New .270 for Alaska?

AlaskaHunter

I am looking to purchase a new .270...one a bit more weatherproof than my 1976 Remington 700 ADL.
Stainless steel barrel, synthetic stock. The Remington 700 SPS comes in "carbon steel" which would be susceptible to rust?
(I know carbon steel knives rust easily...)

I was also looking at the Tikka but the plastic stock seems pretty poor and a plastic magazine turns me off,
plus all my rifles are old 700s.

Any suggestions? Looking to spend less than $1000. Thanks.

I have a early 70’s adl as well I got from my dad.. Dad logged many Texas whitetails with it over the years but I needed something a tad lighter and with glass newer then the redfield that rifle seems to have been born with.
So I picked up the rem 700 mountain, all stainless and a good shooter and once you get used to the thicker grip that b&c stock has all is good.

I have a early 70’s adl as well I got from my dad.. Dad logged many Texas whitetails with it over the years but I needed something a tad lighter and with glass newer then the redfield that rifle seems to have been born with.
So I picked up the rem 700 mountain, all stainless and a good shooter and once you get used to the thicker grip that b&c stock has all is good.

Just picked one of these up as well. Stainless, b&c stock, lightweight, in hour price range.

Owning a Tikka already, I am curious about the new T3X's with the cerekote finish and the updated stocks. That said, if you don't want to go that route, the Weatherby Vanguard Weatherguard looks like a pretty good option- Cerekote finish, and their stocks are a bit more grippy than the Tikkas. For under $600, and with a sub-MOA guarantee, it seems like a good deal as well.

Depending on your price range, Christensen Arms makes some pretty sweet rifles based on the 700 action. The ridgeline is available in .270 and I would think the carbon wrapped barrel would be fairly weatherproof.
For about the same price range, I have an X-bolt pro in .270. Very lightweight and all cerakote. It's held up well after 2 hard seasons in all kinds of weather and country. I much prefer the lower bolt throw of the browning over the higher bolt lift of the m700 actions.
I did/ still own a model 700 mountain stainless in .270. It did not shoot well at all. I fire lapped the barrel, glass bedded it, lapped the scope rings, and I reload extensively but it would never shoot better than 3 moa. Total dud, so it is currently at the gunsmith being turned into a 25-06.

.....have the Vanguard Series 2 270 24" in SS.......excellent.....all metal....decent weight......original stock is not bad..fairly inflexible ....very reasonable price.....no plastic magazine/box...all metal...aluminum....metal trigger guard, trigger is excellent.......

Tikka T3x. If you don’t like the stock then swap it out, but they are quite functional compared to other mfg’s plastic stocks, including Remington.

I truly believe that the Tikka is a lot better rifle for the money than the newer Remingtons, but the Remingtons aren’t all bad. Aftermarket parts abound for Remingtons, but quite a few are available for Tikkas, as well. Bottom metal is available for Tikkas.

I’d rather get a Bergara than a newer Remington

Does the Tikka have a plastic trigger guard and a plastic magazine?
Your saying replace the factory stock with an after-market Bell & Carlson stock?
Thanks.
I replaced the stock with a Bell & Carslon aftermarket and also replaced the bottom metal and magazines with aftermarkets from Mountain Tactical. But frankly they were entirely personal preference. My son in law uses his .270 in its factory condition and it functions perfectly. Their stock, trigger guard and magazine all are really tough and much better than the cheap plastic you get on lower end rugers, savages and Rem700s. But I liked the upgrades - unnecessary but nice.

I'd take a hard look at Bergara's rifles too. The B14 Wilderness Hunter seems like it would fit your needs very well though they don't offer it in .270WIN. They do offer it in 7mm Rem mag and that is basically a hopped up .270, there is also an option of a 28 Nosler as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back