Never bone out shoulder again

Anyone else since February? Any other tips?

I'm fixing to throw both front shoulders off a lope into the freezer whole to give a try later.

I’m not sure it would shred as good being there is larger chunks of meat with less connective tissue but I could be wrong
That is what I am thinking for the rear as well. I think it would get dried out.

Well we are heading up to the in-laws for the the MN deer opener and I was searching for this thread. I cannot wait to try this. Thanks for sharing this

I will give one piece of advise when doing this, make sure there is enough liquid in the baking dish. The first time I did this, it was phenomenal, a couple weeks ago I did this, not so much. It was definitely still edible but the meat didn't shred like the first time and seemed too dry. I used a larger baking dish and the meat was up above the liquid quite a bit which I believe was my main problem.

Thanks for the ideas guys. As I don’t have a smoker I tried something similar. Took a whole front leg from an antelope, shank and shoulder, and put it in the nesco for maybe five or six hours - low and slow - and it was amazing. I seasoned the leg with seasoned salt and pepper and dropped it in the roaster with some broth and beer and covered it in mirepoix. It wasn’t dry at all, really tender, and fell apart. You could have used the meat for just about anything, but I liked it best just eating it with the mirepoix. The connective tissue broke down really nicely and added a great texture and richness to the broth. I think the broth would have been a great base for a gravy too if that’s your thing. Next time I’ll do both front legs at the same time and freeze the extra.

02D0AB42-7920-4613-858B-0781D7FA2365.jpeg

Last edited:
Give me a moment, still eating....

Lol. It was really good, although it took longer than I expected to braise. And I made the braising liquid too salty.

While it finished smoking I toasted some dried guajillo(?) Chiles and put them in some water to soften. Then I sautéed two whole yellow onions and deglazed with water from the chiles. Then I added "better than bullion" beef, Worcester, paprika, pepper, salt, and a dash of cumin I think. Then I simmered for a bit and used that to moisten the chiles more and tossed them in the food processor. I added that back to the mix to simmer a bit more.

Then I piled the onions on the shoulder as shown, added the liquid, and braised for 3+ hours. Pulled the meat, made a gravy with the liquid by adding corn starch and heavy cream. Put it all over mashed potatoes. Fantastic.

Give me a moment, still eating....

Lol. It was really good, although it took longer than I expected to braise. And I made the braising liquid too salty.

While it finished smoking I toasted some dried guajillo(?) Chiles and put them in some water to soften. Then I sautéed two whole yellow onions and deglazed with water from the chiles. Then I added "better than bullion" beef, Worcester, paprika, pepper, salt, and a dash of cumin I think. Then I simmered for a bit and used that to moisten the chiles more and tossed them in the food processor. I added that back to the mix to simmer a bit more.

Then I piled the onions on the shoulder as shown, added the liquid, and braised for 3+ hours. Pulled the meat, made a gravy with the liquid by adding corn starch and heavy cream. Put it all over mashed potatoes. Fantastic.
Might have to try that this weekend

Oh boy! This was amazing. Smoked at 225 for 3 hrs. Put in pan with 32oz beef broth, 4 cut peppers, 2 onions, can of chili beans undrained, can of mexi corn, can of rotel and covered for 4 hrs at 300. Absolutely amazing for street tacos.

Attachments

• Snapchat-1615096431.jpg
    Snapchat-1615096431.jpg
    897.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Snapchat-116224216.jpg
    Snapchat-116224216.jpg
    936.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 20201115_191007.jpg
    20201115_191007.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 21
  • 20201115_191158.jpg
    20201115_191158.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
We took inspiration from this thread and did a whole shoulder in the crockpot with French onion soup. 8 hours on low and added mushrooms, garlic, salt and pepper half way thru.

Shredded the shoulder blade and then condensed the stock and made gravy. It was really good. Kinda mad at myself for years of just grinding the front shoulders up.

Resurrecting this thread somewhat as it’s been on my mind since the beginning. After accidentally unplugging one of my freezers for a few days and loosing some meat I figured it was time to go through the three of them and get organized after season.
I found this smaller doe shoulder from the 2019 season buried at the bottom of one. I’ll have to report back tomorrow how it ends up as I didn’t get it on until almost 3 today. I have a couple more to do if I don’t screw this one up.
47A43F27-6128-4F9A-B624-EB74501FFB6F.jpeg

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishing-Moka
Back