Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Never bone out shoulder again

Smoked for 4 hours at 180. I rehydrates some gallito peppers and put them in a blender with 4 tomatoes and garlic and a can of chipotle’s in adobo then poured the coke and sauce over the meat and vegetables. I also crushed 2 limes over it. Covered in the oven at 250 for 2 hours then checked it -not falling off yet. Then up to 300 for an hour. (Since I cant seem to follow directions) tasted great, but was a tad dry and tough.View attachment 120898View attachment 120899View attachment 120900View attachment 120901
I’d stick to around 2hours of smoking. We did another one today. Did 2 hours of smoking and 3.5 hours of covered. Was fall off the bone tender

I’d stick to around 2hours of smoking. We did another one today. Did 2 hours of smoking and 3.5 hours of covered. Was fall off the bone tender

I am starting a antelope front shoulder right now following your first post recipe Brockel. Is there an internal temp that you are looking for before adding the other ingredients, and for the finish product? Or just going off time. Thanks

I am starting a antelope front shoulder right now following your first post recipe Brockel. Is there an internal temp that you are looking for before adding the other ingredients, and for the finish product? Or just going off time. Thanks
I never checked internal temps just went off times. Have done it a few times now and has always turned out good

Good to know. Smoke is rollin

42b3116c-5d09-4769-8f19-90ca3f4040a6-jpeg.124593

Attachments

• 42B3116C-5D09-4769-8F19-90CA3F4040A6.jpeg
    42B3116C-5D09-4769-8F19-90CA3F4040A6.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 359
Last edited:
Art, is that a personal build smoker / BBQ? I built a large trailered grill out of an old Kerosene tank mounted on a small boat trailer. Worked great though I did not craft as a smoker. Might be a fun project. If it's a build... mind sharing dimensions, etc?

Looks great!

Art, is that a personal build smoker / BBQ? I built a large trailered grill out of an old Kerosene tank mounted on a small boat trailer. Worked great though I did not craft as a smoker. Might be a fun project. If it's a build... mind sharing dimensions, etc?

Looks great!

I wish I could say it’s something I built. It is a Bighorn grill, basically a Traeger knock off.

Look good. I always wanted to try that but it is hard to make that big of a chunk of meat at once for me with only 3 of us at home.

finally getting to try this today; going to do 2.5hours in the smoker, and 3 in the oven; I didnt take the time to take silver skin off, but if its like the shanks, it should cook away;

I rubbed the shoulder with the meateater beaver trapper bbq rub overnight; then I plan to put into the tin foil pan with peppers, apple juice, onion, can of tomatoes after the smoking process. standby...

finally getting to try this today; going to do 2.5hours in the smoker, and 3 in the oven; I didnt take the time to take silver skin off, but if its like the shanks, it should cook away;

I rubbed the shoulder with the meateater beaver trapper bbq rub overnight; then I plan to put into the tin foil pan with peppers, apple juice, onion, can of tomatoes after the smoking process. standby...
How’d it turn out

not too bad, I was expecting more I guess, but I was going to reach out to you guys more about this. It was not fall off the bone tender, it was tender but some areas were alittle dry--the apple juice half of course was more tender.
smoked for 2.5 hours at 200, the meat had a nice 1/4" smoke ring, however I could not really taste any smoke, could taste alittle bit of the meat rub i used
in the oven--covered-- for 3 hours at 300, checked with fork, put back in the oven for another 45 minutes, seemed to help.

So maybe alittle longer in the oven?
I think i need to try a different meat rub with some more salt to it along with taking most of the surface silver skin off

I only used about 2/3rds of a bottle of apple juice since that amount covered about half of the shoulder.

dont get me wrong, this is still the way to go with a shoulder, I just need to make some adjustments (y)

Last edited:
I tried the Hank Shaw Venison Barbacoa shoulder recipe for a party using a whole mule deer shoulder. Smoked for 2 hours, crock pot for another 2-3. I did not think it was fall off the bone, seemed like I did more cutting than “pulling”. I thought the taste was pretty good, nothing crazy delicious, but the party guests really liked it. I will try it again someday.

Yu
Tried a new recipe today and it turned out amazing. Take a whole deer or antelope shoulder and season however you’d like. Throw it on smoker at 200 degrees for 2.5-3 hours. Put it in an aluminum foil pan. Add a few sliced peppers and onions. Dump a can of chilis in sauce on top of the shoulder. Dump in a bottle of coke and cover the pan in tin foil and put back on the smoker at 300 degrees for another 3 hours. Pull off and the meat will fall off the bone. Shred it and put it on taco shells. I will never bone out another shoulder on a deer or antelope again.
View attachment 117160
View attachment 117161
View attachment 117162
View attachment 117163
View attachment 117164
Yup, I packed out my whole deer this year, minus the spine. Bone in roasts are the way to go. I braise mine though. The shoulder blades make great rattles too and are easier to carry than antlers.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back