ND Mule Deer: Shortest Hunt Ever

MNHunter

I found out in late summer I had drawn 1 of 2 NR mule deer tags in western North Dakota on my 8th year applying. I have a buddy who has family out that way so I was pointed in the right direction by his Uncle. In addition, Hunt Talker Buschy graciously spent time on the phone pouring over maps with me. The plan was to meet up with him out there after a few days.

My buddy and I drove through the night last Friday arriving in the unit on Saturday morning. We set up camp, had lunch and decided to spend the afternoon looking over some spots that weren’t too far from camp. The season was open and had been for a week or so so I carried my rifle. It was drizzling all afternoon and it made the trekking difficult, wet, messy, & cold but we managed to see a few deer. We watched some does and a smaller buck in the early afternoon before we decided to get back to the truck. It was going to get dark soon, I wasn’t exactly sure of the way out and we were essentially scouting for the morning. All of a sudden I saw a mule deer buck staring at me from 75 yards away. My buddy and I froze and looked him over. I didn’t really want to be done hunting already but I’ve always told myself that any animal Id shoot at the end of a hunt should be shot on the first day so I raised my rifle and put this guy down. I know there are larger bucks out there (and I hear Buschy already passed a few) but I’m very happy with him as my first Mule Deer. Sadly we headed home that night so I didn’t get to meet Buschy in person. I’m sure he will be posting a recap of his hunt and the big buck I have no doubt he will take.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 1,206
Last edited:
Very nice buck! While I can appreciate a long, grind-it-out hunt, I don't mind an easy one now and again! Congrats!

Way to go, Lee! I am pretty sure you made the right decision. The taxidermy bills seem to be racking up for you the last two years. Maybe next year we will be chasing Wolves up north.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back