Never bone out shoulder again

Ok, here is the After Action Review. Sorry no post photos as I forgot to get lettuce and the wife pulled the shoulder while I was gone.

Sustain:
It turned out very moist and fell off the bone.
3 out of 4 family members liked it.
My pickiest eater is now in a food comma on the couch watching the Packers loose.
1 hour on “smoke” in the Traeger left a beautiful 1/8” smoke ring on the meat

Improves:
The Chugwater steak rub was not the best choice for tacos. Use a dedicated taco seasoning

The Coke mix left it slightly sweet and washed out the smokey flavor. Omit it in favor of a cup of vegetable stock.

Overall it was a success, the leftover pulled shoulder meat will be tested with some BBQ sauce for lunch this week. I think that will get me 4 out of 4 likes.

If I were you, I’d next time use a chili based rub, and instead of beef stock I’d cover it with a Barbacoa sauce for your braising.

Sweet liquids like apple juice, Coke, Dr Pepper, etc are always good choices for a BBQ base flavor.

Minus the potatoes, that looks a lot like what our family calls Swiss steak. It is my favorite, I am saving the last Antelope shoulder we have for it on my Birthday in a couple weeks.

Minus the potatoes, that looks a lot like what our family calls Swiss steak. It is my favorite, I am saving the last Antelope shoulder we have for it on my Birthday in a couple weeks.
This wasn’t quite as fall off the bone tender as the antelope shoulder was. Probably could have went another 45 minutes but we were hungry.

Planning on doing something like this for Thanksgiving this year if I get a chance at a doe!

I do version of that was well but I just put it in the crock pot. Always turns out good pulls right of the bone.

I would take the flatiron steak off before you roast it out. One of the best steaks on an animal and it rarely gets utilized. You get 2 steaks, if you trim it right, off of 1 shoulder.

I would take the flatiron steak off before you roast it out. One of the best steaks on an animal and it rarely gets utilized. You get 2 steaks, if you trim it right, off of 1 shoulder.

I just took mine out of the freezer last night. Excited to try them!

If I were you, I’d next time use a chili based rub, and instead of beef stock I’d cover it with a Barbacoa sauce for your braising.

Sweet liquids like apple juice, Coke, Dr Pepper, etc are always good choices for a BBQ base flavor.
Concur or at least add a little sauce from a can of chilis in adobo sauce.

I cut the shank off a front shoulder of a deer I was processing today and saved the shoulder to try this way next time my inlaws come visit. Another plus to cutting roast is it speeds up processing times. Still have the other front quarter that I'm trying to decide what I want to do with as it's pretty blood shot.

Can't hardly keep the shanks in the southern parts of TX due to the cactus and mesquite thorns in them. I salvage what I can.

Smoked for 4 hours at 180. I rehydrated some guajillo peppers and put them in a blender with 4 tomatoes and garlic and a can of chipotle’s in adobo then poured the coke and sauce over the meat and vegetables. I also crushed 2 limes over it. Covered in the oven at 250 for 2 hours then checked it -not falling off yet. Then up to 300 for an hour. (Since I cant seem to follow directions) tasted great, but was a tad dry and tough.AA667DA9-2443-4A7D-92F0-5A2792F95DDC.jpeg86D50721-1064-434C-8496-1F22A2B4EA99.jpeg0998004C-7873-454C-A680-05342E9402E1.jpeg1590CCAA-22E5-45C2-91C7-A8C5A803421F.jpeg

Last edited:
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back