this build as well).

A moldy oldie H-S Precision from about 1987. .25-06 now. I had the original recoil pad replaced with a Pachmayr decelerator pad plus a 1/4' spacer was added for extra LOP.

A0S87cB.jpg

@ntodwild
Dumb question, but do you adjust your LOP for the thickness of the selected recoil pad when doing a build and price on Boyd's website.
So for example, I need a 13 ¾ LOP. I want the 1" limbsaver instead of the ½" Boyd's pad. So I would select a 13¼ stock?

I hope that makes sense lol

@ntodwild
Dumb question, but do you adjust your LOP for the thickness of the selected recoil pad when doing a build and price on Boyd's website.
So for example, I need a 13 ¾ LOP. I want the 1" limbsaver instead of the ½" Boyd's pad. So I would select a 13¼ stock?

I guess do what you need to in order to get the LOP that you want.

Check out the Grayboe line of stocks. I just put the Outlander (I think) on a Rem 700 and it dropped right in without any modifications. Its got a texture to that is pretty grippy. It also shaved 5 or 6 ounces off the OEM stock. I could never get into the B&C stocks, grip was too thick and I had to shave down the barrel channel to get it to fit.
Thank you. I like the vertical grip on the Terrain model. i had never heard of them, but the funny thing is they are located about 30 minutes from my house

@ntodwild

LOP is normally always measured to the end of the recoil pad so order your stock to your specific LOP and the pad will be fitted to that LOP. Some stocks can only be order up to a certain LOP before spacers must be added to achieve longer LOP.

My Tikka shoots significantly better with the B&C stock than it does with the original. I wish the B&C's were just a bit slimmer in profile and a hair lighter, but I do like mine.

@ntodwild

No need to adjust. Boyd's will make the necessary adjustment to the stock based on the thickness of the pad you choose. If you need 13 3/4" then that is what you order. I highly recommend the 1" Limbsaver and a Boyd's technician also advised me with the same when I ordered my stock. Not sure if it is the Limbsaver pad or the wood or both but I noticed a difference in recoil "for the better" from the original composite Remington stock and pad.

Last edited by a moderator:
My Tikka shoots significantly better with the B&C stock than it does with the original. I wish the B&C's were just a bit slimmer in profile and a hair lighter, but I do like mine.
I have only shot this build twice now. Once with the original Remington stock and once with the new Boyds. I was pretty excited to see my groups went from just over MOA at about 1.25-1.5" to a sub MOA at .8" I did notice the original stock had some scuff marks in the barrel channel so I know it did rub which may have had something to do with accuracy. I have still not glass bedded the Boyd's stock which is next on the list. The fit on the Boyd's was perfect for the Rem 700 action and I ordered it with pillars installed. The only thing I did to the stock before testing it was a little sanding in the barrel bed where it was just a little snug in one section for a business card to slide through. I am guessing the glass bedding may get me a little more accuracy but only time will tell?

The nice thing about Boyd's is that they have so many builds to choose from as far as slim forehand or wide depending on the model. The stock I ordered was a Prairie Hunter model which has a nice slender profile much like the original stock.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back