Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Need help with 300 Magnums.

35whelen

I have been looking into 300 magnums my local shop has a few in but wasn't sure what the pros and cons are of each. I was looking for something to take west with me and be able to use in my native Pa and Maine.

Weatherby Mrk V 300wby mag

Sako 85 300win mag.

Rem 700 300RUM

Cooper Classic 300 H&H.

They also have several guns in 300WSM

Find the gun that fits you best first as the rounds really aren't all that different. If you aren't a handloader I'd suggest you stick with the Win Mag or the WSM. More factory ammo options.

I have a Ruger in 300 win mag and love the bullet. I am shooting core lokt's right now and am happy with the results. But the nice thing is you can shoot the 150 grain "cheapo's" or go with the more expensive stuff. If the 300 short mag had been out when I bought my gun, I probbably would have went that direction.

I'm a fan of the .300 WBY cartridge but not so much the Mark V action.

Out of those choices, I'd probably go for the Sako/.300 Win. combo.

Really not much difference in performance, at least none that you will see with actual field performance. Get the one that feels the best to you.

Personally, if I could swing the 300H&H in a Cooper, I would be all over it. The H&H is just a cool round, and will do anything I would ever want it too. One day I'll find on in a pre-64 that I can't live without and it will come home with me.

Agree with 1 Pointer, unless you reload, the 300 win mag is the way to go. I would also add that whatever gun you choose put a brake on it as they are far more enjoyable to shoot. The Weatherbys are fantastic rifles, great actions, well made design. Sako again is a fantastic option. The Remington although again, a great choice would likely need a trigger job right away as the factory triggers are junk. The Coopers are also a very well made rifle. At the price point you are considering there are a lot of great choices. I ended up getting a Savage with a brake. It has a great trigger and is very accurate out of the box. Its in a 300 win mag. With the Brake on my 14 year old son can shoot 100 rounds a sitting without limitations except barrel cool down and ammo. We went through 80 rounds the day I picked it up and would have shot more if I bought more ammo. Kind of fun sitting on a hill side, picking out clumps and range finding them, looking at the ballistic software, dialing dope and seeing the hits.

Assuming you're just trying to determine caliber (excluding fit, recoil, etc), I would go with the Rem 700 300RUM.

I really like the cooper rifle it is very nice to look at but almost too nice to shoot.

They have a Christensen Steel Summit in 300 Win mag, and a Nosler 48M in 28 Nosler that clients had ordered that they are ready to move for most part clearance guns

The only two guns that do not have breaks on are the Sako, Cooper.

I have never really seen 300H&H ammo on the self anywhere.

I shoot two 300 mags. One a 300 SAUM with a 22' barrel and the other a 300 RUM with a 26" barrel. The shorter barrel is a much nicer package to hunt with in Mn. Ammo if factory loaded for the RUM is much more expensive than the Win mags either WSM or reg Win mag. If you reload any of them are great. I second the idea of picking the rifle first and then the cartridge.

I have been looking into 300 magnums my local shop has a few in but wasn't sure what the pros and cons are of each. I was looking for something to take west with me and be able to use in my native Pa and Maine.

Weatherby Mrk V 300wby mag

Sako 85 300win mag.

Rem 700 300RUM

Cooper Classic 300 H&H.

They also have several guns in 300WSM

Out of what you listed, my vote goes to the 300 win mag, with the 300 WSM as a close second. They are very popular rounds and ammo availability should not be a problem. They probably will be the least expensive as well. That being said, you do not need a 300 magnum to come out west. I kill deer and elk every year with a 270. Shot placement and bullet construction trump caliber everytime. But if you want one go for it! I just think that it's a common misconception that a mag is needed out here.

Really not much difference in performance, at least none that you will see with actual field performance. Get the one that feels the best to you.

Personally, if I could swing the 300H&H in a Cooper, I would be all over it. The H&H is just a cool round, and will do anything I would ever want it too. One day I'll find on in a pre-64 that I can't live without and it will come home with me.

Yep, the cool factor of the 300 H&H has always made me want one as well. Maybe not as practical, but I've got all the practical rifles I need.

I remember the first time I saw anyone fire a 300 H&H was around 1993-94. Ran into a guy at the Deer Creek Rifle Range that had one in a pre-64...beautiful rifle that shot every bit as good as it looked. Have been wanting a 300 H&H ever since. The guy told me it was his only big-game rifle.

Last edited:
Unless you reload, you will be hard-pressed to find ammo for the 300H&H, and it will be very pricey for the 300 WBY, and 300RUM. I would stick with the 300 win, or the WSM. both are great shooters, and recoil is more manageable than the weatherby or RUM. 180 grain Hornady SST out of a 300 win mag is a awesome combo.

From a practicality standpoint the 300 short or long...I'll give a slight edge to the short. Had a Wby but barked, bit, and ate too much.

I shoot two 300 mags. One a 300 SAUM with a 22' barrel and the other a 300 RUM with a 26" barrel. The shorter barrel is a much nicer package to hunt with in Mn. Ammo if factory loaded for the RUM is much more expensive than the Win mags either WSM or reg Win mag. If you reload any of them are great. I second the idea of picking the rifle first and then the cartridge.
I do exactly the same. I have a Rem 700 w/26" bbl in 300 RUM, and a Rem. Model 7 with a 20" bbl in 300 RSAUM. I love them both. I do handload, so finding factory loads isn't a problem. The big RUM loaded hot with a 180gr. Barnes TSX will do a real number on the biggest bull elk or moose at any reasonable range or angle. The little Model 7 is awesome in the timber sneaking around. I load a Barnes TSX 150 gr. in it., and have killed elk, deer and bears with it. I know that the more common 300 Win. is much easier to buy factory ammo for, as well as the WSM. I got away from the belted mags years ago.

What about the 338 win mag. I was reading where slower more dense bullets do less damage then faster moving bullets.

I like my RUM. It's crazy accurate, and it throws big elk bullets fast and flat that hit like a freight train. Practical? Nope. Not even close. Burns a ton of powder, and without a brake like mine, can be a handfull. On your list, get that Sako, or another rifle in .300 Winchester. mtmuley

As far as caliber I would go with the 300 Win Mag. It's available most everywhere. I never owned one but have a 300 H&H in a Model 700 and two Pre 64 in 300 Weatherby. All 3 shoot very well but factory ammo is limited for the H&H and expensive for the Weatherby. Handle all the rifle models available and chose the one that fits you the best.
Dan

I have hunted with a .300 wsm for nine or ten years. I have been nothing but pleased with it's performance. It's a flat shooting round with enough energy at long ranges to make short blood trails. My only complaint would be the cost of ammo these days. It makes it an expensive gun to take to the range if you don't reload.

I have a 300 rum with 26 inch barrel. Love it crazy accurate and I don't think it kicks that bad with the recoil pad I have on it and the wood stock. If I had it to do over again I might entertain a 300 win as the brass and factory loads are readily available. The specs between the two aren't that big to make me think now that the rum is all that much better but I love it so I will keep it. Hand loading really helps on the rum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back